OMG SAMSUNG UN55F9000 Ultra HD, SMART, 3D 4K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG SAMSUNG UN55F9000 Ultra HD, SMART, 3D 4K

This is, without a doubt, the BEST TV I have ever been able to get my hands on...

Unfortunately, it is non-functional, which is why I got it..

It's got a separate ONE CONNECT box with all the video hookups and is connected to the main video board by a special cable..

When powered up WITHOUT the OC box, I get a white screen with some green, blue and yellow coloring on the top and bottom edges...

When I have the OC box hooked up, the TV won't power up at all....

On an LED, I am not sure what voltages to check...

I found an exact description of the problem here:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/archive.../t-104754.html

But that owner just boxed it back up and exchanged it...

From the evidence, I am guessing I have a bad ONE CONNECT box.. But I wanted to see if I could get some confirmation before I spring for a new one..

Thanx in advance...
    Attached Files

Re: OMG SAMSUNG UN55F9000 Ultra HD, SMART, 3D 4K

can you open the OC up and look to see if there are any fusing associated with the box?

Comment

Thanx for the reply...

That's kinda hard to tell, as there is no power jack... I am assuming it is getting power thru the cable to the TV...
      Attached Files

Comment

Better picture of the topside of the PCB...
        Attached Files

Comment

I see 2 components marked Fxxx and am assuming those are fuses..

They check out with full continuity...
          Attached Files

Comment

OK ... BUT ... now that you got it apart, I would think that the next best test would be to plug into the set and see what voltages (if any) appear at those fuses.... maybe. I am not sure if anyone has ever taken a OC apart or has seen a troubleshooting / circuit description for it.

Comment

OK, but bear with me.. I am a novice at checking voltages beyond the obvious '+' & '-' silkscreened on the PCB..

Take the probes and just apply them to each side of the fuse?? Or a probe to fuse and the other probe to GND???

Comment

most of the time you need to "always" measure to a known ground... that's the reference.

Anyways, you should also scan thru the forum looking at the various threads for similar sets to see if anything "pops" out. There is some mention of people with experience that indicate a "bad design / implementation" of the box... heating, cracked tracks, etc. So potentially you are likely right to focus on the box, although if the box isn't plugged in, there should be some message to plug it in... is that there?

Further, you should also verify the voltages that are printed on the various boards on the set... with the OC not connected so that you have a picture of some sort.
                Last edited by budwich; 07-03-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                  most of the time you need to "always" measure to a known ground... that's the reference.

Anyways, you should also scan thru the forum looking at the various threads for similar sets to see if anything "pops" out. There is some mention of people with experience that indicate a "bad design / implementation" of the box... heating, cracked tracks, etc. So potentially you are likely right to focus on the box, although if the box isn't plugged in, there should be some message to plug it in... is that there?
                  Yea, first thing I did is looked thru the forum.. And there was only one post for the UN55F9000

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ight=UN55F9000

As far as the One Connect board on my unit.. I can confirm that the graphic chips do warm up when the TV is powered up..

I'll check those voltages now...
                  Attached Files

Comment

OK ... BUT ... now that you got it apart, I would think that the next best test would be to plug into the set and see what voltages (if any) appear at those fuses.... maybe. I am not sure if anyone has ever taken a OC apart or has seen a troubleshooting / circuit description for it.
                    A steady 12.1v on both sides of both fuses...

Comment

So potentially you are likely right to focus on the box, although if the box isn't plugged in, there should be some message to plug it in... is that there?
                      Nope, no message.. Just the white screen with the yellow garble at the top and the green/blue garble at the bottom... http://www.rojomojo.net/images/55F9000-bad.jpg
                      Last edited by Michale32086; 07-03-2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

then, based on my quick read. You have a set problem and not a OC problem. Hence, you need to go thru the checks of the board / connector voltages as suggested. Of course, you have a large number of posts todate, so you should be following the "guidelines" that have been posted MANY times by good people about what is needed by the forum to help you. :-)

Comment

then, based on my quick read. You have a set problem and not a OC problem.
                          I was afraid of that..

Hence, you need to go thru the checks of the board / connector voltages as suggested. Of course, you have a large number of posts todate, so you should be following the "guidelines" that have been posted MANY times by good people about what is needed by the forum to help you. :-)
                          Sounds about right.. Thanx for getting me this far...

Comment

:-( my guess is a tcon problem maybe as again from a quick read, there should be a picture "showing" you to plug in the OC. In your case, that picture is "scrambled"... maybe ... as in "mis-timed". The "12 volts" sounds / looks good as most of the boards rely on 12v as their "feeds".

Comment

The TCON has two fuses which check out..

Something interesting.. On a conventional LED if you disconnect one side of the connectors that go into the display panel, you get a white screen where the TCON should be plugged in..

This doesn't happen here.. When I unplug one side of the TCON (the 4 cellophane connectors for lack of a better term) I don't get the white screen anymore.. I just get a black screen with the backlights on...

I dunno what it means, but it's something different..
                              Attached Files

Comment

OK Something else..

Pictured is the TCON board and the board to the right of it.. Driver board??

Anyways, when I disconnect any of the connections marked in RED, I just get a black screen at power up..

But when I disconnect one or both of the connectors marked in GREEN, I get that white display with the farbled yellow/blue/green characters...

Not sure what that means, if anything.. I should also note that the connector marked with the pink line had some bent connections that might have shorted that board it's attached to...
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Michale32086; 07-03-2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Further info....

With that middle board, the one connector that's shown disconnected....

With it like that, the TV *DOES* come on with the OC box connected.. It's still the white screen, but it's a little more "scrambled" then w/o the OC box...

I am thinking it's that middle board that might be the culprit??
                                  Attached Files

Comment

:-) well now you are into it... "swamp" that is. Anyways, some good observation. You need to look for some service manual for this or equivalent set.
                                    I am past my "limits" but newer / fancier sets have some form of "dual stage" processing to handle higher "refresh cycles". I think one of the cables that you disconnect is the "lvds" like cable which normally goes between the main card and the TCON. As suggested, start checking voltages stamped on cards / connectors. Hopefully, you can find somethings that is perhaps missing / not right that will lead you some where good. Your "observation" about the bent pins is good. It might have taken out the "pre-processor" or the other end card. There are labels on those connectors... I can't make out what they are ... maybe a close up picture of those connectors/labels.

Comment

Do you have an oscilloscope

Comment

:-) well now you are into it... "swamp" that is. Anyways, some good observation. You need to look for some service manual for this or equivalent set.
                                        I am past my "limits" but newer / fancier sets have some form of "dual stage" processing to handle higher "refresh cycles". I think one of the cables that you disconnect is the "lvds" like cable which normally goes between the main card and the TCON. As suggested, start checking voltages stamped on cards / connectors. Hopefully, you can find somethings that is perhaps missing / not right that will lead you some where good. Your "observation" about the bent pins is good. It might have taken out the "pre-processor" or the other end card. There are labels on those connectors... I can't make out what they are ... maybe a close up picture of those connectors/labels.
                                        I went ahead and ordered a new OC box.. Got it for a good deal so it was worth it just to fully eliminate the OC as a possibility..

I am running into my shop for a bit this morning to reset the Internet. Had a bad storm roll thru there last night and it seems to play havoc with the system..

I'll try and get a better pic of the connectors and labels...

Comment

Working...
                                        X