car cigarette lighter to car cigarette lighter jumper cable with a twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car cigarette lighter to car cigarette lighter jumper cable with a twist

I had bought this device many years ago and never really used it much because I never had batteries that were good enough to use this device on because it draw up to 10 amps and would drain a battery very quickly so I have made a battery pack for this device now ( and for inverter that I also have ) but I still have to buy a 10 amp circuit breaker for it for it be completely safe to use it

The reason why this device end up in a Radio Shack power supply case was the transistor small heat sink would get very hot to touch after a very short time and I had these power supply that I bought when they were being closed out and had a newer version of it which I did not think much of so I bought as many as I could back then I still use one of and to power small devices every so often

This device did get recapped because it had been in storage for a very long time and because it had non brand name capacitors on it

The output is 16.75 volts with no load on it and with a one amp it still maintains a 16.75 voltage ( incandescent light bulb load interesting results ) I put this device on a 12 volt li-ion battery pack that was discharged 9.75 volts but could not keep it working because I only have a 2.5 amp circuit breaker on it right now it was showing over 6 amp going to the battery pack

After I do some testing I might end up putting a 12 volt temperature controlled cooling fan over the heat sink to cool it

I will post some pictures of this when the project is completely done and I have done some testing on it when I can post the results
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-02-2022, 08:22 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: car cigarette lighter to car cigarette lighter jumper cable with a twist

Well it turn out that the ones that I bought that were close outs the transformers are bad so they are going to be repurposed for some other projects that I have in mind that I do not have the time for right now
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Comment

But I still have one that was brand new in a box that works good and the one that I use to charge nicad battery packs the current range was 400 milliamperes to 1.2 amp max at 24 volts

I have three of them that the transformers are shorted out on the secondary winding I checked it with a ring tester ( but they were not new in a box these were bought at Radio Shack surplus outlet center back in the day )

But I going to use one of them on a switching power supply to get a stable 13.8 volt output at least that is the plan anyway

I have two ten amp version of same 13.8 volts one of I already took out the transformer and controller board
        The other one is still complete the way it was brand new and I also have one extra controller board for this power supply

The one that I have taken out the transformer and controller board is going to possibly have a battery pack and small charger for the batteries I am tossing this idea around
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-02-2022, 06:57 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
          What are you confused about
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

i cant see any transformers, just a couple of inductors.
            it's a boost convertor right?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              i cant see any transformers, just a couple of inductors.
              it's a boost convertor right?
              Yes I was referring to the fact that I have several Radio Shack power supply enclosure that have issues and might make another boost converter for the same type of project
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well this project is done for the boost converter for jumping a car battery
                I replace the 2.5 circuit breaker for a 7 amp circuit breaker and now it does not trip out

I ran it for about 5 minutes and the heat sink got warm and transistor got real hot but not hot enough that I could not keep my finger on

To test this device I use a 18650 12 volt battery pack that was discharged to 9.35 volts and it got a little bit over 10 volts while charging it a 6.78 amps yeah I know that this is a little bit high but it has 9 battery cells in parallel so I was not to concerned about it because it has so many batteries in parallel and I was only doing for a short time

Now I have have to build the 18650 battery pack for this project to be completely done
                Attached Files
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-06-2022, 10:20 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I need to make myself a battery powered battery charger...

Comment

One note on the testing that I did above I use my car cigarette lighter socket for the power supply power

I cam going to use 30 amp boost converter at least that what it claims to do I am going to order two of them and see if can get the same exact results

I will post the results after I get them and do some testing
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-06-2022, 02:06 PM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

But this one will be hooked up directly to the battery not the cigarette lighter and only because if it truly can put out 30 amp continuously this might be a problem trying to use the cigarette lighter outlet
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well the boost converter came today and it set to 54 volt output with a 12 volts input ( by default )
                        But it going to get recapped before I put it in service because it non brand capacitors on it

Ones I have bought the capacitors for it I will post some pictures of this boost converter recapped and how I hook it up

I do not have 100 volt at 470uf capacitors on hand
                        I do not have 63 volt at 470uf capacitors on hand
                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-10-2022, 03:47 PM.
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                          Well the boost converter came today and it set to 54 volt output with a 12 volts input ( by default )
                          But it going to get recapped before I put it in service because it non brand capacitors on it

Ones I have bought the capacitors for it I will post some pictures of this boost converter recapped and how I hook it up

I do not have 100 volt at 470uf capacitors on hand
                          I do not have 63 volt at 470uf capacitors on hand
                          To pay $2.50 per capacitor is a little bit high for me really

Dig key parts order for these capacitors for this boost converter

565-4879-ND‎
                          ‎EKYA630ELL471MK25S‎
                          CAP ALUM 470UF 20% 63V RADIAL

Immediate
                          10 @ 1.25200 = $12.52

‎565-4147-ND‎
                          ‎EKZN101ELL471MLN3S‎
                          CAP ALUM 470UF 20% 100V RADIAL

Immediate
                          10 @ 2.61200 = $26.12. ( over $2.50 per capacitor plus the tariff really )
                          Tariff: $1.25

Payment Method
                          Subtotal: $38.64
                          Shipping: $6.99 ( FedEx Ground ) I am not in a hurry for them or I would have used USPS priority mail for faster shipping

Sales Tax: $2.99
                          Total: $49.87

One note I have not used either series before ( I have used the KY before but not the KYA before ) ( I have used the KZE but not the KZN before ) these seem to be new I hope these will work because there was no real other options in this brand name that I could really use for this device ( there were only 5 options two of them were surface mount type capacitors )

One other note USPS priority mail shipping cost have gone up to over $11.00 really it used to be a little over $6.00
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-12-2022, 03:25 AM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well here is an update for this boost converter that I am taking about above I powered on today and had the voltage up to 99 volts with no load the output capacitors are only rated 100 volts of course I not going to run it at that voltage I am only using it up to 18.25 volts to jump a very low car battery to over 12 volts for a car to start after the boost converter on it for 10 minutes if it is not severely low on charge

Now it time to mount it in a Radio Shack power supply enclosure yes I am repurposing a device that has failed for another purpose but this is for another day
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I have not had the time to do this project but have not forgot about it
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                              X