Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topcat's XPS 625 Revival - X8SAX then K8N-DL and finally P6X58-E WS; First 2021 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Topcat's XPS 625 Supermicro X8SAX Revival; First 2021 Build!

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    I'll buy 'em (used) if the price is right and if I can get decent caps to swap in.
    Still to this date don't have the proper supplies to even change a single cap properly!

It don't help that I'm planning to move my stuff to a bigger room in this house.

I currently have a room that gets cluttered when I'm working on other PCs, LOL.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
      Of course! I was talking about what is bad for Antec PSU standards. (especially expectations)
      Ah, noted.

Yeah, the CWT Antec PSUs weren't that great indeed. But FWIW in those days, they were actually OK (minus the crap caps obviously.) With good caps, I bet many of them would still be working fine today. Even more so, those old CWT designs did not have APFC or any other modern "exotic" circuits - just a simple half-bridge, IIRC, with a 2-transistor 5VBS. Very simple designs and not the most efficient by any means... but put good caps on them, and they last forever. Hence why I still choose to repair many older PSUs today.

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
      Now, a PSU is usually on my ban list for having cap brands with a reported history of problems.
      Well, you're missing out on a lot of good PSUs then - that is, PSUs that you can potentially get for cheap and fix up with good caps.

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      I'll buy 'em (used) if the price is right and if I can get decent caps to swap in.
      +1
      If you can pickup an older PSU like that for near scrap prices and put new caps in it, you get more bang for your buck... and I don't mean this in a pun way, like with PowMax or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        Hmm...
        I see that's a board with nVidia nForce 4 chipset... so that could also be the reason why, especially if the chipset fan failed (somewhat common for those small 40 mm screamer fans.) And in general, I think anything nForce 3 and newer isn't very reliable... though nowhere near as bad as the nForce 6100/6150 and later chipsets like the 680 and 780 (all those "for parts" EVGA 680i/780i -SLI are a prime example of that.)

But fingers crossed yours is just down to a bad PSU.

That would be really nice. Should spare you (hopefully) some more hair pulling by not having to figure out how to make the original Alienware LED controller work anymore.
        Just as suspected......PSU was bad. Fan did not quit, board works (can't say I wasn't a little nervous). Opteron 890 test was successful!

Attached Files
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Is it just me or is the whole "upside down" motherboard thing absolutely brilliant and should be the norm? Even from an aesthetic perspective pretty much any GPU looks better that way.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          Just as suspected......PSU was bad. Fan did not quit, board works (can't say I wasn't a little nervous). Opteron 890 test was successful!
          Oh man if I ever need 30 old GPUs with VGA I know who to call

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            Is it just me or is the whole "upside down" motherboard thing absolutely brilliant and should be the norm? Even from an aesthetic perspective pretty much any GPU looks better that way.
            I've always liked it better that way....very few cases did it.

...and here we go... As old as this system core is, I find it unlikely it'll ever be pulled to go back to work!! There were a few nice things about this; for one, the 'notch' in the board. Guess what that did? It allowed the original HDD cages to be reinstalled with just a very light shaving of the caddy guide tracks. Modding them for the X8SAX would have required cutting the entire corner out. I'm glad I opted not to do that! Both cages fit and clear the motherboard by a good 2mm.

This opened up an opportunity to make this a little more period-specific. I pulled the 480gb SSD and will use it on something else. I'll instead use my last 2 300gb Velociraptors in a raid1 on the onboard Silicon Image 3114 RAID controller. This controller is not the greatest, but by today's standard it's not like it really matters for what this thing is.

Yea, nice fit!! Since I am only using 2 drives, I only installed one cage. I'd rather have the air flow than a second empty cage.

The usual butt shot, showing off the shiny IO shield...

The front panel connectors are in a really grabastic place on this board, and the stock wires would not reach....I had to fabricate a small extension harness, but not actually cut/modify the originals. I just tinned the ends of the harness and slipped them into the plugs of the original.....and then a little electric tape. The new harness is encased in heatshrink tubing.

Not the prettiest.....but I can live with it.

So far so good!

GPU installed and wires tied up.... The GPU isn't very period-specific for this, it's about 3yrs too late...but I didn't feel like digging through the bin of nicer GPU's for one that would be more period-specific. I have a 9800GT around somewhere, that would have probably been a better choice...but then I'd have to go find it. So for now, it's the 560ti.

Assembled butt shot.

The usual Win7 install. The RAID controller never had an 'official' raid driver for anything beyond XP.....but me is crafty....

Compared to the hexcore Westmere that was in here, this is a huge downgrade....but it sure does look good!! ...and it's a lot closer to what the system originally was.

...and that's that!!

A couple screenshots:

The improvised system specs are:

Asus K8N-DL
            2x Dual Core Opteron 890's; four cores @ a blistering 2.8GHz!!
            6gb ECC RAM (supports 24gb, but this is what came with it)
            GeForce GTX 560ti 1gb GPU (I may change that at some point)
            2x 300gb Velociraptors in a RAID1

What a fun build.....especially since I got to do it twice!!
            Attached Files
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Topcat's XPS 625 Revival - X8SAX then K8N-DL and finally P6X58-E WS; First 2021 Buil

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              What a fun build.....especially since I got to do it twice!!
              Well....I get to do this one for a third time!! ....and this time it was a real gas!!! 2 years later almost to the day, I found myself redoing this one. I was never really thrilled with the K8N-DL setup; it wasn't really a good 'fit' for this case...but the X8SAX had to be pulled to go into a production rig and I didn't want to just leave it incomplete; hence the K8N-DL....

I came into an Asus P6X58-E WS LGA1366 some time back (forgot I had it actually)... I ran into it the other day and BAM, this case came to mind. I've been pondering for a while what would be a good matching for this case....and this board won by a mile over others I was considering. This board is very rare in that it contains 3x 16x PCIe slots all @ 16x capacity....so I'm sure you can figure out where this is going. These boards are nearly impossible to find now. I tested the board in the oven to verify function, it was good....and here we go!

First thing that had to be determined was the abilities of the power supply. If you looked at the oven test, you'll see this board is very 3.3v heavy, which I thought odd....I figured it would be a hefty 12v sucker....but its loads on the 12v rail were light. The power supply is a Dell branded 750W with a 30A 3.3v rail, plenty adequate, so onward (see page 1 for an interior view of PSU).

Case opened....and the K8N-DL Removed.

The new guts!

Easy peasy

Had to remove the floppy/card reader combo and replaced it with a Dell branded Teac card reader. This board doesn't have a floppy controller on it....so obviously no need for a floppy drive.

Now for the fun and why the three 16x slots were so important to this build!!

A 3-way SLI!! Ok ok ok SLI haters, I already know... SLI is a thing of the past by modern standards, but all this hardware is ~2010 era...just a soon-to-be neat piece of computing history. Boards capable of a 3-way SLI with 3x full speed 16x slots are not easy to find. The GPU's are GTX285's, all matching firmwares....a very good pairing for this board & CPU.

120gb SSD.

Now that's a butt shot!!

Partially tidied up. I have 24gb of RAM coming for it, I'll put the finishing touches on it when it arrives.

The lighting is still cool!!

POST'ed.

Installing Win7.

SLI is happy!

...and here we are...the version 3 of the goat barn find!!

So the specs are now:

Asus P6X58-E WS Motherboard
              Xeon X5690 hexcore @ 3.46GHz (Westmere)
              24GB ECC RAM
              3x GTX285's in a 3-way SLI
              120gb SSD
              Dell 750W PSU - Not sure who makes it, but it's well built

The rest is already known. It has a decade or more to go to achieve 'retro status'....but it is definitely an oddity already between the case and what's now in it.
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Working...