• Time
  • Show
Clear All

P4i65G motherboard

Hi to all
    I have the above old motherboard and I decided to upgrade it
    the problem is that it has sata 1 1.5gb baud rate
    If I use ssd disk sata2 3gb baud rate
    first i will have some compatibility problem you say?
    and secondly do you think my computer speed will improve or is it not worth it?

Re: P4i65G motherboard

hi again
    can i use a pci 32bits to sata 3 so i can use ssd disk ?

Comment

PCI is limited to 133MB/sec shared with all slots on the bus.
      You will not get better performance that way.
      SATA is backwards compatible so the 3G drive should work on a 1.5G port.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

*EDIT*
        Mr. Hansson beat me to the answer by 3 minutes.
        Essentially my post below is the same info, but not written as neatly or concisely.

Originally posted by Xristakis795 View Post
        Hi to all
        I have the above old motherboard and I decided to upgrade it
        the problem is that it has sata 1 1.5gb baud rate
        If I use ssd disk sata2 3gb baud rate
        first i will have some compatibility problem you say?
        99.99% of the time, no, you won't have a problem. SATA II is backwards compatible to SATA I.

and secondly do you think my computer speed will improve or is it not worth it?
        It really depends on the hard drive you'll be using.

Just because a hard drive has SATA connection does not necessarily mean it will be faster than an IDE drive. It all depends on the age, capacity, and RPM of the HDD. Generally, newer HDDs with higher capacity also tend to have higher read/write speeds. RPM decreases the seek time, which also helps out a lot.

And of course, all of the above applies to mechanical HDDs. If you have an SSD - even if it is an IDE SSD - it will absolutely destroy any mechanical HDD in terms of performance.

In regards to controller speed... there really isn't that much of a difference between IDE/PATA and SATA I, so the upgrade may not be worth it simply for the interface switch. Now, going from SATA I to SATA II could yield some performance increase *IF* the hard drive is fast enough to make a difference.

But in reality, most mechanical HDDs will hardly sustain over 100 MB/s... so technically, even IDE interface can still handle the speeds OK.

So again... it all really comes down to what hard drive you have currently and what HDD you're planning to "upgrade" to.

can i use a pci 32bits to sata 3 so i can use ssd disk ?
        Most likely yes.
        However, keep in mind that 32-bit PCI bus is limited to about 133 MB/s. Therefore, using the SATA I interface on your board will likely still yield faster data transfers than SATA III on a 32-bit PCI bus - at least with an SSD. For regular mechanical HDD, it probably won't matter too much.
        Last edited by momaka; 05-20-2021, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          SATA is backwards compatible so the 3G drive should work on a 1.5G port.
          Originally posted by momaka View Post
          99.99% of the time, no, you won't have a problem. SATA II is backwards compatible to SATA I.
          yes and i can tell u the 0.1% of the time it doesnt work is if it involves a via chipset board or via pci sata/ide expansion card.

the sata connectors on via chipsets cant backwards negotiate the speed. so e.g. if u use a sata2 drive on a via chipset that supports only sata1, it wont work or detect the drive. some drives let u set a jumper on the hard drive to force the sata speed to a lower speed that will allow the drive to be detected by those buggy via chipset boards. i have one just like that on my asus a8v s939 board!!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the helpful info
            I would like to ask two more questions
            I currently have the HDD WD2500AAJS with the following features
            Performance
            Drive Transfer Rate 300 MBps (external) / 121.5 MBps (internal)
            Seek Time 8.9 ms (average) / 21 ms (max)
            Track-to-Track Seek Time 2 ms
            Average Latency 4.2 ms
            Spindle Speed 7200 rpm
            In case I put in its place an ssd eg Kingston A400 240GB can I calculate somewhat if I connect it to sata 1 how much faster will my computer become compared to before?

additionally this motherboard has two ports sata 1 and sata 2 1.5 gb / s if i get a ssd 120 gbyte cheaper compared to 240 gbyte and i put in it operating system and programs and hdd i leave it for video images etc again it will not be faster than before;

Comment

In case I put in its place an ssd eg Kingston A400 240GB can I calculate somewhat if I connect it to sata 1 how much faster will my computer become compared to before?
              It will be about 4000 times faster, the reason is not the transfer speed.
              The first SSD's released like Intel X25-M where quite slow.
              But the important thing is the seek time, which is in the 0.1ms range for any good SSD.
              This is why the computer feels so much faster, but it is hard to see from the specifications and speed ratings...
              And yes if you use a smaller SSD + a mechanical HDD to store pictures and movies etc it makes no difference.
              Because a mechanical HDD is "fast enough" for such basic tasks.
              But it is not fast enough for a modern operating system (by modern I would say anything made in the last 25 years!!!)
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I currently have the HDD WD2500AAJS
                Familiar with that WD HDD gen, it's clearly from the socket 775 era. (most likely the same era as 65nm Core2)

IIRC, that's a 250 GB 7 K HDD. (232 GiB)
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-22-2021, 09:57 AM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I currently have the HDD WD2500AAJS
                  I know these HDDs very well and have used them in several systems. They are actually very fast for a mechanical HDD due to being a single platter design with relative low seek time and decent cache. In fact, I have one in this Dell PC that I use for gaming mostly (though I also added an SSD for a few of the games on there for faster loading times), and from the time I press the power button to the time the PC is sitting on the desktop and ready to use is maybe 15 seconds? 20 tops. That's of course with a super lean and clean install of Windows 7. With Windows 8 or 10, don't expect to see that kind of performance any day.

Give the seek time is about 100 times smaller (or better) than regular HDDs, you can expect the I/O performance to increase by just as much.

additionally this motherboard has two ports sata 1 and sata 2 1.5 gb / s if i get a ssd 120 gbyte cheaper compared to 240 gbyte and i put in it operating system and programs and hdd i leave it for video images etc again it will not be faster than before;
                  Well, the OS will load much faster due to the SSD. And for images and video storage, you probably won't notice much of a difference between SSD and HDD, simply because those don't require fast storage most of the time (exception of course being saving and transferring many and large video files frequently.)

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                  It will be about 4000 times faster
                  Well, IDK about 4000 times faster now.
                  But certainly expect to gain at least 10-20 times the I/O speed.
                  For example, when I had just the 250 GB WD HDD in the Dell PC I linked above and did updates on some of my games, normally I'd see the I/O speed in the range of 40-50 MB with the WD HDD. But once I installed a 128 GB SSD, I saw the I/O increase to 400-500 MB - or roughly *at least* 10x better performance. And of course, the access time being much slower, the difference in speed certainly felt faster than 10x. And this is further showing, because a lot of games I can no load in 20-30 seconds... whereas before, some of these would take 1-2 minutes. So that's a nice improvement, I think.

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                  yes and i can tell u the 0.1% of the time it doesnt work is if it involves a via chipset board or via pci sata/ide expansion card.

the sata connectors on via chipsets cant backwards negotiate the speed. so e.g. if u use a sata2 drive on a via chipset that supports only sata1, it wont work or detect the drive. some drives let u set a jumper on the hard drive to force the sata speed to a lower speed that will allow the drive to be detected by those buggy via chipset boards. i have one just like that on my asus a8v s939 board!!
                  Interesting.
                  Which VIA chipset did your A8V have?

I have an A8V-MX, and I don't recall ever running into that issue... though it's possible the HDDs I used on that motherboard were all SATA I and not SATA II. I'll have to check what HDDs I've connected to that mobo before.
                  Last edited by momaka; 05-22-2021, 02:54 PM.

Comment

so sir Hansson
                    I will use an ssd disk 120 gbyte for os and programs as primary sata 1 slot
                    and the currently Hdd for images as secondary sata 2 slot and my computer will be 4000 times more fast
                    Thanks a lot for the answers
                    simply because i have not done it again can if i find it difficult to claim about what divisions i have to do in the bios

Comment

Hello again
                      Eventually I decided to replace my old disk with a 240 gb ssd
                      My question is the old disk connecting to the motherboard with cable for sata 1 I will use the same cable and in the new ssd or must i buy new wire eg . for sata 3 ?
                      Additional in your opinion is necessary to change bios settings or leave it as it is;

Comment

The cable should be fine, they are generally always the same.
                        That said sometimes they get bad connection, so if you have problems just replace it...

Comment

ok sir Hansson
                          As far as the bios is concerned, do you think that it will need to be changed or will it remain as it is?

Comment

Yes the latest BIOS can always be a good idea for new hardware support.
                            In fact they list allot of fixes for hard drives which is unusual so I would upgrade it.
                            https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P4i6...ex.us.asp#BIOS

P.S: I also see that on the pictures the board uses OST and Chemi-Con (UCC) capacitors so I would check them to make sure they are still ok!

Comment

Working...
                            X