Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Gigabyte GA-RP55W5 Rev 1.1 motherboard troubleshooting

Hi Guys and Girls
    My first post. I have a Gigabyte gaming laptop. Its a P55Wv5. Over the past few years its developed a problem with what i believe is a power issue. The motherboard model is GA-RP55W5 Rev 1.1

When using the laptop on mains power, every few seconds it cuts off from mains and runs on battery then switches back to mains.

Ive tested the AC adapter and im getting 19.9v which is constant. Ive tested the 8 pin cable which connects from the DC jack board to the motherboard. Both the AC adapter and the cable seem to be fine.

The next easiest part to check is the DC jack board. From what i can see, the are three components on it. The DC jack at one end, the 8 pin connector at the other end and a shiny thingamajig in the middle. I assume it shouldn't be too hard to diagnose.

I have no experience in diagnosing motherboard components so im looking for guidance. How do i test these components? If the DC board passes then the next step is to start diagnosing the motherboard.

Ive tried to attach some images by clicking Manage Attachments but its not working, maybe because im posting this from my ipad. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 11-15-2021, 09:54 PM. Reason: Gigabyte GA-RP55W5 Rev 1.1

Re: Help with motherboard troubleshooting

Hi. Well, the first thing you should do is make sure both the charger and battery are ok bu themselves.
    Run the laptop with the battery disconnected, if it works fine from the charger alone you know for sure it's not the charger. Then connect the battery and run from battery.

If both are fine you can look to internals but the above should be your first move if you haven't done that yet. I say this because a charger giving voltage doesn't mean it's good. It likely is but a power supply can easily give voltage and then fail at a certain amp/current threshold.

If both test fine, there are still software options to look at first. Windows 10 has battery and charging diagnostics you should run and some laptops even have battery drivers now (insane, I know). Make sure all that is fine first, too.

Only then look at hardware. That said, if it is hardware it sure sounds like a bad charge port (unstable connection in it) or a failing part that can range from mosfet to coil. Again, do the above first and even if you get to looking at hardware you'll need to figure out how to post photos here. People can't help what we can't see.

Comment

Thanks WayofTheRoad for your response. Ive tried all those suggestions recently. If I disconnect the battery then when the AC cuts out the laptop dies because theres no battery connected. The laptop will work with only the battery connected. I have also tried uninstalling the battery driver and also running Troubleshooting on power, it didnt find anything.

Another thing which i tried the other day was to run the laptop using a Linux Live USB. the plan was to run a program called Stress to push the CPU and to try to get the AC to cutout. For some reason, I wasn’t able to install Stress. Maybe tomorrow if i have time ill run Linux on it again and play a movie on it to see if it does it. If it doesnt do then it has to be Windows 10 if it does do it using Linux then it’s definitely hardware. It may have been easier to just check some likely components on the motherboard or on the DC jack board.

Ill let you know what happens.

Comment

Ill try the images now, it think this may work.
        Attached Files

Comment

Re: Help with Gigabyte GA-RP55W5 Rev 1.1 motherboard troubleshooting

Hello again and I'm glad to help however I can. It's late here so I may not reply again tonight but you mentioned that the laptop will not stay on when the battery is disconnected because the power from the charger alone cuts (as noted in the initial post). This rules out the battery or it's internal charge circuit as the problem. That's a key step as it can cause your issue...but it doesn't rule out the charger itself. It's likely fine but it would be ideal to have another to test with. Without another charger, you have to rule it out next.

I assume you have a multimeter based on your initial post (tested the charger for 19v). The next step should be to see if you can power the laptop with the charger plugged in as you measure the voltage coming into the laptop dial DC jack/jack board.

It should show 19v but if you see it fall as the laptop turns off (or switches to battery if it has to be installed to give time to test) charger. If it stays solid as it turns off/switches to battery the issue is deeper in the board. You'll then test a point around/"after" the red wires that connect the jack board to the motherboard. Again, 19v and look for a drop on voltage when the laptop shuts off.

To test with the multimeter:

Stay in DC voltage mode for now, always have your black probe attached to ground and never touch two points of metal with the red probe at a time. One point/place at a time. If you do this you can't mess anything up.

So, black always on ground (the big copper circles or the casing to a port of any kind) and then you'll put the red probe on each of those pins until you see 19v. That is your voltage in. Keep it there with the laptop turned on and see what the multimeter shows when the laptop turns off. If it stays a steady 19v, it's a bigger problem. If it drops to anything below, it's the charger/jack.
          Your placement of the red probe can also be on any single point near the red wiring that plugs the jack into the motherboard where you see 19v (like the big white part, a fuse). Up to you.

Good luck and I'll reply back soon. I see your photos now so share anything you think may help.
          Last edited by WayOfTheRoad; 11-15-2021, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Well, this is what has happened. This morning i set out to try Ubuntu Live USB on it but first i tried the laptop in Windows to make sure it was still playing up. Well, it didnt do it so I started up a game which will always make it switch between AC and battery, except for this time. I used the laptop for about half an hour and it just did not do it. I tried again in the afternoon and again it ran flawlessly.

This problem seems to be common, read this

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...ptop_is_burnt/

A few years ago when this issue started, the workaround was to unplug the 8 pin cable then reconnect it and the laptop would work fine for a few weeks. After a few months of doing that, the workaround didnt work anymore. A few days ago i removed the cable to test with the multimeter so maybe thats why its now working. I really believe that the fault has something to do with either the cable or the connectors which it connects to. I think it would great to be able to troubleshoot those components. But how? I think you may be able to see in the pic that one of the pins on the is burnt. Thats the reason why I disconnected it the first time.

When i tested each pin of the 8 pin cable i tested it for continuity, is that the right way to test it?

Comment

This is adapter problem if the laptop always charges offline but switches frequently between mains & battery in windows. Normally replacing the bigger cap inside adapter resolves it. Had faced this on many occasions.

Comment

Thanks mcplslg123 for your input, what do you mean by a bigger cap? I'm willing to look at this solution,
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Knackers View Post
                  Thanks mcplslg123 for your input, what do you mean by a bigger cap? I'm willing to look at this solution,
                  Thanks
                  He's saying that inside the actual adapter/charger there is potentially a bad capacitor (probably electrolytic). If you are careful, take it apart and look inside you may see one that is bulging at the top. They usually bulge when going bad. It will usually allow a power adapter to give the right voltage but inconsistent power, as I alluded to up top.

I used to fix about 5 Xbox One power bricks a day that had this problem. It's a common fault of power adapters that push decent current and why I was suggesting you start by testing the battery and it.

Now, I don't suggest anyone blindly go digging in to a power supply of any kind. Yet, if you do just don't touch the legs of...anything...before discharging them. Especially capacitors. They can still pack a whollup even if turned off/unplugged for a while.

If you do it, be safe and look for the capacitors. It'll be obvious and search for what they look like if you need to. Large tubes if electrolytic, squares /brick-like if polymer.
                  He's then suggesting that you remove the bad cap and install a good one.

YouTube has loads of tutorials and examples of how to do it if you need visual help. It may not be your exact power adapter but changing a cap is the same for everything.

Comment

@wayoftheroad has summed up nicely what i meant .If you are not professional in electronics repair, dont mess with the adapter(atlest before trying a new one). The adapters are not that costly. Perhaps you can get a original adapter at $15-20.

Btw, did it always charge offline?? You didnt confirm this.

Comment

What do you mean did it charge offline?. If the laptop is turned off the charger would work fine and would continue charging if it's turned on then it would switch between battery and charger. This morning I opened up the AC adaptor but unfortunately I cannot see the circuitry because it is covered by a yellow foam like substance the yellow foam would have to be removed to expose the components on the circuit board. Did you read the article in the link which I posted which somebody else has the same problem and he says he tried another adaptor but still the problem continues.

Comment

What do you mean did it charge offline?. If the laptop is turned off the charger would work fine and would continue charging if it's turned on then it would switch between battery and charger. This morning I opened up the AC adaptor but unfortunately I cannot see the circuitry because it is covered by a yellow foam like substance the yellow foam would have to be removed to expose the components on the circuit board. Did you read the article in the link which I posted which somebody else has the same problem and he says he tried another adaptor but still the problem continues.

The Reddit post just shows a burnt DC jack. I already posted what you should do to test if that is your problem. With all respect, one post on Reddit doesn't make it a common issue or even the same issue. DC Jack's failing is a common issue in laptops in general. The reasons for it can be many so it does not mean your adapter is ok.

As I said above, it likely is. You still have to test for it so you can move on in diagnosing. For instance, if your screen stops displaying a picture it does not mean there is exactly one, very common thing wrong. There are 100 reasons why your screen may stop displaying a picture or, in this case, why your laptop power is consistent/cutting.

I said to test the battery by itself and that seems to have passed. I then said to test the adapter by itself (no battery plugged in) and it fails. That and a single Reddit post does not rule out the adapter as the problem. It likely isn't the problem but that's not how repair works, especially going off 2 photos and little info. He was only suggesting that capacitors go bad in adapters often and that gives the symptoms you have.

So, again, you need to test the incoming voltage in the way I mentioned two posts ago. Black to ground, red to 19v at the jack board AND after the jack board's cable input to Motherboard. See if 19v falls when the laptop turns off (again, no battery installed for this test). This will narrow it down to motherboard or jack/adapter.

Comment

Ok, this is what i will do tomorrow morning.

Connect the AC to the laptop and power on the AC and the laptop. Ill touch the black probe of the multimeter to the DC jack houseing (which is metal) then the red probe ill touch each of the three solder connects of the DC jack separately to find the power. I need to get a reading for both when the AC is charging and when it cuts out. Then test the other end of the DC jack board, where the 8 pin cable connects. Again find the power but touching each point.

But does the battery need to be disconnected? If I disconnect the battery then I wont be able to get a reading because the laptop will shut down immediately when the AC cuts out.

Comment

Offline means in shutdown condition or standby condition. So you are confirming it works perfectly in offline condition and toggles between ac and batt in windows mode. I'll strongly suggest you to try a new original adapter before diagnosing anything and accidentally killing the machine. I've faced this in atleast 5-7 laptops and evrytime it was adapter.

Choice is yours.

Comment

Ok, this is what i will do tomorrow morning.

Connect the AC to the laptop and power on the AC and the laptop. Ill touch the black probe of the multimeter to the DC jack houseing (which is metal) then the red probe ill touch each of the three solder connects of the DC jack separately to find the power. I need to get a reading for both when the AC is charging and when it cuts out. Then test the other end of the DC jack board, where the 8 pin cable connects. Again find the power but touching each point.

But does the battery need to be disconnected? If I disconnect the battery then I wont be able to get a reading because the laptop will shut down immediately when the AC cuts out.

Yes, ideally you want the battery disconnected. You actually want the laptop to shut off as this is a test to look for voltage drop precisely when it does shut off. This will rule out the adapter and jack when tested both at and slightly past the jack.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                                Offline means in shutdown condition or standby condition. So you are confirming it works perfectly in offline condition and toggles between ac and batt in windows mode. I'll strongly suggest you to try a new original adapter before diagnosing anything and accidentally killing the machine. I've faced this in atleast 5-7 laptops and evrytime it was adapter.

Choice is yours.
                                I strongly agree with this. Unless you have zero access to another adapter, just try a "known good" adapter first. Even if you buy it just to return it after testing.

My advice is in a scenario where.you absolutely cannot or will not get another adapter.

Comment

Ive had a look for the charger online. I would be paying around $70 in Australia. Just to try it out, it may not be worth it.
                                  Thanks for the advice

Comment

Ive had a look for the charger online. I would be paying around $70 in Australia. Just to try it out, it may not be worth it.
                                    Thanks for the advice
                                    Yeah, that's a lot...

So just try what I wrote above. Again, if you keep black on ground at all times and never touch more than on point/leg/part at once with the red probe you can't damage anything. Just make sure you do that as touching (bridging) two components/pins with the red lead can definitely cause damage, depending on what they are.

Make sure you're in DC voltage mode, do the above and you'll be ok. It's safe for you physically, btw. Just keep your hands on the probes

Report back and we'll go from there.

Comment

Ill give it a go tomorrow morning, when you say the big copper circles. Do they look like where the screws go? Also will the DC jack housing be ok for grounding? One last question, in the pic of the DC jack board there three solders points is there anyway to tell which is the pos and which is the neg? I could ground on the solder point.

Comment

Ill give it a go tomorrow morning, when you say the big copper circles. Do they look like where the screws go? Also will the DC jack housing be ok for grounding? One last question, in the pic of the DC jack board there three solders points is there anyway to tell which is the pos and which is the neg? I could ground on the solder point.

Yes, those large copper circles that look like screw holes (usually are screw holes!) will be ground but the metal housing is also ground so that would be ok, too. Whatever is easier for you while testing.

My guess from the photo alone is that the pins will be in pairs. You'll likely find that the middle two are one (power or ground) and the outside two are the other. The quickest way to know without any power inserted is to test for continuity.
                                        Same idea as when you'll test for voltage, put the meter in continuity mode (beep mode), place black on ground and see which pins cause a beep. Those that Beep will be ground and those that don't will be power in (19v in).

If your meter doesn't have continuity mode, just use resistance mode (it should have the Ohms symbol that looks like an upside down horseshoe). In this mode, it works the same as other modes and those pins that show close to 0 will be ground while the power pins will show much higher numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                        X