X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    I'm not overly fond of them.....but laying in bed browsing, reading, looking for cool stuff, a laptop can't be beat (I can't stand tablets).
    "Bed is for sleeping" <grin> By the time I admit that I really NEED to get to sleep, there's little interest in doing anything OTHER than sleep! <frown>

OTOH, when I blew out my back (stuck in bed), I found a Tablet PC (didn't own any "tablets" back then) was the only thing I could use to get online (couldn't sit upright so had to hold the Tablet PC up in the air above my face). Sure is a great way to cut down on your screen time -- arms get tired from holding it up like that!

Dell precision no less. High res, high quality display.....and short battery life.....I know I've got about 2hrs to get it done....which is good, keeps me from staying up all night and/or spending too much money. Limited KB use, save for some search terms....and the Precision's touchpad is fine for basic browsing.
    I keep a small wireless mouse in each laptop bag when/if the laptop is in use. I used to use them while traveling (at airports) but have tried to avoid (air) travel in recent years.

I think my wife would be rather upset if I dragged my desktop into bed with us...
    Then, I'm guessing, soldering station is probably also out of the question???!

Comment

Real men run their laptops in no less than 1920x1200!
      Not in a 2012 era 14" you won't. The "standard" low-res option is 1366x768.

Sure, the big ass laptops I have at work* are 17"+ 1080P CAD workhorses (precision M6800 and a Precision 7710)... but back when I was a college student (when I bought most of my laptops ), 14" was a good size. Compact without feeling cramped (like a 13" and smaller subcompact would).

My personal laptops are any more for bed surfing and travel. The work ones have a dock on my desk with some "big" monitors (a 27" and a 24", both 1080P) so it's a lot like using a desktop, only I can also be portable for meetings and field work (PLC programming, data collection, etc.).

*-for now, before I move positions later in the year where I get a dell version of a toughbook instead. I'll be doing more field work and less desk work (about the same amount of CAD, nothing too heavy or demanding), so this makes sense. Only one dock display though
      Last edited by ratdude747; 09-22-2019, 07:18 PM.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Real men run their laptops in no less than 1920x1200!
        If it cant do this I scrap it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          Not in a 2012 era 14" you won't. The "standard" low-res option is 1366x768.
          Thats dumpster/donation/cheap sale fodder.....you cant even web browse comfortably with that, even 900px..... If I have to scroll left to right with the web browser with the taskbar vertically on the right side, its junk!
          Originally posted by brethin View Post
          If it cant do this I scrap it out!
          ditto....or sell it to someone cheap. I donate a lot of my lesser laptops to our local veterans. They're usually tickled to have them.

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
          "Bed is for sleeping" <grin> By the time I admit that I really NEED to get to sleep, there's little interest in doing anything OTHER than sleep! <frown>

LOL @ soldering station......but yea, I unwind a couple hours before lights out....bed browsing while wife reads her books....
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

14" was a good size. Compact without feeling cramped (like a 13" and smaller subcompact would).
            I keep a "netbook" (or whatever those pocket-sized laptops are called) to run *BSD scripts on-line. Usually to download distfile updates (onto an external USB drive) -- type one command and let it just run around the web looking for specific files not presently on the external disk.

Advantage is I can stuff the thing in my sock drawer when not in use (only comes out two or three times a year!). Saves me the hassle of having a "real" machine tied up with such a menial task...

Comment

I keep a "netbook" ...
              I keep one with a SSD for car diagnostics & data logging. It'll ride shotgun, and if it gets flung into the floor or something else similar, no loss if it dies....but the SSD has cured what usually failed from shock.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

I keep one with a SSD for car diagnostics & data logging. It'll ride shotgun, and if it gets flung into the floor or something else similar, no loss if it dies....but the SSD has cured what usually failed from shock.
                That's a good idea! Mine has two (small) SSDs in it -- I think 4G and 16G. I can fit an entire OS on the 4G easily. And, can configure it to never need to "write" to that SSD in normal operation. The "extra" 16G SSD is too small to store the set of files previously accumulated ("distfiles") so an external drive handles that.

(the software looks at the files present on the external drive to determine which "new" files it needs to hunt down)

I can tolerate the tiny screen and keyboard because I'm not (significantly) interacting with either of them:

Code:
                # make fetch-list > mylist
                # sh mylist > results 2>&results

Comment

Two more Dell 2407's to add to the "backup cache" -- one in obvious need of recapping. Sadly, 24 caps involved (had I known that I would have left it behind!)

And, a case of flux remover: https://www.amazon.com/TECHSPRAY-163.../dp/B00FG7R9EC. I'm not thrilled with it's performance (used on the 2407, above) but for the price, I can probably use it to repair rescues...

[I suspect my lack of enthusiasm for the product may be related to the state of the board set in the monitor; either a REALLY heavy smoker or someone spilled a can of soda inside! ]

Comment

Scored a "For parts" Latitude E6430 for $25 at a yard sale:

Good: Near clone of my personal E6430 (nicest laptop I own). Good specs:

-i5 CPU (same as mine was stock, I swapped for a quad i7)
                    -1600x900 display (high res option)
                    -180GB SSD (older intel, probably stock)
                    -Webcam and Fingerprint options installed
                    -8GB RAM (same as what mine has after upgrades)
                    -Intel 4000 graphics (or whichever one the i5 has, not the nvidia option that sucks for general use)

Oh, and it totally runs. They were selling the power cord separately (some 65W chinese knockoff, no thanks, I have a box of 90W PA-10's to throw at it) so I suspect the issue may have been the POS power cord.

Bad news:

-Keyboard is toast. Not backlit, missing one key cap, and multiple columns out. I was going to upgrade to the backlit option anyway
                    -Missing SD slot filler (who gives a crap?)
                    -Has lame broadcom wifi (but the centrino 6300 chips these run best with are a dime a dozen any more)
                    -Has a partially messed up aftermarket lid cover adhered on (Meh).

I bought one in similar condition (less RAM, and somewhat worse specs) for $100 6 months ago... so for $25 across the street, Score???

It has windows 10 (was refurbed at some point, has both a 7 COA and a 10 COA ) but I don't know what I'll run on it. I don't even know what I'll do with it (upgrade for my dad or my wife most likely). But I wasn't going to let that one go. Hell no.
                    Quick updates:

-Decided it will go to my dad, whose birthday is this coming month.
                    -Reinstalling 10 pro on it. Should serve him well; he already has and uses 8.1 on things.
                    -Not bothering with the CPU upgrade... the slick 35W quad low power i7 (3236qm) I have in my other E6430 apparently ebays for $85 a hit . Gee, the $300 I paid shovenose for the laptop it (and the 8GB of DDR3) came from actually has held value better than expected . Sure, I can get the beefier i7's for less (probably), but I'd rather not push the cooling system more than I have to.
                    -Otherwise, I'm dropping a centrino 6300 in it and a backlit keyboard... Add in a stock bag I found at Goodwill for $4.50 and I'm still under $50 invested (not counting the PA-10 brick I pulled from my stash). I still have a couple other mods as well (mainly, the internal Logitech Unifying trick).
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Scored a free ASUS P5K-V, which is just the vanilla P5K but with onboard GPU. Already flashed the vanilla P5K BIOS and turned it from G33 into P35.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

"Bed is for sleeping" <grin>
                        yupp! according to the doctors, the bed should only be used for 2 things: sleep and sex. using the bed for anything else could break the association the brain has with the bed, which is bed=sleep. this will result in insomnia or the inability to fall asleep when its sleepy time.

many sleep problems experienced by the young these days is associated with device usage on the bed. blue light from lcd screens also contributes to this. doctors say no tech gadget/device usage for one hour before bed. i think thats a great prescription for a good nights sleep! so no free wifi or tv on the bed before sleepy time! lol!
                        LOL @ soldering station...
                        i dont see how a soldering station would add to the relationship between topcat and his wife unless topcat and his wife were both cyborgs. for cyborgs, solder can help to stick things together and allow certain parts to hold and mate together during certain critical operations associated with cyborg sexual activities. the heat from the soldering station can also spice up and heat up the cyborg relationship.

so in short, no soldering station on the bed unless topcat wants to sleep on the couch! lol!
                        Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                        Scored a free ASUS P5K-V, which is just the vanilla P5K but with onboard GPU. Already flashed the vanilla P5K BIOS and turned it from G33 into P35.
                        wow! i didnt know u could cross flash a board in this way and still have it work! i ass-u-med that would have bricked the board but i guess im wrong... u learn something new every day!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                          wow! i didnt know u could cross flash a board in this way and still have it work! i ass-u-med that would have bricked the board but i guess im wrong... u learn something new every day!
                          Both the P5K-V and the vanilla P5K are virtually the same board. The only difference is that one uses G33 (which is just P35 with onboard GMA 3100, evidenced by the onboard VGA port on the P5K-V) and the other uses the usual P35.

The P5K-V also had a pretty locked down BIOS as opposed to the vanilla P5K (though mine could've been from an OEM manufacturer) which would not allow any PCI-E GPUs to work in any PCI-E slot (there being 2 of them). Flashing the vanilla P5K BIOS disabled the onboard GMA 3100 GPU which allows me to use a external GPU now.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

yupp! according to the doctors, the bed should only be used for 2 things: sleep and sex.
                            Hmmm... I thought that large, flat surface with the chairs arranged around it in the kitchen was for sex?! (sigh) Maybe we're doing it "wrong"...

using the bed for anything else could break the association the brain has with the bed, which is bed=sleep. this will result in insomnia or the inability to fall asleep when its sleepy time.

many sleep problems experienced by the young these days is associated with device usage on the bed. blue light from lcd screens also contributes to this. doctors say no tech gadget/device usage for one hour before bed.
                            Actually, it's worse as you get older. I think ~50% of the geriatric crowd complain of problems with sleep. I suspect part of this has to do with the weakening of exogenous synchronizers on lifestyles.

When I started working for myself, decades ago, the first thing that changed was my sleep pattern -- "9-5" no longer had any influence on my sleep/wake schedule! (esp after forbidding incoming phone calls!)

i dont see how a soldering station would add to the relationship between topcat and his wife unless topcat and his wife...
                            No moreso than "laying in bed browsing, reading, looking for cool stuff"! :>

We use bedtime as a time to "reconnect" at the end of the day -- sort through our individual experiences, plans for the next day, etc. -- as most of our waking hours are spent on independent activities.

Comment

Hmmm... I thought that large, flat surface with the chairs arranged around it in the kitchen was for sex?! (sigh) Maybe we're doing it "wrong"...
                              i think rather, u understood me "wrong" instead. i said the bed should only be used for sleep and sex. i never said sex should only be done on the bed which is a different matter altogether. of course, u can have sex practically anywhere u'd like. i imagine the teenagers and extramarital/secret affair people are rather creative when it comes to that. in the bushes, in the grass, in the bathroom etc. lol!
                              Actually, it's worse as you get older. I think ~50% of the geriatric crowd complain of problems with sleep. I suspect part of this has to do with the weakening of exogenous synchronizers on lifestyles.
                              yes, as u get older, the brain produces less and less melatonin which regulates your sleep-wake cycle so it gets harder to fall asleep and u sleep less with age. thats why sleep aids like melatonins pills are needed for old folks to help them with sleep.

Comment

yes, as u get older, the brain produces less and less melatonin which regulates your sleep-wake cycle so it gets harder to fall asleep and u sleep less with age. thats why sleep aids like melatonins pills are needed for old folks to help them with sleep.
                                I think a bigger issue is the loss (abandonment?) of the external structure imposed on your lifestyle. No need to wake for work, or to attend to the kids going off to school, etc. There is less pressure to FIT into a normal sleep-wake cycle so internal rhythms start to compete more aggressively to control your activities.

E.g., I am naturally an "owl". So, have always favored shifting my sleep-wake cycle to allow for later rising. (4A is a good compromise bedtime for me). OTOH, there are those activities that I can't time-shift so I have to fit them into my corrupted sleep-wake cycle. And, then compensate as best I can.

So, in order to put in my pro bono day, yesterday, I had to be up and out of the house by 7:30. Despite retiring at 4A. Body doesn't like living on < 3.5 hours of sleep so that means I ave to payback the deficit, at some point (in my case, that was a two hour nap, yesterday afternoon). This further complicates the body's rhythm leading to being up even later...

<shrug>

Comment

Scored a free Samsung SP2004C 200GB. Had to replace the SATA connectors as the original ones onboard were smashed. Now worls fine, tested using a USB enclosure interface that originally belonged to a Seagate Expansion drive.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Yet another 2407 (bad power actuator so that's a 5 second patch).

Plus another Precision M6500 (I'll have to start thinning out the laptop herd).

And, a pair of PM8003's -- not sure if my ESXi server will recognize them, though... that'll probably be a half day exercise

Comment

YPlus another Precision M6500 (I'll have to start thinning out the laptop herd).
                                      If you've got that much of an abundance of M6500's, you know where to send a few...

I still use my M6400, its in mint condition and maxed out spec-wise....but there's always room for more.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

If you've got that much of an abundance of M6500's, you know where to send a few...
                                        I'm planning on using them to replace the HP 8730's. Then, using the 8730's to replace some of the headless appliances that I have stashed around the house. Assuming I can justify the power (with display blanked), that gives me a "head"/keyboard right at the appliance (instead of having to TELNET into it remotely).

I still use my M6400, its in mint condition and maxed out spec-wise....but there's always room for more.
                                        I have the existing laptops (8730's) set up as test platforms for different OS's so I can play with some particular executable without introducing it to any of my "real" machines. I've cooked the restore images so that the OS (plus whatever "core utilities" I've installed) can easily be restored once I'm done playing with whatever executable interested me. Easier than using CloneZilla and an external restore image.

I am slowly moving this functionality onto my ESXi server as that would let me save space (no need to store laptops/bags). But, everything takes time (sad that there are only 24 hours in each day...)

Comment

me three! i could use some of those m6400 core 2 laptops as well. esp. those with nvidia g92 mobile gpus in them. i think they're called quadro fx2700m or fx 3700m. i luv those as they actually make great mobile gaming desktop replacement systems!

problem would be the shipping being a killer. i bought a dell latitude e6500 before and the domestic shipping to the shipping company's US address was US$55. the international shipping from US to singapore was US$127!!

ah well, if i ever visit the US, i'd be sure to stop by topcat's place in missouri to "collect some souvenirs" to bring home and curious george's place as well... hehehe!

Comment

Working...
                                          X