Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Repair PDF Resources

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone can recommend some resources for motherboard repair on general laptops etc.

Have been doing apple MacBook repairs for the last year or so so I understand the way they work with power rails but I'm at a loss when it comes to the Windows laptops

Ie, power rails sequences, power rail names, rail requirements l,

I watch a bit of north bridge fix and I notice he's always showing a short on a mosfet on most laptops etc, always checking on the gate of a mosfet or source drain etc

For mosfets my question is in circuit on a lptop motherboard what's the best procedure for testing them.

Thanks

Re: Laptop Repair PDF Resources

Don't go by what he puts on YouTube. He pretty much only goes after the jam jobs. He even says he never looks at a schematic. If it takes more than 30 mins to diagnose and fix, he sends it back as a no fix. So the faults pretty much have to stand out like dogs balls for him to fix. He has too many things to look at to do any serious troubleshooting.

If you can fix a MAC, you can fix a PC lappie. Use the same CPU's (up to the M1's at least) so power logic is the same.

Comment

I totally agree with @reformatt, don't follow Northridge Fix as he will lead you in a wrong way, he is looking just for the easiest fixes and doesn't even follow schematics. The guy is simply promoting his business on YouTube, better to watch Louis Rossmann videos (older ones), the principal is the pretty much the same as Windows laptops. And of course, read this forum well, there is a few guys that get deep into troubleshooting.
      I don't provide help for people using CH341A and a clip.

Comment

what has got me more caught is the naming of the lines and power sequence

Comment

Refer to the Logi Wiki for some resources.

https://logi.wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Power states like S5 through to S0 are the same for Intel based machines in PC and MAC. Most of the naming actually comes from Intel so are pretty similar between platforms. Probably the only major differences are how the initial rails are generated for the EC (SMC) and the battery charger.

In a MAC, you have the PP3V42_G3H to run the SMC. This would equate to a +3V rail for the EC in a PC. How this is generated varies in designs, it's either off an always on 3V power rail or a 3V LDO output from the 3V buck converter IC. Then you have power switch and the S4 rails start. Power good signals are required back to the EC for the next in sequence to start etc. All power rails need to be good for Vcore to be enabled etc, just like a MAC.

Comment

Working...
          X