Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: XPS 15 9570 will not charge but battery works

@bin,
    You mentioned Arrow has free shipping but I'm seeing $43.99 as the cheapest option on the parts. Am I missing an option or something?
    You can send me a PM. We have a corporate account with free (Fedex / UPS) shipping anywhere in the world. We know that it works for USA / Canada and have used it to drop ship to customers. If it works for your address, we can do the same. For this account, we can purchase any dollar amount of parts with no shipping fee. Guessing that Arrow must have a fixed price they pay to their courier companies for this great incentive.
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 12-31-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

(Edited from original) My bad, didn't see your reply. Thanks!
      Last edited by bin_; 12-31-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Parts arrived to-day, thanks very much for sending! I swapped the diode and now, with the DC jack connected, I measure the following:

PD1900 anode: 19.17V

PD1902 anode: 0.36V

PD1900 cathode and PD1002 cathode both: 18.74V

However, the charging light still does not turn on, machine does not power. Any thoughts on what I should check?

Comment

See attached.

Post a picture of where the diode(s) have been replaced on your logic board.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's a photo. White stripe is on the top for both.
            Attached Files

Comment

That resistor looks like its too big for the pads.Desolder it and turn it over,place it over the top and see if it will make contact with both pads when its soldered
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Ok. Diodes are in properly. They are working as they should and passing through the voltage from the anode (input) to the cathode. Some other factor at play here.

With the new diodes in place, what voltage do you see @ PL1900 ? Check both sides of this coil (inductor).

Meter on the same DC scale as you are using now.
                Attached Files

Comment

SMDFlea, do you mean 1R0? That part was on there as pictured when I received this machine, so it seemed to work before. The two parts I replaced were PD1900 and PD1902.

Comment

mon2, 19.17V both sides of PL1900.

Comment

See attached.

Meter in resistance mode (2K or higher is ok).

1) start with checking the resistance of the BATTERY mosfet @ PQ1905:

resistance between SOURCE (1-2-3) & DRAIN (5-6-7-8) ?
                      * red meter probe on one side; black meter probe on the other side
                      * most of these mosfets are grouped together in the pins
                      * NO power to the board during these tests

resistance between SOURCE (1-2-3) & GATE (4) ?

resistance between GATE (4) & DRAIN (5-6-7-8) ?

If there is a very low resistance reading then the mosfet could be damaged and needs to be replaced.

It will be a good idea to perform these tests on the other mosfets highlighted in the attached schematic.

2) If no low resistance readings are found amongst the mosfets, then need to check the voltages on each mosfet.

The GATE voltages are the voltages presented by the charger IC to turn the mosfet (effectively a solid-state relay) ON or OFF.

Carefully measure each point with the power ON to the logic board.

Meter in 30V+ scale (as the gate voltage should be ~6v higher than the source / drain voltage.

Red meter probe on the pin of interest; black meter probe on ground.

Post your results. Be careful on measuring the pin # 4 of each mosfet. If in doubt, post a zoomed up pic of the component.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, been a very busy few months! But I am back to looking at this. You can see in the first photo PQ1905. The diagram you attached shows five pins, but I see only four; do I have the right component?

Similarly, in the second photo, you can see PQ1904. While the diagram describes five pins, I see eight. Which are the correct ones to test?

Finally, I noticed that there is a label for PD1904 but the pads appear empty; you can see this in the third photo. Is this correct, or might a component have been knocked off the board?

(These are probably noob questions; I am new to this, but hoping to learn more.)

Thank you again for all the help, and sorry again about the (very) long delay!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi, been a while.

Yes, you have the correct part. If you flip the mosfet upside down so that you can see the belly of the component, you will see that:

pins 1-2-3 (SOURCE) are shorted together so they can work in parallel for their heavier current transfer.

pin 4 (GATE) = trigger for the mosfet to turn ON / OFF.

pins 5-6-7-8 (DRAIN) will be shorted together so they too can work in parallel for the same reason.

In the schematic, the engineer is just showing a single lead so they know in advance that the part will be shorting the rest of the legs as per above.

Just be 100% sure that you solder back onto the PCB with the same orientation. You can always check with a meter (with NO power), which side is which - check that pins 5-6-7-8 = 0 ohms on the meter if using across the pins. Then flux and solder the part in the same mapping.

Same comment applies to your PQ1904 question.

PD1904 probably was present on the logic board and is a surge diode to supress any voltage spikes > 22 volts. It should be applied onto the board but for now, ok to proceed with hopes you do not have a sudden spike.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...F4L22A/6049687

Comment

Thank you, that is helpful. Should I be able to desolder this part with a plain soldering iron or would I need additional tools?

Comment

No, I am afraid not. There is just too much ground plane (copper) on the PCB and surface area for a traditional solder iron.

This surgery will require tweezers (so you do not burn your pinkys) + Amtech (or clone like we use) flux + hot air station. We have a clone of the Quick 852 and it is the one with the BEST name (goes upto 550C) and paid I believe about $175 USD from Aliexpress.

You can check Mobile Sentrix on what they carry. Amazon may also sell them as well. Have heard that Mobile Sentrix only works with dealers / business accounts so not sure if that is an option for you.

You may want to pick up some dead PCBs off Ebay to test and learn about the desoldering of random parts. It will be a good exercise before working with this patient.

Comment

Originally posted by bin_ View Post
                                Thank you, that is helpful. Should I be able to desolder this part with a plain soldering iron or would I need additional tools?
                                Hello, did you solve your problem? I have exactly the same problem with my XPS 15 9570, there was a fake charger that was too powerful, then nothing since, works with battery, but does not work with charger or usb-c, also does not charge, can you help me? Thanks

with charger :
                                diode pd203 20v
                                pu204 3v
                                +vbus_1 0v
                                Last edited by madjid911; 12-07-2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Is the power adapter a known good adapter and suitable to power this unit ?

Start with checking the ACOK pin #24 on the charger IC PU1900.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                                    Is the power adapter a known good adapter and suitable to power this unit ?

Start with checking the ACOK pin #24 on the charger IC PU1900.
                                    by mistake It was a bad 35V charger that must have blown a component, now I have the original 19.5V charger

PU1900 PIN 24 ACOK_ISL88738 : 0V022
                                    PD1900 AND PD1902 : 1V6 0V
                                    PD1900 61,8 ohms and OL In the other direction
                                    PD1902 61,8 ohms and OL In the other direction

thank you for your help

Comment

Originally posted by madjid911 View Post
                                      by mistake It was a bad 35V charger that must have blown a component, now I have the original 19.5V charger

PU1900 PIN 24 ACOK_ISL88738 : 0V022

PD1900 AND PD1902 : 1V6 => 0V
                                      PD1900 61,8 ohms and OL In the other direction
                                      PD1902 61,8 ohms and OL In the other direction

thank you for your help
                                      PD203 and PD204 are good, PU204 3V
                                      Attached Files

Comment

What is the voltage to ground of +SDC_IN ?

See attached. The DC adapter starts @ +DC_IN -> then travels through the reverse protection mosfets -> ends up @ +SDC_IN.

If +SDC_IN is not the same or close to the external adapter voltage, then the 2 x DCin mosfets are not enabled - check their GATE (pin #4) voltage to ground of each.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                                          What is the voltage to ground of +SDC_IN ?

See attached. The DC adapter starts @ +DC_IN -> then travels through the reverse protection mosfets -> ends up @ +SDC_IN.

If +SDC_IN is not the same or close to the external adapter voltage, then the 2 x DCin mosfets are not enabled - check their GATE (pin #4) voltage to ground of each.
                                          +DC_IN 19V5
                                          +DC_IN_SS 0V
                                          +SDC_IN 0V

GATE (pin #4) PQ200 17V65
                                          GATE (pin #4) PQ201 1V5=> 0V
                                          PC204 3V29
                                          I had already replaced all the mosfets in this area, but without result
                                          Last edited by madjid911; 12-08-2022, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X