Mtester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mtester

Hi all, new here and wanted to ask you guys if you can help me understand the device I got.
    A few years back I got this Mtester at a local shop but noticed that it sometimes seems to have some errors?
    Secondly, I would like to understand how this thing works when for example testing caps, if it needs some kind of calibration of some sort.

The error it seems to give is that when I measure a (used) electrolytic cap and place the leads in socket 1 and 3 it sometimes displays that the cap has zero ESR (ESR reads 0.00) But when I place the same cap into lets say socket 1 and 2 it does display a certain ESR value. Have noticed this happening several times.

I was at that shop and saw the man sell this device to someone and heard of its capabilities and got interested too. So I bought one, not knowing what it was exactly, I mean I did not know that i could be a copy of an original Mtester, still not sure though.

The reason I ask is that I have been given some boxes filled with used and old stock caps and have already gone through some of it to see whats good and what not. Well, that is the thing, some were obvious as they gotten a capactiy of over three times or more of their original size. Others had such a immense large ESR that that was an indicator too as some similar ones (of the same value, type and brand) were still in spec.
    But is there a guideline to see when a cap of a certain value is probably out of spec and gone bad?

Re: Mtester

This is my little tester and some of the caps I got.
    Strangely enough some of the top tier brands were completely out of spec and some brands that I haven't heard of before like Tosin were perfect. But then again, it is not known where those caps were used and if they had a hard life or not.
    Some of you may not agree reusing used or salvaged caps but I think when they are in spec and still seem ok, why not
    Attached Files

Comment

it's a T4 component tester
      short the 3 pins and turn it on - it will go into cal mode
      have a 220nF polyester cap handy.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by stj; 02-24-2022, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks! I will have a look at that pdf

Comment

Haven't gone through the calibration section yet but saw the T4 as you described it to be in the pdf. So if I understand it correctly, I have been sold a chinese clone instead of a legit version that I was told it was.

Comment

yes........i have got the same one..but in kit form

Comment

Think I overpaid and was fooled by this guy. Sold me some caps back then that were way out of spec too but said they were one of the best available.
              The tester was a kit too, had to assemble it and cost me shy of 30 euro's.

Comment

These are all some variant of the original creators project.
                It has been improved or modified several times by everyone who wished to play with it!

Comment

damn, a T4 is worth about €7

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    damn, a T4 is worth about €7
                    Link please?

Comment

ebay or aliexpress.

it's the bottom of the range, the good ones have colour display and some are cased with a lithium battery and zener tester

Comment

Working...
                      X