mac 820-00165a no power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mac 820-00165a no power on

hi all, I got this motherboard that initially gave no signs of life, no magsafe light, I was missing P3V3_S5_REG_L, because no signal P3V3S5_EN_R

reballato smc the macbook came back to life, the next day it came back with the same symptom no sign of life and P3V3_S5_REG_L P3V3S5_EN_R
    missing

L7130 and 8.12v
    L7095 G3h 3.42V

SMC_BC_ACOK 3.30 V
    PM_SLP_S5_L 0V

PP5V_S5 0V

SMC_PM_G2_EN 0V

PPBUS_S5_HS_OTHER_ISNS 8.12

P5VP3V3_VREG3 3.40

now I have no light on magsafe, wearily sometimes the light is there, the fan starts for 10 seconds and stops

possible smc failure?
    Attached Files

Re: mac 820-00165a no power on

No light on magsafe means you do not have 3v42?

Can you confirm it?

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      No light on magsafe means you do not have 3v42?

Can you confirm it?

PP3V42_G3H always at 3.42
      almost always no light, sometimes the light returns to the green magsafe, but it does not start

Comment

After the fan stops, does it turn ON again and power cycle in a loop ?

When the magsafe light is off - what is the PPBUS_G3H voltage ?

Does PPBUS_G3H power cycle ?

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
          After the fan stops, does it turn ON again and power cycle in a loop ?

When the magsafe light is off - what is the PPBUS_G3H voltage ?

Does PPBUS_G3H power cycle ?
          now I get magsafe green steady light, sometimes it remains spent, however there is no fan rotation, PPBUS_G3H fixed at 8.12V

all tests without battery

even without green light I get 8.12V
          Last edited by reset1986; 10-03-2022, 02:34 PM.

Comment

SMC isn't running. Check the usual suspects, J6100 for crap, crap around SMC reset cct U5110, check for SMC_RESET_L and PP3V3_S5_AVREF_SMC at the SMC itself etc. If all good, then check Y5110 to see if it's biased and there is a clock.

Sometimes weird shit on these boards is crap under a BGA and ultrasonic fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by reformatt View Post
              SMC isn't running. Check the usual suspects, J6100 for crap, crap around SMC reset cct U5110, check for SMC_RESET_L and PP3V3_S5_AVREF_SMC at the SMC itself etc. If all good, then check Y5110 to see if it's biased and there is a clock.

Sometimes weird shit on these boards is crap under a BGA and ultrasonic fixes it.
              clean motherboard, measured u5110

SMC_RESET_L 1.20 V

SMC_LSOC_RST_L 3.3v

SMC_ONOFF_L 3.3v

PP3V3_S5_AVREF_SMC 3.3v

SMC_MANUAL_RST_L 2.7v

PP3V42_G3H_SMC_SPVSR 3.42

PP3V42_G3H 3.42v

Comment

SMC_RESET_L initially gets pulled low by U5100, but then should be pulled to 3.3V by R5100, so 1.2V isn't right. Check the resistance on this line, clean J6100 with IPA and toothbrush. You can remove U5100 to see if it comes up to 3.3V as well.

Comment

SMC_RESET_L initially gets pulled low by U5100, but then should be pulled to 3.3V by R5100, so 1.2V isn't right. Check the resistance on this line, clean J6100 with IPA and toothbrush. You can remove U5100 to see if it comes up to 3.3V as well.
                  u5100 is not present, I have u5110, unsoldering u5110 I always have low 0.8 / 1V SMC_RESET_L

the resistance is high there are no dispersions,

also unsoldered R7100 to check if SMC_RESET_L returned high but does not change

R5100 at around 90Koms is ok

I think of a broken smc, do you think?

Comment

Sorry meant U5110. Without that installed, SMC_RESET_L should be 3.3V (pulled up by R5100). First ensure that the pads underneath R5100 are ok (sometimes these are corroded and not making a good connection with liquid damage). You've isolated the ISL chip, so the only other places are J6100 or the SMC itself. Eliminate any issues with J6100 first then try a reflow of the SMC.

Comment

Sorry meant U5110. Without that installed, SMC_RESET_L should be 3.3V (pulled up by R5100). First ensure that the pads underneath R5100 are ok (sometimes these are corroded and not making a good connection with liquid damage). You've isolated the ISL chip, so the only other places are J6100 or the SMC itself. Eliminate any issues with J6100 first then try a reflow of the SMC.
                      The smc was reballed as the first operation, but it does not change, to replace the smc it is necessary to take from an identical card?

Comment

So if you remove the SMC, does your reset line now measure 3.42V? PP3V42_G3H is independant of the SMC, so should still be active regardless of whether the SMC is on the board. If that measures correct with the SMC off the board, consider to replace it (or look at your flux/soldering of the SMC itself).

You can now use a 820-3437 SMC on a 820-00165 board and reprogram the firmware. There is a tool on Github to do that, only requirement is that the board still has to boot. I've tested it successfully with a 3437 SMC on a 00165 board and it works great. Good option as there are plenty of crappy 3437 1.4G 4G boards out there for parts.

https://github.com/MuertoGB/SMCTool

Comment

So if you remove the SMC, does your reset line now measure 3.42V? PP3V42_G3H is independant of the SMC, so should still be active regardless of whether the SMC is on the board. If that measures correct with the SMC off the board, consider to replace it (or look at your flux/soldering of the SMC itself).

You can now use a 820-3437 SMC on a 820-00165 board and reprogram the firmware. There is a tool on Github to do that, only requirement is that the board still has to boot. I've tested it successfully with a 3437 SMC on a 00165 board and it works great. Good option as there are plenty of crappy 3437 1.4G 4G boards out there for parts.

I remove smc and see if it withdraws the reset line up, in the case of reprogramming firmware with programmer, is there a guide?

Comment

ok, i have smc and the reset line is back to 3.30v, i will have to look for a compatible smc

Comment

smc was soldered properly ?

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                                smc was soldered properly ?
                                I think so, when cold the mac started for 20 seconds then turned off

Comment

Originally posted by reset1986 View Post
                                  I remove smc and see if it withdraws the reset line up, in the case of reprogramming firmware with programmer, is there a guide?
                                  All of the info needed is on the Github page. You can also refer to Paul Daniels YouTube video on it. The board has to be able to boot with the donor SMC in order to reprogram it.

https://youtu.be/q8LEh8C4iYo

Also make sure you are using a good quality no clean flux.

Comment

May I ask if the repair process is that you removed the faulty SMC from the Mainboard 820-00165, then took the SMC from the Mainboard 820-3437 and made the ball pins and installed it on the Mainboard 820-00165, plugged in the USB with SMCTool. Turn on the Mainboard 820-00165, display the Boot Menu, select USB SMCTool ...

Now, I only know that the SMC on the Mainboard 820-3437 vs 820-00165 can be interchanged as you said
                                    how to find information interchangeably in different circuit boards?

thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                    X