Vizio E65-E1 strange image issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio E65-E1 strange image issue

Hi everyone. First new thread here. I picked up a TV on the side of the road. It appears to function correctly with the exception of an image issue I'm unable to describe. I've searched for “double picture” and “double image” all over the web and all I get is repair videos for when the picture is blurry and the connections are getting interference between the display panels and the t-con board. I believe this is a t-con board issue, but I haven't found anything telling me conclusively that this is where my issue is. I'd appreciate any assistance you can provide. I live a pretty busy life and don't really have the garage space to safely open up a 65” TV and follow all the electrical inputs and outputs at the moment. Can anyone tell me what this issue is technically called and confirm this is a bad t-con board or some other issue? If I can get a replacement board for this TV then I'd probably do it if the price was reasonable. Thank you in advance, I appreciate the help.

Note: sorry somehow the picture is upside down.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by remmurdmd; 10-02-2022, 09:14 PM. Reason: Note about the picture being upside down

Re: Vizio E65-E1 strange image issue

Looks like it is in split screen mode. Check user manual.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
      Looks like it is in split screen mode. Check user manual.
      Thank you for your prompt reply. I searched the user manual but could find no split screen mode. The symptom I'm having persists at all times - the boot screen, inputs, and menu screens show in double next to each other at all times. As far as I can tell, it is taking the full input, removing every other vertical display line (making everything look skinny), and duplicating the remaining display data on the other side of the display. There is no noticeable flickering or other display issues at this time. I just performed a factory reset and setup the display (throughout which it did the same display issue). It is currently downloading and installing some updates. I will report back if anything changes but so far the display issue persists.

Comment

After further probing around in all the menus, I noticed a system information page that was unable to tell me the resolution or audio type info. Also, the picture is grainy, as if it were a 480p image being forced onto a 1080p or 4K screen. I assume a main board would be responsible for processing the input data and processing it as output data to the t-con to be split up and sent to the respective display sides. Am I in the ballpark here?
        Attached Files

Comment

I could see this with some combinations of main boards and t-con's like RCA.
          Since your setup is original, my first guess would be a corrupted setting, but can't rule out hardware problem as well.
          I checked ebay, the boards for this TV are pretty cheap actually.

Comment

try turning down the backlights not brightness, see if it changes any, probably a gate driver issue, try the "tape cut-off method"
            Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-03-2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYnKJdddgns

Comment

Ok, my bad, wasn't signed in to look at pictures, assumed it was the usual double text situation, disregard post.

Comment

Originally posted by alfatv View Post
                  I could see this with some combinations of main boards and t-con's like RCA.
                  Since your setup is original, my first guess would be a corrupted setting, but can't rule out hardware problem as well.
                  I checked ebay, the boards for this TV are pretty cheap actually.
                  So you think there's a hidden setting somewhere that may have what I'm looking for? Would I need the original remote or could I get by with another Vizio that I have? Or maybe I could see that option from my phone? Obviously if there's a setting I can correct I'd prefer to do that instead of buying boards to swap out… thank you for your reply

Comment

Thank you. This is exactly the issue I'm having. I can't understand what they're saying though and my TV doesn't have this mode as far as I know. Any additional info you can provide me? Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                      Ok, my bad, wasn't signed in to look at pictures, assumed it was the usual double text situation, disregard post.
                      No worries. That's the only solutions I've been able to find online. Something for that ghosted image look.

Comment

Originally posted by remmurdmd View Post
                        So you think there's a hidden setting somewhere that may have what I'm looking for? Would I need the original remote or could I get by with another Vizio that I have? Or maybe I could see that option from my phone? Obviously if there's a setting I can correct I'd prefer to do that instead of buying boards to swap out… thank you for your reply
                        Vizio remotes are usually compatible.
                        You need to get into service menu.
                        Search for codes, there are few combinations. If it works, you will see.
                        But I can't guarantee split screen setting is there.

Comment

i think if you feed the tv with signal... and try to record the video output on VCR for example or any , when you replay the record you will see its clear image or double to narrow the issue. so as solo method its hard to make judgment.. also the history of this issue you don't know.. could some one missed with service menu and lost the correct setting.

Comment

I’d like to revisit this again if you all would provide your input. I found the service menu and checked all settings in there for a split screen setting, to no avail. While I was working on this, I noticed that the two images on the left and right sides are not the same. It’s as if the vertical sets of picture data are first being sent to the left side of the panel, then the next set of data is sent to the right side of the panel, and so on until the entire image is displayed on the screen. I know this because, for example on a letter “M”, the left “pole” of the M is missing from the left side of the panel yet it appears on the right side of the panel. I’ll try to get a picture up here, but it’s like this “vI” on the left side and this “Iv” on the right side. If you can pretend that my vI and Iv are supposed to look like “M”.

So long story short, what’s the likely culprit here? Correct me if I’m wrong but Tcon is supposed to take the full picture data and split it up onto the two separate sides of the screen. It seems like it has forgotten to actually split up the incoming image and is just taking what it’s receiving and throwing it up on the screen while alternating left and right sides. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Comment

the t-cons are pretty reasonable if you want to try one, try to match up the numbers on the white sticker to insure a match: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15

Comment

Working...
                              X