Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung HP-R5072 Plasma - Poor picture quality

Hello All,

I recently fixed this TV for a no power/no standby condition with the guidance of TV timmy and RJ. Replaced the main power supply board and a bulging cap on the Y-sus board. TV work perfectly and I unplugged it as a precaution. Went to use it the other day. After starting off as a blank screen, about 15 minutes later it looks like this.

Where should I start? Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung HP-R5072 Plasma - Poor picture quality

So I found the X-sus T6.3A fuse blown and replaced it with a T8.0A. from the old PS board and powered up. The screen stayed blank and I heard relays cycling repeatedly. The 8.0A fuse did not blow. Powered it back up with no fuse and I'm back to where I started.

Ordered a $20 X-sus board from E-bay. Will replace and see what happens.

Comment

Yeah that’s the best call is this a set with IPM units rather than transistors ?
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Thanks RB123. I see many transistors. Not sure about Intelligent Power Module (IPM)? Haven't had any formal education with electronics since early 90's so I may have missed a few things.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hey it’s ok don’t worry, the power supply has bad capacitors also I noticed. On a set this age and knowing how hot these run Id probably suggest a full recap of the PSU and Ysus/Xsus. My TV has recently been done lots of bad smaller caps of even high quality brands the bigger ones are normally fine, but they are all starting to fail in devices that run warm.

So the Xsus fuse that failed is for the power modules one of them must be failed-internal transistors short out, they can be replaced though for normal SDM parts. Might be easier and cheaper to just replace the board rather than desoldering and sourcing parts. The PSU will also need all of its capacitors replacing which is my best advise or it will fail next more than likely. Good luck these older plasmas will keep chugging on and the panels in these don’t normally fail with address faults either so they are pretty reliable.

Edit: Ugh 3 power supplies that’s a nightmare ��
          Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 05-10-2021, 02:00 PM.
          Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

So just to clarify, the photo of the power supply board RB123 is referring to is the original board prior to a repair attempt. I replaced all the bulging caps but the no power/no standby condition persisted. This is when I ordered a replacement board and eventually fixed it. Further diagnosis with the help of RJ determined it was likely a failure of U101 which is well beyond my repair capabilities.

So the X-sus board arrived today and I replaced it. The picture is back and looks great! However, there's a buzzing noise that appears to be coming from the left side. Sounds like it's from the Y-sus board. Any ideas what this might be?
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm going to try a different Y-sus board along with upper and lower buffers and see what happens.

Comment

Plasmas do normally buzz, how loud is it ?

Comment

Do plasma TVs normally buzz at utility AC frequency like CRT TVs?
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                  X