Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultrasonic cleaner mixture

hi,
    Any of you have a recommendation a PCB cleaning mixture that works best for you????

Re: Ultrasonic cleaner mixture

I bought 20 liter ultrasonic cleaner I can clean whole laptop/desktop motherboards. This is the mixture I got from the seller, and they told me that this mixture is best for board cleaning:

Must clean without applying heat!

10 L - Isopropyl alcohol
    1 L - Apothecary gasoline
    100 mL - Acetone

Also, you can use these detergents, Mix with distilled water in proportion 1:10. It's best to use heat with the detergents, about 50° Celsius is the right temperature to clean.

http://www.renex.info/pokaz_kategorie.php?cid=400
    Last edited by razor_amd; 05-06-2016, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by razor_amd View Post
      I bought 20 liter ultrasonic cleaner I can clean whole laptop/desktop motherboards. This is the mixture I got from the seller, and they told me that this mixture is best for board cleaning:

Must clean without applying heat!

10 L - Isopropyl alcohol
      1 L - Apothecary gasoline
      100 mL - Acetone

Also, you can use these detergents, Mix with distilled water in proportion 1:10. It's best to use heat with the detergents, about 50° Celsius is the right temperature to clean.

http://www.renex.info/pokaz_kategorie.php?cid=400
      tnx

Comment

some more advises please:-)

Comment

Originally posted by predator0357 View Post
          hi,
          Any of you have a recommendation a PCB cleaning mixture that works best for you????
          Which machine model do you sugest for mobo's cleaning ?

Comment

First clean board with nitro thinner and a toothpaste (allow nitro to flow under bga's) then use your ultrasonic with distilled water with a few spoonfuls of caustic soda for about five minutes at 60 degrees celsius. Finally rinse with distilled water blow board with air and place on top of preheater for half an hour bringing up the heat cradually at 140 degrees celsius on top of board. Much more cheaper and perfect result.
            Last edited by atsio; 05-06-2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atsio View Post
              First clean board with nitro thinner and a toothpaste (allow nitro to flow under bga's) then use your ultrasonic with distilled water with a few spoonfuls of caustic soda for about five minutes at 60 degrees celsius. Finally rinse with distilled water blow board with air and place on top of preheater for half an hour bringing up the heat cradually at 140 degrees celsius on top of board. Much more cheaper and perfect result.
              tnx 4 the advise:-)
              But i have a simple ultrasonic that have 2 options 35W and 50W and i don't know how much C in each option.
              Do u know any mixture that suits my ultrasonic cleaner?

Comment

What is nitro ?
                And how do you aply the toothpaste, and mostly which kind of toothpaste ?
                Do you have a link for a video ?
                Thanks

Comment

First clean board with nitro thinner and a toothpaste (allow nitro to flow under bga's) then use your ultrasonic with distilled water with a few spoonfuls of caustic soda for about five minutes at 60 degrees celsius. Finally rinse with distilled water blow board with air and place on top of preheater for half an hour bringing up the heat gradually at 140 degrees celsius on top of board. Much more cheaper and perfect result.
                  Yes, the mixture is cheaper, but you have to heat up the ultrasonic heater, than you have to heat up board on the preheater, using electricity for both, and multiply that for every board. With the first mixture, there is no need to heat up the ultrasonic nor the need to dry the board. But yes it's expensive to fill the large container.

The second one I suggested is very cheap, even cheaper than yours.
                  The detergent is about 10€ a liter and can be found a lot cheaper, I got another detergent from a friend here I am paying about 20€ per 20 liter, and the mixture is made 0,5-1 liter detergent in 10 liter of water. So it basically cost me under 5€ to fill up the 18 liter ultrasonic cleaner. Than I only dip the board in that mixture for about 30min at 50-60 Celsius, afterwards I put it on the preheater for about an hour at 150 Celsius.

Originally posted by predator0357 View Post
                  tnx 4 the advise:-)
                  But i have a simple ultrasonic that have 2 options 35W and 50W and i don't know how much C in each option.
                  Do u know any mixture that suits my ultrasonic cleaner?
                  You have small ultrasonic cleaner about 1Liter or smaller?
                  If so, than just use Isopropyl alcohol

Comment

What does the manual say about the two power positions?

Comment

First of all, all manufacturers of ultrasonic equipment warn users of not using flammable liquids in ultrasonics because cavitation produces heat.
                      Secondly caustic soda heats the water. Also when I want to heat the water I will heat it in a plastic container with a heating element (not wait the weak heating element of the ultrasonic to heat it) and then pour it in the ultrasonic.
                      Thirdly , you have to wait for the board to dry before you apply any power to it. If you want to wait, no problem, do not put it on preheater.

Nitro type thinner is based on Toluene and you can find them in hardware stores, search google, you can use gasoline but is too flammable and I am a smoker or you can try other types of lacquer thinners.
                      Any toothbrush with soft hair. Deep the toothbrush in the liquid and brush the board. On bga's pour a small amount of the thinner under the bga.

razor_amd if I understand you well you are placing the board in the ultrasonic for half an hour and the board survives?
                      Last edited by atsio; 05-07-2016, 04:27 AM.

Comment

What does the manual say about the two power positions?
                        didn't buy it yet

Comment

More than half of the boards that I receive to clean come back to life after cleaning the spilled stuff. I have couple of board I have cleaned multiple times and they work fine.

My ultrasonic cleaner is custom made. Ultrasonic power is 300W and the heater power is 1KW, so I get a quick heat of the cleaning fluid. Dimmensions are 500x400x100 mm (WxHxD)
                          Last edited by razor_amd; 05-07-2016, 06:09 AM.

Comment

You do not need more than 4 minutes to clean the board. 5 minutes I am using is to be on the safe side. Long exposure to ultrasonic waves may damage quartz's and dissolve some types of smt coils. I've researched for building my own but I discovered it was the same price and even cheaper buying a new one from German ebay. You just buy an extra 2500w heat element for 6 euro http://www.ebay.com/itm/361060725216...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and you have and your quick heating. You can place it in the ultrasonic tank to heat the water but better to be on the safe side and heat it in a plastic container and then pour the water in the ultrasonic tank

Comment

the mixture i know is 9:1 9ml of IPA 99.95 and 1ml acetone.
                              this mixture is ok?

Comment

need more advises please.
                                more kinds of mixtures.

Comment

Add absolute alcohol to ultrasonic cleaner is suggested, and my friend said 15Liter Limplus ultrasonic cleaner has good effect, just 3~5minutes cleaning, he bought from here
                                  https://www.amazon.com/Limplus-Digit...asonic+cleaner

Comment

Branson EC cleaner - http://www.all-spec.com/Catalog/Chem...0-955-914-6768

I think its 100cc (or maybe ml??) to one gallon dist water. After a clean cycle, put the board in an alcohol bath to displace any water ... then dry in a low temp oven. Use with a proper ultrasonic cleaner ... not one of those cheap jewelry cleaners. Crest makes some nice cleaners ... albeit expensive.
                                    Last edited by katfish; 10-13-2016, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                    X