Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topcat's Ultimate Pentium 4 Retro Gamer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Topcat's Ultimate Pentium 4 Retro Gamer!

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
    I see Pentium 4's on ebay for basically nothing (sold items)

I see Pentium D 965 Extreme editions put up for 500+ but not in any completed sales. I think I'll hang onto mine
    Pentium 4's are worthless except perhaps a couple rarer models....the 64-bit socket 478 (forgot the s-spec) = nonexistent. The 3.4GHz 1M 478 prescott = realtime sells for $75~$100.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

SL8JX, aka P4 511.

Then there's the Gallatins. Never had one so can't say how much they manage heat over Prescott.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
        SL8JX, aka P4 511.

Then there's the Gallatins. Never had one so can't say how much they manage heat over Prescott.
        I have a system with some gallatin Xeons in it.....socket 604..... They are not 64 bit....the 7505 chipset that ran them supported 8gb RAM....but you had to use PAE....and it was problematic.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Why would someone care to buy a 64-bit one? Is there really an advantage from having such a old platform
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
            Why would someone care to buy a 64-bit one? Is there really an advantage from having such a old platform
            Absolutely none....I wondered the exact same thing. I don't know of any skt478 chipsets that supported more than 4gb RAM as it is.....and XP32 (as well as any 32-bit OS) will handle that.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              ...But now I've come to appreciate them quite a bit more.
              My appreciation comes with some of the weird enthusiast goodies that were available for them, and a crossover from the days when these things had to be fabricated versus just being able to buy! I'm mentioning this for a reason, and it'll come out later in the thread. Games that were slightly older than netburst also tended to play well on them. Q3A and UT for example (two of my favorite older games); which were playable on a P2, played nicer on a P3, and played fabulous on a P4; with a good GPU of course.

I think it's the motherboard (well, OK, and the GPU too ) here that really sets it apart with the modular VRM module and 6 RAM slots. In case of the latter, I have not seen or heard of such a beast before. Very very interesting!
              On top of the modular VRM, there's also an onboard as well. It will run without the added VRM.... The VRM is supposed to add increased stability with the higher TDP P4's or with overclocking....or so I read....but yea, interesting feature...and the board was 100% complete, all accessories present. It also had a add-on card to allow one of the SATA ports to function as an eSATA.

Reminds me of that one motherboard with the vacuum tube for the audio circuit. I'm sure many of you here know which one I'm talking about (sorry that I don't recall its brand and model at the moment.)
              It was AOpen. The AX4B-533 TUBE model. I recapped a bunch of those way back in the day....as if the heat of the CPU wasn't enough to roast the motherboard caps; add a vacuum tube to the mix!! That goofy board reminds me of the $1000 cable making a recording made with a $2 cable "sound better"....but apparently they're collectors' items now...they're nearly impossible to find today.

If it's missing - make it!
              Beige case would probably be a little "too retro" for this build. XP era was the "silver" case era, more or less... and IIRC the first time when people started doing cases with see-through windows, lights, and etc. So I think this case here could fit the bill with a little custom fabrication.
              I thought of that....That would take some interesting fabrication....but given that this system was born into this case, it's probably best to keep it all together. It is as I suspected; it was made by Chenbro.

It's not only nowadays that these are worth a lot of money. Even back then, someone spent a good chunk of money on that 6800 Ultra. Though I think at one point, the AGP variants were considerably cheaper than the PCI-E ones, simply because AGP was getting outmoded and considered "legacy". Funny how time reverses things.
              ...and I picked up 2 for free in a week's time... The other was the Gateway P4 from the 'misc build' thread.

LOLz. Was the 2.6 NW an HT variant, at least? Maybe the owner/builder figured they could get a cheap CPU and OC it with that mobo?
              Possible I suppose. Prescott's back then were astronomical compared to NW's....perhaps they decided to skimp on the CPU so they could splurge on the GPU.....but no excuse for the incorrect speed memory....talk about shooting yourself in the foot! Speaking of memory; I tested it today with the OCZ I found. All good!!

Nice work!
              Not sure if intentional, but I like how you matched the blue Nichi LFs to the PCB color of the mobo.
              That was not intentional....but now that you mention it, it was a nice match!!

Yellow Fujitsu "bumblebees" also look good on these older boards, BTW.
              I didn't have the correct voltages of those to use any. Those look fabulous in a nice pretty line next to a CPU!

I always find this to be the case with the "gamer" builds - always food and spilled drinks everywhere on the case... occasionally accompanied by excessive pet & human hair... and an over-the-top "aroma" of "air fresheners".
              This one was full of dust & animal hair; looked like cat. I think they ran it most its life with the side panel off, given how crudded it was.

Yeah, that's pretty bad... though I've seen a lot worse too.
              At least it's not "tar-dust" - household dust mixed with cigarette smoke.
              Actually, for some reason, I do like that smell - reminds me very fondly of the smell of internet cafes back in the late 90's and early 2000's.
              Ick...stale cigarette is probably the worst odor in the world....but fresh cig smoke smell isn't terrible....but I still don't want it near my PC!

Actually, the thermal paste isn't/wasn't trash at all on these GPUs.
              The main problem is the heatsink size - it's way way WAY too small for the 80 Watts of heat that this GPU chip outputs. Come to think of it, that's more or less how much that 2.6 GHz Northwood outputs when maxxed out. Try putting the heatsink from this GPU onto the CPU and see how hot it runs. It will hit 70+ Celsius easily and settle around the lower range of 80 Celsius... which is a shame, because the heatsink on this 6800 Ultra has a very unique look/picture. But nVidia just couldn't be bothered to do better. Funny, though, they did make the VRAM's heatsink almost as big as the GPU's, and the VRAM isn't the one that's dissipating that much heat.

If you have a spare Zalman VF-1000 heatsink or similar, that should do the trick here for this card... even if it does ruin the card's cool original look a little bit. Worth it, though - it's a 6800 Ultra.
              Indeed...the sink is less than impressive for the GPU chip itself, but the RAM chips are very well cooled...I picked up on that as well. I am not going to uograde it like the one in the other thread apparently was....this thing won't be ran much, honestly....I'd prefer to keep it original. I did a quick ebay search for that Zalman cooler....just for grins. None to be found.

When you spin it by hand without it being powered, do you see it slow down instantly or does it rotate freely and slowly come to a stop, with a bit of wobble at the end? If the former, you might want to try switching it to machine oil. I've had problems with sleeve bearing fans starting when using grease for the lubricant. If that's not the case, maybe check/replace the fan's driver IC (if easy enough to take apart only, of course.) Or maybe one set of windings is open on the stator?
              It's definitely something electrical. It's spinning free by hand....but when running is quite weak. Stator winding would be my guess versus driver IC. Upon powerup, it'll move to one spot and stay there until you give it a whirl....then it'll start up; slowly... I'm just going to replace it, there's nothing unusual or proprietary about it.

Hey, nothing wrong even with just 4x 256 MB modules for a total of 1 GB. Back then, 1 GB was considered "rich" and would run pretty much everything. I don't remember anyone having more than 1 GB back in those days. Most people were still on 512 MB in the XP era... and the few cheap bastards like myself on 256 MB
              I remember having 2gb in my VP6 in ~1999....most didn't believe me when I told them.

WTFLOL?!??! These P4 CPU are now actually worth SOMETHING???!
              4-5 years ago, you could literally get a pound of them on eBay for about $5. Sure those were the "scrap" CPUs, meant for gold smelting and whatnot, which meant you'd get a bucket full of CPUs with bent pins and dirty with thermal compound. But you could find some "gems" that way.
              Reminds me of when they started doing that to Pentium Pro's. I remember when they hit rock bottom, you could get them all day long for about what it cost to ship them....and now good ones are getting very hard to find + expensive. The same is happening to the P4 now it seems. Besides the pins on a P4, not sure what else on/in it would contain gold. The P-Pro had lots of gold in it.

That's how I got my two 3.2 GHz P4 Prescotts. I plan on installing one in my current Optiplex 170L as a "retirement gift" ... though I might actually do that soon, just to get a little more use out of it. Not sure if the extra 400 MHz will net me much, though. The other is planned for an Optiplex GX270 build, since it has an AGP slot.
              LOL...I had a few GX270's in my fleet back when they were pretty new. Those systems with polymer caps were freight trains!
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Speaking of memtest86+ I was staring at my i3-4th gen and it was doing shitty in DRAM speed, was getting like 8GB/sec. My i7-2nd gen is getting 20GB/sec. Though both use DDR3, the i3 has CAS11 units and the i7 has CAS9 - but is the CAS11 actually halving the bandwidth, or perhaps despite saying 128-bit mode it's not really doing dual channel access?

Despite main memory speed, the i3's L1 speed is double the i7's L1 speed and I definitely can feel a bit of difference in single threaded applications, the i3 is indeed a bit faster despite the slightly higher turboboost speed of the i7. Alas if I run four threads, the i7 is way faster...

Oh, and not sure what I'll do with my dual ppro board (with two processors)...not enough ram for it to do anything interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                  Oh, and not sure what I'll do with my dual ppro board (with two processors)...not enough ram for it to do anything interesting...
                  What board is it>?
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Today's task was to tackle the power supply that originated with this system... I have never seen one of these before (transparent case)....but lets have some fun with it!

It was grungy.....

When it came to servicing this unit, I really liked the way it came apart.....but that was about all I can say I liked about it from a servicer standpoint.

The build quality was fair at best.... The PCB was rather flimsy and a corner had cracked. I attribute that to the way it was shoehorned into the main part of the body as well, there are small mounting brackets that slip into a track in the aluminum, and they don't sit flush, so it stressed teh corners. Fortunately, no trace damage resulted from the broken corner, we're still good to move forward.

Yay, a bunch of spooged fukkyou's!! Note the one under the heatsink....it expanded itself so tightly in there, it was a real joy to remove it....I was almost forced to desolder all the FET's and remove the sink....but I finally got it loose. Also note how discolored it is....it was supposed to be yellow like the rest of them....but it apparently got very hot.

Fresh caps.

Now time for the fans. To their credit, they actually spun smoothly and the bushing sleeves had not dried out.....but I wanted to clean & repack them anyway. These were 'siamese twins'....joined at the power wire....so that made washing real fun.... There was no way to separate them without cutting, depinning, or desoldering....so I just made due.

Just like the day they were born!

Also washed the shell and the clear cover. The clear cover still had the protective film on it... Yea, I'm sure that sounds all well & good....but bear in mind it's been on there 20+ years.... Removing it was no treat!!

Not bad!

Now lets have REAL some fun!! Hmmm....extra wires....

Ohh hell no....

PSU buttoned up. All voltages present and some very noise-free outputs. Not bad if I do say so myself!! I've seen 'high end' PSU's making more output noise than this!

...and done!!

Now the cheesiness you've all been waiting for!! ...and keep in mind, this isn't the end to the strangeness this build will render!!

The clear portion faces downward in the case, so this is what you'll see peering into the big window on the case....

Note the translucent power connector plug! The pics don't do that justice, it lights up in a super-cool pimptastic manner!!

What's under it will be nicely lighted....and it'll make more sense later on. ...but in the mean time, the power supply has been revived; plus some!!
                    Attached Files
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Awesome! What make and model of PSU is this? I'd love to get one of them for my A64 system to add to the LED-ness of it.

EDIT: Looks like an Apevia ATX-AS500W-BK. Can't seem to find it anywhere.
                      Last edited by TechGeek; 03-19-2022, 02:18 PM.
                      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

These cheesy Yellow Fuhjyyu capacitors gives back some memories, I remember an old PSU full of these leaking after it was less than a year old, the good old times
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                          These cheesy Yellow Fuhjyyu capacitors gives back some memories, I remember an old PSU full of these leaking after it was less than a year old, the good old times
                          Shockingly enough, the caps in the primary side were in spec, I checked them...they were values I didnt have on hand....so if they were out of whack, I'd have had to place an order..... The only ones that spooged were teh secondary caps. I didn't look to see if they were all the same series.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                            Awesome! What make and model of PSU is this? I'd love to get one of them for my A64 system to add to the LED-ness of it.

EDIT: Looks like an Apevia ATX-AS500W-BK. Can't seem to find it anywhere.
                            eBay.
                            Just have to look for "Apevia Power Supply" and look through the listings. They don't come up very often, as these are rather OLD PSUs now. But if you look often enough, one will pop-up. You'll certainly be in for a full recap job, though.

That said, I was able to find one for you.
                            https://www.ebay.com/itm/115142190636?

Not sure if I'd pay what looks like close to $35 (though it does have a "Make Offer" option.) I got mine (model ATX-IB680W) for just the price of shipping... and its caps weren't even popped yet (or bad.) I haven't posted this one BCN yet, but I will. It's almost the same as TC's, but has RGB fans - as in, fans that can be switched between Red, Green, or Blue light and not the modern RGB "rainbow" types (which is all the better, IMO. )

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                            Shockingly enough, the caps in the primary side were in spec, I checked them...they were values I didnt have on hand....so if they were out of whack, I'd have had to place an order..... The only ones that spooged were teh secondary caps. I didn't look to see if they were all the same series.
                            No, the primaries and secondary caps are different.
                            Primary should be "LP" series, if from Fuhjyyu (and I think I can see that on your PSU pictures... but you can easy check by glancing through that clear window ). The secondaries were probably Fuhjyyu TNR's. They're all yellow because Apevia / YY order them this way. On my ATX-IB680W, they're CapXon KM, also in the same yellow color. Definitely custom ordered... but always terrible choice of cap brands, though.

Today's task was to tackle the power supply that originated with this system... I have never seen one of these before (transparent case)....
                            I'm genuinely surprised to hear that, given the number of system's that have gone through your shop.

When it came to servicing this unit, I really liked the way it came apart.....but that was about all I can say I liked about it from a servicer standpoint.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1647636250

Agreed. These are great to take apart, until you get to the recapping part - the secondary side capacitors were literally an afterthought to the PCB's design. Apevia/YoungYear just shoved them all in there where space allowed.

What they should have done, IMO, is scrap the front fan and make the PCB bigger to make everything fit. Notice how big that main PS transformer is? It's ERL44, IIRC. The output inductor is also T130 size (1.3" diameter), which is appropriate for the power rating of the PSU. They didn't skimp on the size when it came to parts (and size does matter when it comes to half bridge PSUs. ) But the PCB layout is very sub-par.

The build quality was fair at best.... The PCB was rather flimsy and a corner had cracked. I attribute that to the way it was shoehorned into the main part of the body as well, there are small mounting brackets that slip into a track in the aluminum, and they don't sit flush, so it stressed teh corners.
                            And that's exactly the 2nd thing I dislike how these PSUs were built.
                            YY put a good deal of cash into the aluminum case. It would have probably cost them almost nothing more to have proper stand-offs punched into the aluminum case instead of the cheesy metal clips/springs/brackets. Well, there's a ton more stuff I don't like how they did, if you read through my ATX-AS520W thread.

Yay, a bunch of spooged fukkyou's!! Note the one under the heatsink....it expanded itself so tightly in there, it was a real joy to remove it....I was almost forced to desolder all the FET's and remove the sink....but I finally got it loose. Also note how discolored it is....it was supposed to be yellow like the rest of them....but it apparently got very hot.

Sorry, I don't mean to be laughing at your struggle... but it was just too funny how YY decided to place the cap there, and of course it bulged.

Yes, it turned dark because it filters the 5VSB, and the 5VSB is one of those 2-transistor self-oscillator designs. If the caps on its output go bad, it doesn't care - it will keep going " 'till it pops", as PhotonicInduction would say. One of the caps on the 5VSB of my ATX-AS520W also did the same thing... and unfortunately, the 5VSB circuit's secondary-side auxiliary rail also burned the series resistor for the totem-pole driver circuit when this happened (due to over-voltage.) Luckily, no other damage and the PWM IC and supervisor survived on mine.

Now time for the fans. To their credit, they actually spun smoothly and the bushing sleeves had not dried out.....but I wanted to clean & repack them anyway.
                            Apevia used pretty decent sleeve bearing fans here. On mine, one was starting to grind / run dry... but a good cleaning and machine oil brought it back to life and running great again. With good cleaning and lubrication job, I think these fans should last a long time.

You couldn't help yourself, could you?

Actually, that's a pretty neat idea! I think I might even "borrow" it for my ATX-IB680W. I though of doing something similar back when I was fixing the ATX-AS520W, but with regular colored incandescent bulbs from Christmas strings (was thinking of that so as to provide more load on the 5V rail for better regulation... though it may not be needed.)

PSU buttoned up. All voltages present and some very noise-free outputs. Not bad if I do say so myself!! I've seen 'high end' PSU's making more output noise than this!

Thanks for sharing this!

I tested my ATX-IB680W with a load after recapping it last year, but I didn't have a scope to test the output ripple. In terms of voltage regulation, though, it did fairly well. I say "fairly", because despite the strong rating on the 5V rail, the 12V rail's voltage was riding a little "high" with a heavy 5V load and low 12V load. Doing this cross-load in reverse - with the 5V rail almost not loaded, but the 12V rail loaded "heavily" (just 15 Amps, really) - both the 5V and the 12V rails were well in spec. So at least my ATX-IB680W seemed "happier" with a 12V-heavy load. Oh, and the short-circuit protections worked pretty well. Plus, I was testing this with a series heating element, which dropped the AC line down to 90'ish Volts... and the PSU still worked.

So these are not bad PSUs.

The clear portion faces downward in the case, so this is what you'll see peering into the big window on the case....

Looks good... though I'm curious how that would have looked with some UV LEDs instead of the strip. I might try that on mine.

Note the translucent power connector plug! The pics don't do that justice, it lights up in a super-cool pimptastic manner!!
                            And if you add an LED behind/inside the power switch and connect it to the 5VSB, you'd be level 9999 pimp

My appreciation comes with some of the weird enthusiast goodies that were available for them, and a crossover from the days when these things had to be fabricated versus just being able to buy!
                            That's what I miss about those times, even though I was a bit too young in that era to do my own builds & fabrication. But yeah, good days! If you go back to the beginning / 1st page of the Post your system thread, you'll get a nice nostalgia trip - at least I do!

Games that were slightly older than netburst also tended to play well on them. Q3A and UT for example (two of my favorite older games); which were playable on a P2, played nicer on a P3, and played fabulous on a P4; with a good GPU of course.

On top of the modular VRM, there's also an onboard as well. It will run without the added VRM.... The VRM is supposed to add increased stability with the higher TDP P4's or with overclocking....or so I read....but yea, interesting feature...and the board was 100% complete, all accessories present. It also had a add-on card to allow one of the SATA ports to function as an eSATA.
                            Neat!
                            That is definitely a rare find. I wouldn't be surprised if people used a motherboard like that back in the day for crazy CPU OC. I still remember that video of a P4 CPU being OC'ed to over 5 GHz with liquid Nitrogen. I wonder what board was used there.

It was AOpen. The AX4B-533 TUBE model. I recapped a bunch of those way back in the day....as if the heat of the CPU wasn't enough to roast the motherboard caps; add a vacuum tube to the mix!! That goofy board reminds me of the $1000 cable making a recording made with a $2 cable "sound better"....but apparently they're collectors' items now...they're nearly impossible to find today.
                            Well, the vacuum tube was indeed straight from audiophools' land, but you can't say those boards aren't cool still.

I LOLed at the bad caps + hot vacuum tube part, BTW. Probably 100% true.

I thought of that....That would take some interesting fabrication....but given that this system was born into this case, it's probably best to keep it all together. It is as I suspected; it was made by Chenbro.
                            Yeah, that's what I was suggesting - keep the system in the same case, but just fabricate a new front door for the case

...and I picked up 2 for free in a week's time... The other was the Gateway P4 from the 'misc build' thread.
                            Lucky bastard!

Ick...stale cigarette is probably the worst odor in the world....but fresh cig smoke smell isn't terrible....but I still don't want it near my PC!
                            I agree when it comes to clothes / houseware.
                            But for some reason, that smell mixed in with the smell of older computers / electronics - IDK, I like it.

Maybe someone should create this as a special "air freshener".

Indeed...the sink is less than impressive for the GPU chip itself, but the RAM chips are very well cooled...I picked up on that as well. I am not going to uograde it like the one in the other thread apparently was....this thing won't be ran much, honestly....I'd prefer to keep it original. I did a quick ebay search for that Zalman cooler....just for grins. None to be found.
                            Yeah, I know what you mean here - indeed it's also cool to keep the card with the stock cooler, just for the originality of it.
                            And yes, those Zalman coolers pop-up very rarely on eBay. Takes regular checking for it to find one. I think some older MSI gaming cards came with one (IIRC, HD4850/4870 cards), so could get one broken just for the cooler if you really needed it.

Or maybe with your luck, someone will just drop one off for you for recycling this week?

I remember having 2gb in my VP6 in ~1999....most didn't believe me when I told them.
                            Meanwhile, I was rocking a PII 400 MHz with 64 MB and Win 98 back then.
                            Hey, it ran Carmageddon and Need For Speed High Stakes, so I was already spoiled.

Reminds me of when they started doing that to Pentium Pro's. I remember when they hit rock bottom, you could get them all day long for about what it cost to ship them....and now good ones are getting very hard to find + expensive. The same is happening to the P4 now it seems. Besides the pins on a P4, not sure what else on/in it would contain gold. The P-Pro had lots of gold in it.
                            And soon it might happen to Core 2 Duo/Quad CPUs and motherboards - so don't be too quick to waste them just yet.
                            What I've come to see now - it's best to get these things when they are literally at scrap prices and then just put them in deep storage somewhere for 10-20 years. Then retrieve them and... all of a sudden, they have "value" again.

LOL...I had a few GX270's in my fleet back when they were pretty new. Those systems with polymer caps were freight trains!
                            My Optiplex 170L is pretty much the same way, and it already came with polymer caps. 17+ years and still going! I also still see such systems once in a while to this day in various offices and IT rooms serving as print servers and/or other similar specialized tasks - those and the LGA775 Dells to some extent.
                            Last edited by momaka; 03-19-2022, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was suggesting - keep the system in the same case, but just fabricate a new front door for the case
                              I don't know why I said chenbro....I meant to say Chieftec. It is absolutely a chieftec case....the parts actually interchange with the steel one I have here.

Looks good... though I'm curious how that would have looked with some UV LEDs instead of the strip. I might try that on mine.
                              You're killin' me! HAHA UV LED's....hmmm you're contributing to the delinquency of a minor!!

eBay.
                              Just have to look for "Apevia Power Supply" and look through the listings. They don't come up very often, as these are rather OLD PSUs now. But if you look often enough, one will pop-up. You'll certainly be in for a full recap job, though.

That said, I was able to find one for you.
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/115142190636?

Not sure if I'd pay what looks like close to $35 (though it does have a "Make Offer" option.) I got mine (model ATX-IB680W) for just the price of shipping... and its caps weren't even popped yet (or bad.) I haven't posted this one BCN yet, but I will. It's almost the same as TC's, but has RGB fans - as in, fans that can be switched between Red, Green, or Blue light and not the modern RGB "rainbow" types (which is all the better, IMO. )
                              Not sure what I'd do with another one....but they are unique for sure....and they seem to put out some pretty clean power, you saw the waveform (or lack thereof).

No, the primaries and secondary caps are different.
                              Primary should be "LP" series, if from Fuhjyyu (and I think I can see that on your PSU pictures... but you can easy check by glancing through that clear window ). The secondaries were probably Fuhjyyu TNR's. They're all yellow because Apevia / YY order them this way. On my ATX-IB680W, they're CapXon KM, also in the same yellow color. Definitely custom ordered... but always terrible choice of cap brands, though.
                              If this were to be heavily used, I would have replaced them all.... The primary caps lasted this long... HAHA

Agreed. These are great to take apart, until you get to the recapping part - the secondary side capacitors were literally an afterthought to the PCB's design. Apevia/YoungYear just shoved them all in there where space allowed.
                              No kidding!! Packed very tight. The dual push-pull fans move a lot of air....but even that couldn't save those junk caps.

What they should have done, IMO, is scrap the front fan and make the PCB bigger to make everything fit. Notice how big that main PS transformer is? It's ERL44, IIRC. The output inductor is also T130 size (1.3" diameter), which is appropriate for the power rating of the PSU. They didn't skimp on the size when it came to parts (and size does matter when it comes to half bridge PSUs. ) But the PCB layout is very sub-par.
                              Agreed 100%...and used better PCB material....

And that's exactly the 2nd thing I dislike how these PSUs were built.
                              YY put a good deal of cash into the aluminum case. It would have probably cost them almost nothing more to have proper stand-offs punched into the aluminum case instead of the cheesy metal clips/springs/brackets. Well, there's a ton more stuff I don't like how they did, if you read through my ATX-AS520W thread.
                              Another 100% correct. Neat & well designed casing....but that PCB mounting design wasn't worth a shit....

Sorry, I don't mean to be laughing at your struggle... but it was just too funny how YY decided to place the cap there, and of course it bulged.

Yes, it turned dark because it filters the 5VSB, and the 5VSB is one of those 2-transistor self-oscillator designs. If the caps on its output go bad, it doesn't care - it will keep going " 'till it pops", as PhotonicInduction would say. One of the caps on the 5VSB of my ATX-AS520W also did the same thing... and unfortunately, the 5VSB circuit's secondary-side auxiliary rail also burned the series resistor for the totem-pole driver circuit when this happened (due to over-voltage.) Luckily, no other damage and the PWM IC and supervisor survived on mine.
                              Yup, +5vstby indeed....I figured that out when I saw how 'overdone' it was compared to the others....and then of course looking at the circuitry in its path. Makes me wonder what the inside looks like...

Apevia used pretty decent sleeve bearing fans here. On mine, one was starting to grind / run dry... but a good cleaning and machine oil brought it back to life and running great again. With good cleaning and lubrication job, I think these fans should last a long time.
                              The rest of the case has a bunch of them as well...blue and light up! :LOL:

You couldn't help yourself, could you?

Actually, that's a pretty neat idea! I think I might even "borrow" it for my ATX-IB680W. I though of doing something similar back when I was fixing the ATX-AS520W, but with regular colored incandescent bulbs from Christmas strings (was thinking of that so as to provide more load on the 5V rail for better regulation... though it may not be needed.)
                              The LED's I used, 5v wouldn't strike them....it took about 8. I was doing to run some on the 5vstby, so there'd be lighting even if the system was off....but that didn't work out.

Thanks for sharing this!

I tested my ATX-IB680W with a load after recapping it last year, but I didn't have a scope to test the output ripple. In terms of voltage regulation, though, it did fairly well. I say "fairly", because despite the strong rating on the 5V rail, the 12V rail's voltage was riding a little "high" with a heavy 5V load and low 12V load. Doing this cross-load in reverse - with the 5V rail almost not loaded, but the 12V rail loaded "heavily" (just 15 Amps, really) - both the 5V and the 12V rails were well in spec. So at least my ATX-IB680W seemed "happier" with a 12V-heavy load. Oh, and the short-circuit protections worked pretty well. Plus, I was testing this with a series heating element, which dropped the AC line down to 90'ish Volts... and the PSU still worked.
                              This was under no load. Ripple leaking through would show up either way; with or without load...so I was still happy to see what I saw. I tend to always scope outputs of a reworked PSU before ever putting it on a motherboard.

And if you add an LED behind/inside the power switch and connect it to the 5VSB, you'd be level 9999 pimp
                              I'm not done yet....but the clearance was tight around the switch...but I bet I could make something fit.

...but you can't say those boards aren't cool still.
                              No denying that, that's for sure.

The door may come later on....I'd rather focus my fab skills on 'Pat'....but I will complete the system for sure.

Lucky bastard!
                              "asked for a car, got a computer! how's that for being born under a bad sign" - Ferris Bueller

Or maybe with your luck, someone will just drop one off for you for recycling this week?
                              You'd be amazed at some of the stuff that gets dropped off!! :evilgrin:

Meanwhile, I was rocking a PII 400 MHz with 64 MB and Win 98 back then.
                              Hey, it ran Carmageddon and Need For Speed High Stakes, so I was already spoiled.
                              Carmageddon...LMAO!!!!!!!! Good memories there!

And soon it might happen to Core 2 Duo/Quad CPUs and motherboards - so don't be too quick to waste them just yet.
                              What I've come to see now - it's best to get these things when they are literally at scrap prices and then just put them in deep storage somewhere for 10-20 years. Then retrieve them and... all of a sudden, they have "value" again.
                              I'm hoping so, a lot of my weird harpertown builds would fit in that genre!
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Yup, +5vstby indeed....I figured that out when I saw how 'overdone' it was compared to the others....and then of course looking at the circuitry in its path. Makes me wonder what the inside looks like...
                                I forgot to mention in my previous post: that resistor next to the 5VSB cap looks like it could have contributed allot to it as well?
                                I also moticed something else funny in the same picture: the fuse is heatshrinked but not over the glass.
                                I guess the OEM of this thing must like glass sharpnel flying everywhere in their nice plexi glass

Also forgot to mention another thing that crossed my mind:
                                Those LED's you installed are very near the primary side.
                                If anything comes loose there and touches the high voltage it would end very badly...
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Also forgot to mention another thing that crossed my mind:
                                  Those LED's you installed are very near the primary side.
                                  If anything comes loose there and touches the high voltage it would end very badly...
                                  The fan is actually pinning that in place by a good half inch (note the direction of the wires) and everything is tied up well. The exposed terminals aren't going anywhere, the rest is encased in the rubber coating. I actually thought of that. If they came loose, there's really noplace for them to go.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

I ordered a couple new 40mm fans for the northbridge and for the secondary VRM. They actually came with the heatsinks....they were new. Since one fan on this system (VRM fan) was wonky, I just went ahead and replaced them both....if nothing else, so they match.

Old fans removed & disassembled.

The next round of fun was swapping the plugs over....

...and done! Two fresh new fans! Yes, I did grease them even though they were new.

Now for her to reveal one of her well kept secrets. This was an inadvertent find when scouting a new heatsink/fan. I really wanted to use this Zalman Heatsink & fan on this build, but this Gigabyte has too much jazz packed on it, there was no way it could fit. It hit the VRM on one side of the CPU and hit RAM on the other. Not even close enough to modify...so that got quickly scrubbed....and I was looking for an alternative to cooling besides the yawn yawn boring Intel stock coolers....and I stumbled upon this; which is why I mentioned the long lost PC enthusiast base from this era.......because here's what I came up with!

A Zalman ZM-WB4 Plus water block for a socket 478! Now we're talking! I didn't think any of these were even left.... Finding one new old stock apparently not an easy feat....and it didn't cost much; $26 IIRC.

Alright, I know what you're thinking....water cooling is not a big deal today....you can buy prefabbed coolers all day long, all self-contained units...just plug them in and go.....so why is this significant? The last CPU I liquid cooled was a Pentium 3 750/100 @ 1GHz/133 in an Asus CUVX4-E....not really a big deal today; a whopping 250MHz overclock (coppermines were awesome overclockers if kept cooled)....but at the time, the P3 @ 1GHz was astronomical in price versus the P3 @ 750... Be that as it may, here's the fun part....you couldn't just go buy water cooling gear back then....it all had to be fabricated... Pumps were no biggie, those decorative back yard pond pumps worked great. The radiator wasn't a big deal either, I used a heater core out of a Mazda pickup. The greatness came in the form of the water block made to fit on a socket 370. I was lucky enough to have a friend who's dad owned a machine shop....and not an engine shop.... He did design & fab engineer work for a local manufacturer and had some wicked tooling available. Long story short, he fabricated a water block from copper not only for flow & cooling but also so it could be attached to a S370 using those two stupid little tabs on the ZIF socket. He welded 2x 5/16" fuel line barbs; input and output into the block....and turned it over to me and told me to figure out the rest....and I did! ...and my first (and only) water cooled system was born... This was maybe 2000-ish.... I ended up selling the system to his son (my friend) for what I had in it; he wanted a gaming rig....and after the fab work his dad did (for free), I would feel like a jerk making money on it....so I gave it away for cost. IIRC the GPU was a Radeon 8500. I ran it for about 5 months and never had a bit of trouble out of it.

Ok, fast forward to today....I've done a few pre-fab liquid cooled rigs for customers here & there....nothing to write home about...and no, nothing will ever live up to the hand crafted water block of decades past.....but I'm going to make a little attempt at it anyway....and this is the start!!
                                    Attached Files
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Wow TC, you jogged my memory today.
                                      I actually built a few waterblocks waaay back when.
                                      Those where the good old times!
                                      Crazy to think it must be 20 years ago though!
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-25-2022, 03:02 PM. Reason: Add 20 year old picture :)

Comment

I can imagine people doing this now with the VRAM on modern video cards.

(a smaller radiator for the VRAM chips)
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Amen, brother on all accounts!! PC's today are so boring in comparison to back then!

BTW, I love those water blocks. That radiator looks like a small oil cooler, I bet that worked great with a bank of fans blowing through it!! I really miss those days!
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X