Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG OLED 55EC930V Horizontal flashing lines problems

So I tried to remove ribbon cables in this order:
    1 - the both on the left (turns on , white line on the left, growing-descending from the top of the screen for about 2 seconds, but also below the level normally the panel is not illuminated properly (!?!) The rest of the panel is faintly lit everywhere, then TV turns off by itself)
    2 - only the first ribbon, same as above, but the growing white line take all the screen width, 2 sec, then turns off.
    3 - only the second ribbon same as 2
    4 - only the third ribbon same as 2-3

After that it can't be able to turn on the set anymore, so I pressed the reset button on the Main board, the TV works as before, the air mouse pointer moves. So no improvement for now

VIDEO
    https://youtu.be/_XyHyBkK8vY

At this point I just ordered a new TCON board on ebay, but I'm almost convinced it's a Main Board problem.
    I just remember I disconnected a Raspberry Pi 3 before the problem appeared, without turning off the set... can be the disconnection of the RPi caused some components burning on the Main Board?

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by maxino; 04-26-2020, 05:39 AM.

Comment

sorry I wasn't looking at the picture right... :-(

Anyway, you might try doing a few voltage checks at tcon and at the edge board at the bottom of the set... if there is some labelling on the boards to provide some guidance to those points. From some past oled posts, it is unlikely that you will get any picture if you disconnect the tcon to panel cables as there is some circuitry / system that shuts the set down when in this condition (equivalent to bad panel). You might search for some posts from freakaftr8 where he had an oled with panel damage and another with potential board issues...he was able to work thru getting one set working.

Your picture appears to indicate a lack of signal getting thru to the panel (ie. open circuit) or no voltage.

PS... I just missed your previous post but it looks like you are heading towards a replacement tcon... hope it works out.
      Last edited by budwich; 04-26-2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maxino View Post
        At this point I just ordered a new TCON board on ebay, but I'm almost convinced it's a Main Board problem.
        I just remember I disconnected a Raspberry Pi 3 before the problem appeared, without turning off the set... can be the disconnection of the RPi caused some components burning on the Main Board?.
        at your case your OLED panel didn't have short at all.. as you don't face shut down by Panel SOS signal.

i suggest you read this post and do the test carefully then post yours screen photo.

edit: one things more if you suspect the adrino Raspberry its could be reason too.. sending "INSTOP" command to the TV could solve any problem related to input and resolution too.
        Last edited by Diah; 04-26-2020, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
          at your case your OLED panel didn't have short at all.. as you don't face shut down by Panel SOS signal.

i suggest you read this post and do the test carefully then post yours screen photo.

edit: one things more if you suspect the adrino Raspberry its could be reason too.. sending "INSTOP" command to the TV could solve any problem related to input and resolution too.
          Thank you Diah to set in!
          So I downloaded the SMPS testing procedure since was mentioned in the original post, but I have a lot to study at this point, believe me I'm little scared but I'll do my best to figure out what to do. I'll post an update ASAP.

PS: about the Raspberry... I tried to send IN_STOP but it doesn't work at all (or maybe there is a dialog box I can't see). Have I to send it when the set is ON or in Stand-by? (The file POWER_ONLY.wav works) Does the reset button on Main Board button do the same? Because I did the reset to let the TV turns on after the ribbon cable disconnection attempt.
          Last edited by maxino; 04-26-2020, 08:34 AM.

Comment

PS: about the Raspberry... I tried to send IN_STOP but it doesn't work at all. Have I to send it when the set is ON on in Stand-by? (The POWER_ONLY works) Does the reset button on Main Board button do the same?
            regarding IN_STOP.. because you couldn't see what are showing on the screen.. after you turn the TV ON and stay on as you have
            ust picture at the bottom on the screen.. sent the command then follow it to press on the RC 0413 the set should go to stand by.. if it did... mean it got it and rest the eeprom of the set..

Comment

Good news and unfortunately bad news, today I replaced the TCON board with a refurbished one, the picture now is almost everywhere lit at high "OLED light" settings (Standard value is 60), but at normal viewing light (set 10-30) the screen shows a very strange behaviour! In the upper left corner, I see something strange, an "a" that in my opinion is a part of a TV emblem. The rest of the image especially at the bottom is faded out a lot.

Just to clarify, this TV was never used with TV sources, only for BD movies and streaming service like Netflix, so TV emblems are really unlikely to be there...

Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems the used TCON is retaining the picture of the old TV from where it was taken. Is that possible?!?

Please kindly see the pictures below, I already did a factory reset and then a IN_STOP to reset the TV, but with no change.

Thank you!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by maxino; 05-04-2020, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I have yet to come across an OLED but won't that clear itself up after a few power cycles ? I remember freakafter8 had something similar happen to an OLED he was working on and the problem vanished without him doing anything iirc.

Comment

Unfortunately, the TCON did not refresh by itself, but as per LG website, the screen do a pixel compensation every 4 hours of use (when then you put the set in Stand by). BTW, I have another issue here, it seems the firmware have something wrong, I never saw a volume indicator like this one, also the loading screens are very strange (see pictures) is there any way to force a firmware update? The set is connected to the internet but it does not show any available update (current FW 5.05.70), so part of the firmware is stored inside the TCON!?!?
                  Attached Files

Comment

05.05.70 are the last version of this set firmware.
                    T-CON ram saved part of panel driver and refresh rate, this will be reset at IN-STOP and you did it already.
                    as mmartel wrote. this behavior could be corrected by time or via build in pixel scan at setting.

it help too to use build in player to play movies.. or test jpg pictures with one color, also play YouTube on the set.

Comment

05.05.70 are the last version of this set firmware.
                      T-CON ram saved part of panel driver and refresh rate, this will be reset at IN-STOP and you did it already.
                      as mmartel wrote. this behavior could be corrected by time or via build in pixel scan at setting.

it help too to use build in player to play movies.. or test jpg pictures with one color, also play YouTube on the set.
                      How can I access the Built-in pixel scan? I can't find it in the menu, is it maybe in the IN_START menu?
                      Thank you

Comment

schedule at next start... you have such at setting menu.
                        about firmware refesh or downgrade.. there are working around LG downgrade server.. google it we was using it with LG LED 3d set like LA series. the idea of it to run it on pc and connect the LG via LAN to the pc and give gateway and ip to the set network setting to think it connected to LG server to allow downgrade or download firmware from the PC server..

if this all didnt help.. try your original T-CON again.. if same old problem... then you can reheat the main processor on it... it could have BGA.. you will not lost as you have now replacement one.

Comment

Ok thank you very much, is it possible that doing a BGA reballing of the ARRIA FPGA, see picture on the firs post, on my old TCON, will probably fix the issue? Or could be a different smd component that causes the issue? (already tried reflowing the board at 160°C with a preheating station, then 2 minutes of 250°C hot air station on the FPGA only, same issue, so a reballing will be the next step, but I dont have the tools, yet

Comment

BGA if you did to the ARRIA FPGA then dont do any more right now.. focus on the RAMs BGA..
                            now you are not at serious problem. replacement T-CON we don't know anythings about its condition.. as i wrote before you can try playing movies .. picture from usb... youtube... and also you have one color pattern at service menu E-Z adjust. forcing the set to play different pixel rate.. could solve it..in case t-con okay.

Comment

BGA if you did to the ARRIA FPGA then dont do any more right now.. focus on the RAMs BGA..
                              now you are not at serious problem. replacement T-CON we don't know anythings about its condition.. as i wrote before you can try playing movies .. picture from usb... youtube... and also you have one color pattern at service menu E-Z adjust. forcing the set to play different pixel rate.. could solve it..in case t-con okay.
                              Sorry, before doing anything stupid, just to be sure, you mean:
                              1. Reballing the FPGA (BGA) ARRIA chip (the one with a metal cap)
                              2. Reballing the RAM (the 4 chips around the FPGA)

1 or 2? Thanks

PS: playing movies, using HDMI ports, all is working 100%, now I'm running some movies waiting for pixel resynch, tryed the EZ-ADJUST pattern but it doesn't remove the image retention stored in the TCON.

Comment

Tried to downgrade the FW with LGDTVUPDATER but it doesn't work, please look at the attached pictures.

Original Content From: https://www.lgwebos.com/topic/1997-h...ware-tutorial/

Now I'll try with the tool NSU Emu by SMX

https://github.com/openlgtv/nsu_emu

NETFLIX doesn't work, it seems the HDCP chain is not working properly
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by maxino; 05-05-2020, 03:07 AM.

Comment

post photos on first page of service menu IN_START and E-Z Adjust
                                  about NETFLIX ... dont forget you need to bring the network setting after downgrade to normal setting :-)
                                  Last edited by Diah; 05-05-2020, 04:24 AM.

Comment

post photos on first page of service menu IN_START and E-Z Adjust
                                    about NETFLIX ... dont forget you need to bring the network setting after downgrade to normal setting :-)
                                    So thank you for your patience, after 4 hours of random viewing, the TV did the pixel compensation as you described, the picture is finally better than before, some persistent vertical lines are there, almost same behavior as Billsy here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=53

BTW, emblems almost vanished, no solarization and no color banding so I'm already happier than before

Pictures Below (please note the moiré effect does not come from the TV)

So have I to wait for a second compensation, so it will eventually make the image even better?

Please also find IN_START and EZ_ADJUST pictures below.

The Firmware problem still remains, but at least the TV is "usable", I'll try to reflash the same firmware next days.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

yep it look good.. as its just did compensation 1, when the count come high it will clear it more.. the effect as billsy caused by removing the ribbon cable. it will disappear later..

i would say dont touched it any more or doing any to the firmware.. always if you want to refresh the firmware and clear TEMP of using.. IN_STOP always the only answer.

Comment

Sorry, before doing anything stupid, just to be sure, you mean:
                                        1. Reballing the FPGA (BGA) ARRIA chip (the one with a metal cap)
                                        2. Reballing the RAM (the 4 chips around the FPGA)

1 or 2? Thanks

PS: playing movies, using HDMI ports, all is working 100%, now I'm running some movies waiting for pixel resynch, tryed the EZ-ADJUST pattern but it doesn't remove the image retention stored in the TCON.
                                        In your great experience, if I want to try repair the old TCON, what I have to do now?

Comment

Just a small update, I solved the NETFLIX won't to play anything because an "the content cannot be played right now" error. What I suppose to be an HDCP chain inconsistency, and I was right.

What I found, the TCON replacement (called MICOM in the IN_START menu) has an old firmware version, precisely the V3.00.1. This firmware is supposed to show and give a basic interactive interface in the meantime the real firmware boots into main board.

I notice after replacing the TCOM, the boot menus was "old style" (see some post above), and I recall I show this when I bought the TV first time in 2014. For eg. when you press the "smart/home" button on the remote, the message "the smart menu will be available shortly", well this message comes from the TCON not from the Main board.

In order to force the TCON firmware upgrade, you have to do an "Online" downgrade to FW V3.23.6 with a fake DNS called LGDTVupdater from our great Russian friends (running on windows)

The good thing is that the FW code itself comes from LG directly, you don't need the FW code, just a "hook" file.

After that, doing an IN_STOP will reset all the settings to factory defaults, at this point is enough to configure the WIFI / LAN, and let the TV do the updates by itself.

Magically the MICOM firmware will also be updated to the V3.00.7 and the HDCP chain restored. So enjoy NETFLIX again!

This is not an easy way to solve the issue. If someone will be really interested eventually, I could write a more in deep details guide. Let me know.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by maxino; 05-06-2020, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X