Asus N550JV Not Passing POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus N550JV Not Passing POST

I have an ASUS N550JV Rev 2.0 Motherboard that is not passing post. It was sitting plugged in for a while and when I tried turning it on it would occasionally try to boot (LEDs on front flashing with power solid) then just turn off. No screen activity. After moving the LCD forward or back and resetting the plug it would sometimes turn on. Now its no longer turning on at all. Just power light, (battery charge light if battery connected) and then the three other LEDs flash in sequence from right to left and then the power shuts off. Nothing has been able to bring it back to life so far. When it was working I tried to reflash the BIOS and did once but it changed nothing with how it was booting nor did it directly cause it to stop booting. I have read through forum posts here with others that have similar problems. I am not an expert in PCB tracing but have started dabbling as I am learning more and more about electronics and components. Obviously this is way further away from the old chips I used to work with.

Does anyone have any suggestions that they might offer. I have downloaded BoardViewer and the Schematic file posted here. I have tried following some of the other posts but those are more specific to their issues of auto starting or just nothing.

I have had the MOBO replaced once before by Asus (probably a bad idea) but I do not want to do that again. Frankly I would love to get this working again because it is such a great laptop form factor.

Other things I have checked:
    Power Adapter has correct voltage and amps. Tried other ac adapter brand new from amazon and no changes. Sent it back.

Tried removing battery and cmos battery for days and holding power button stuff. Basic discharge circuits and reattach to see if that works. Still nothing.

I have traced a few capacitors and they have voltage but as I stated I am no PCB technician and many of the parts are super small.

I have checked the CMOS battery and it still does have voltage of 3V.

Re did the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU just incase it was overheating.

I tried alternate RAM. And even tried reflowing some of the capacitor and coils to make sure the solder wasn't cracking and getting disconnected.

If anyone has suggestions I am greatly appreciative.

Re: Asus N550JV Not Passing POST

Start with Checking, which coils have Voltage before and after pressing the Power Button. Check also Resistance to GND of each coil (with all Power removed).

Share a Pic of the Board with your measurements to have an detailed Overview about the Situation.
    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. Some family emergencies called me away and I was busy catching back up on work. I have analyzed the board coils and documented as best I could. The one back side coil I might have transposed the voltage off plugged in and pressing on but I figure that one is not causing my issue since it seems to be working as far as I know.

Any advice or suggestions again is greatly appreciated. I don't quite understand what the stock values are but seeing some wide ranges alarms me a bit.

Thanks in advance!
      Attached Files

Comment

Hoping anyone might have suggestions. I have tried reviewing the board and cannot see anything. If there are other points that would be suggested areas to check any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Sounds like it doesn't even get to POST.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

The Voltages as well as resistance readings seems more or less fine. I'll suggest 2 things-
            01.Replace ram stick with a known good
            02.Flash known good bios.

If both these steps dont solve your problem, we've to look for powergood signals.

Comment

I have tried a known good ram stick (using one at a time). The one question I have is how do you flash a good bios if it will not stay on?

Comment

You need an SPI bios programmer(Even the cheaper CH34A will do the job). Need to de-solder bios chip from mb and program the bios chip with Bios programmer and put it back on mb.

Comment

I just removed the chip and flashed it after a few attempts. Now the whole board does not turn on. Not sure what else can be done. The chip flashed fine and verified with the bios. I have a strong suspicion something else is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X