Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emerson LC391EM3 - Constant High Pitch Sound

Hi all!

So I have an Emerson 39" tv with a model number of: LC391EM3. The problem is the screen will not come on and once plugged in, there is a constant high pitched whine coming from the power board. The area it is coming from is circled in the attached photo.

Once you unplug the flex going to the main board from the power board the whining stops. I am leaning towards a bad PSU board that is not putting enough power out for the main board, but then again I thought I would ask for some input on this as well.

- Jeff
    Attached Files

Re: Emerson LC391EM3 - Constant High Pitch Sound

You have shorted circuit that drawing too much current from the power supply.
    You need to check ALL the diodes in the power supply, check the resistance between GND and the Voltage output pins of the power supply to see if any one of them shows very low resistance. Do not try to power up the unit otherwise you may cause more damages.
    http://www.shopjimmy.com/magnavox-a2...pply-unit.htm#
    Magnavox / Emerson A21T0MPW-001 Power Supply for 39MF412B/F7 / LC391EM3
    Part Number: A21T0MPW-001
    Board Number(s): BA21T0F0102 1, A21T0MPW, A21T1MPW
    Last edited by budm; 10-31-2016, 09:57 AM.
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

These are the parts included in the repair kit for this fault so maybe check all these parts too
      Part Number: A21N0MPW-001 Repair Kit
      Kit Includes
      Description Quantity Board Location
      Fuse 1 F601
      Resistor 1 R611
      Transistors 3 Q501, 601, 602
      Diodes 8 D601, 602, 603, 604, 607, 608, 609, 653
      Capacitor 1 C605

Comment

I have the same TV with the same whine when the main board is plugged in to the power supply. Did you ever find your problem? I see people on ebay that sell repair kits, one specifically for the whine and won't turn on. It includes what looks like 3 surface mount caps and is cheap enough to try, but I'm not even sure it is the main board or the power supply.

Comment

I should mention that I pulled and checked all the parts that vinceroger69 mentioned and they all test fine.

Comment

Trying to find my old thread. I recall I found a service manual and there was a shorted chip cap on one of the regulator rails on the main board. You should be able to measure a short on the supply voltage input of the main board to ground.

Add - found it. Philips and Emerson are the same. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76666
            Last edited by neilc6; 06-09-2021, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks neilc6. Unfortunately, my ps and main boards are different from those in that thread, so troubleshooting is tough, especially without a schematic. I did check resistance from the various power supplies to ground with the main board connected and disconnected. I did see low resistance (24 ohms) at the P-ON-12V when the main board was connected. Disconnected it was 200 ohms or higher, changing as the capacitor charged.

Comment

That Emerson TV, looks like shit! Sure not like the Emerson plasma TV that we have here!

Also, you're describing a squealing sound, like my PowMax LPxxxx series 300W PSU, (back when Leadman didn't look as bad, as that was in the early-2000s) when I was hoping that it would be better than the first Deer PSU that I had! But I think it wasn't really!
                (except no dark brown spots all over the place, unlike the first Deer PSU that I had)
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-09-2021, 03:53 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Also most likely be a bad inductor or transformer.

Comment

I fixed it! I found the service manual/schematic in another post for a different model, but same boards. Without that, it would have ended up in the trash. The problem was on the main board, specifically C3103 (a tiny surface mount capacitor near IC3008) was shorted. I found it by checking the resistances of the various power supplies (or rather their loads) and the P-ON-12V was 10 ohms. Pulled 2 other caps before finding the bad one.

I'm reposting the service manual in case anyone else is looking for it.

A question for the experts: I don't have a replacement capacitor and it powers up fine without it. The question is, is it necessary for long term reliability? It is 4.7uF and is in parallel to a 47uF electrolytic on the Vin line supplying a voltage regulator. There is another 4.7uF cap in parallel, but is 2-3" away.

Thanks!
                    T
                    Attached Files

Comment

The caps are for filtering noise on the supply voltage rails for each regulator and are placed next to each IC. Will work without it but if you want to replace it, Digikey ships USPS to US with no min or Ebay may have sellers that ship small volumes.
                      Last edited by neilc6; 06-11-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tbsmith View Post

A question for the experts: I don't have a replacement capacitor and it powers up fine without it. The question is, is it necessary for long term reliability?

T
                        This cap is at input of buck regulator.
                        Without it:
                        - regulator operation may be unstable
                        - electrolytic cap next to it will be stressed
                        - unwanted electromagnetic (radio) interference is created

If possible, use larger size (physically bigger, not capacitance) capacitor with voltage rating of 25V or more.
                        There are some not populated caps in parallel, you can install those too, more is better.
                        Last edited by alfatv; 06-11-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info and explanations! I found a 6.7uF SMD cap that is a little bigger physically, but was able to solder it in. All back together and ready for duty. Hopefully the difference in capacitance isn't going to be a problem...if so, should I just remove it and go without?

Ya'll are great!

Comment

Working...
                          X