Suitable replacement for shorted rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suitable replacement for shorted rectifier

Dealing with a 90W Astec PSU with a shorted 12V rectifier. What is a suitable replacement for the one shown? Not finding anything out there for this.

Attached Files
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Re: Suitable replacement for shorted rectifier

Fep16dt, this is the 200v version, I would use FEP16GT-E3/45 (400v) or FEP16JT-E3/45 (600v)
    Last edited by R_J; 09-22-2020, 08:12 PM.

Comment

"GI" is General Instruments. Per this, https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...f1f8a30f9f.pdf , I think that's a 150V part. Both Mouser and Digi-Key carry the part.

The date code on the part looks like early 1989, so it might be worthwhile to check the output caps (and if you replace them, probably an older series would be better for stability).
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

i'll echo what RJ sez. Digikey or mouser have plentiful.

Comment

For an old-ass PSU like that with a rather weak 12V rail, it probably really isn't that important what rectifier you get on the 12V rail.

Though if you really wanted something closer to the original, just about any 16 Amp, 100-200V -rated FR (fast recovery) rectifier in TO-220 case would do.

I agree with PeteS; check the output caps. They're over 30 years old now. Surely there are older e-caps still in service. But generally, if the device has been sitting powered off / unplugged for many years, it's best to check the caps or maybe even reform/recondition them before applying full power (that is, if you don't intend to replace them because they are bulky/expensive.)

Comment

Working...
          X