Looking for best replacements for Capxons, but can't find data sheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for best replacements for Capxons, but can't find data sheets

Recapping the power supply board for a Samsung 305T monitor, everything is Capxon except 2 Rubycons. I can't find data sheets matching these online, so don't know what ripple numbers, impedence, etc, to look for. There are a few different looking GL series data sheet PDFs, but the listing that matches the capacitance and voltage is a much bigger case size. I've narrowed down selections with lead spacing and case diameter, and what's in stock at Digi-key

1 x Capxon 1000uf35v GL C720(is this a part number or batch number, can't find it anywhere) 105c

1 x Capxon 1000uf35v GL C721 105c (This looks identical to the C720)
    The in-stock options for these are Rubycon ZLH, YXF, YXG, YXJ, ZLQ, ZLS;
    Panny EB-A; Nichicon UPA, UVK, UVZ. They come in a wide range of ripple and impedance.

1 x Capxon 1000uf25v KM P711 105c
    Available are Rubycon PX, YXJ, ZLS, JXF; Panny HD, FR-A; Nichicon UVY,
    UPY, UHE, UVZ, UPA, UVR

1 x Capxon 2200uf10v GL C721 105c
    Rubycon ZLH, ZLJ, ZLS; Nichicon UVZ, UVY, UVR, UVK, UHE, UHW, UPA, UHV

2 x Rubycon 35v1000uf YXG S0717 105c (These are probably fine, but I may as well replace, or at least have replacements on hand) Direct replacements are available, unless someone can suggest a better series.

1 x Capxon 1000uf10v KM C717 105c
    Rubicon ZLH, ZL, YXH, YXF, YXJ, ZLS, AX, YXG; Panny NHG-A, FS-A, HD, M-
    A, FR-A; Nichicon UVR, UVY, UVK, URZ, UPM, UPA, UHD, UPS, URSUPJ, UHE

Those are all the ones clustered together next to heatsinks on the "cold" side of the board. The rest are:

3x Capxon 47uf50v KM P720 105c
    Rubicon YXF; Panny FR-A, NHG-A; Nichicon UVZ, UVR

1x Capxon 68uf63v KM P714 105c
    Rubicon UPJ, UKL, UPM

1x Capxon 100uf50v GL C546 105c
    Panny FR-A, FM-A; Nichicon UPJ, UKL, URS,

1x Capxon 100uf10v KM P715 105c
    Panny GR-A, FR-A; Nichicon UVR

1x Capxon 10uf50v KM P716 105c
    Rubycon YXF; Panny GA-A, KS, NHG-A, HD; Nichicon UPM, UKL

Any suggestions much appreciated.
    Cheers!

Re: Looking for best replacements for Capxons, but can't find data sheets

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...b98443c906.pdf

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...c0932e41ea.pdf

Comment

These were the datasheets I looked at, but there are some discrepancies that make me second guess whether these caps are on these sheets. The first is the size for the sole entry in the GL 1000uf35v; listed at 13mmx30mm. The one on the board I'm looking at is 12, maybe 12.5 with the wrapper, by 20mm. And that's the bulgy one.

Comment

The earlier version has two sizes listed.
        Attached Files

Comment

I definitely looked at all the GL sheets in that database, including that one. Maybe I'm missing something, or don't know how to read them, because I only see the same 13x30 size.

Comment

Originally posted by withalligators View Post
            I definitely looked at all the GL sheets in that database, including that one. Maybe I'm missing something, or don't know how to read them, because I only see the same 13x30 size.
            Those CapXon GL might be a custom order, which is why you may not find them in the datasheets.

In cases like that, look up a cap of the same voltage with the same case size and use the ripple and ESR specs (if any) of that. If same case size does not exist in the same voltage range, look up from nearby voltage range (i.e. if it's a 16V cap with 13x30 mm case size, then you can also see if anything in the same 13x30 mm case size exists the 10V and 25V range to get an idea of where the ESR and RC ratings might stand.)

And if that's not possible, just "wing it" and use a "medium grade" low ESR PSU-suitable cap, like UCC KY/KZE series or Nichicon HE... or something close to that range. CapXon caps are quite the garbage, so anything will do better to replace them, even if not quite the "right" choice.

1 x Capxon 1000uf35v GL C720(is this a part number or batch number, can't find it anywhere) 105c
            Looking at the datasheet specs for the 13x30 mm CapXon GL, it appears even Rubycon YXJ would do the job... and Rubycon YXJ is super-basic entry-level low ESR... so just about anything will work here:

1 x Capxon 1000uf35v GL C721 105c (This looks identical to the C720)
            The in-stock options for these are Rubycon ZLH, YXF, YXG, YXJ, ZLQ, ZLS;
            Panny EB-A; Nichicon UPA, UVK, UVZ. They come in a wide range of ripple and impedance.
            It's the same cap.
            Ruby YXJ and YXG will work nicely. YXF has lower ripple, so not quite up to spec... but probably won't matter too much. Any of the Rubycon ZL_ series will do.
            Panny EB-A, Nichicon VK & VZ are GP, so don't use, unless you really really have nothing else available.
            Nichicon PA is a good enough match too (slightly lower RC and ESR... which is OK - you don't have to be spot-on with these at all.)

1 x Capxon 1000uf25v KM P711 105c
            Available are Rubycon PX, YXJ, ZLS, JXF; Panny HD, FR-A; Nichicon UVY,
            UPY, UHE, UVZ, UPA, UVR
            CapXon KM is general purpose crap, so use whatever you really want from the above listed... though IMO, Ruby YXJ, along with Nichicon PA and HE would be good fits. Panny FR and Ruby ZLS might be a bit "too good", possibly causing the PSU to whine under light loading (not detrimental, but may be annoyingly audible sometimes)
            In regards to the Nichicon "PY" series - are you sure that's not "PV" (pee-vee) series? PY is obsolete from what I know and probably not going to find it anywhere (except obscure sellers with very old NOS). Anyways, if you do, PY crosses to PW series.

1 x Capxon 2200uf10v GL C721 105c
            Rubycon ZLH, ZLJ, ZLS; Nichicon UVZ, UVY, UVR, UVK, UHE, UHW, UPA, UHV
            Nichi PA and HE would be my first choice for matching specs... but if you just want to save a few cents here and there, any of the listed Ruby ZL_ series will do, along with Nichi HW and HV.
            Again, Nichi VZ, VY, VR, and VK are general purpose, so I usually ignore them in my searches. They are OK for audio circuits or low-heat, low-stress linear regulator circuits.

2 x Rubycon 35v1000uf YXG S0717 105c (These are probably fine, but I may as well replace, or at least have replacements on hand) Direct replacements are available, unless someone can suggest a better series.
            I'd leave these. Ruby YXG's are pretty good. Unless you can see the board has discolored / darkened around them from heat, there shouldn't be a need to replace them.

1 x Capxon 1000uf10v KM C717 105c
            Rubicon ZLH, ZL, YXH, YXF, YXJ, ZLS, AX, YXG; Panny NHG-A, FS-A, HD, M-
            A, FR-A; Nichicon UVR, UVY, UVK, URZ, UPM, UPA, UHD, UPS, URSUPJ, UHE
            See my other reply for the other CapXon KM above.

The rest are:

3x Capxon 47uf50v KM P720 105c
            Rubicon YXF; Panny FR-A, NHG-A; Nichicon UVZ, UVR

1x Capxon 68uf63v KM P714 105c
            Rubicon UPJ, UKL, UPM

1x Capxon 100uf50v GL C546 105c
            Panny FR-A, FM-A; Nichicon UPJ, UKL, URS,

1x Capxon 100uf10v KM P715 105c
            Panny GR-A, FR-A; Nichicon UVR

1x Capxon 10uf50v KM P716 105c
            Rubycon YXF; Panny GA-A, KS, NHG-A, HD; Nichicon UPM, UKL

Any suggestions much appreciated.
            Cheers!
            Rubycon YXJ/YXF would be my first choice for these, followed by Nichicon PJ and PM. I've seen some older small Nichi PM caps have issues with bung seals, so I'm still a bit weary of them, even though I do have newer ones and do still use them in repairs.

BTW, Nichicon KL (UKL) is audio-grade, IIRC. So you can ignore those too.
            Pretty much when doing PSU recapping, ignore the 85C caps, unless you can't find anything else in stock.

Now if I had to choose between a GP 85C Japanese brand and a "2nd tier" 105C non-Japanese brand, I'd probably go with the former, even if it doesn't quite "meet specs".
            Last edited by momaka; 03-26-2022, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Momaka, thank you so much for this very detailed reply. I really, really appreciate it.
              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X