Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP Proliant ML110 G5 - CAUTION RISK OF FIRE (epic fail!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP Proliant ML110 G5 - CAUTION RISK OF FIRE (epic fail!)

Customer just brought this in today, the very same, fortunately only one drive is dead because of that, but the connector is in even worse shape.

On top of that, fan (ADDA) seized in the power supply and all caps inside are bad
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Hmmm. I wonder if ripple from the bad caps in the PSU caused that. Or are we just dealing with some really crappy SATA power connectors in these ML110's?

Comment

Just the adapters. From what it looks like, I think there never was problem with overeheating contants of the connector itself. There must be problem inside, as it always burns from the inside and only propagates outside, possibly huge part of the batch is bad. Just wonder what, maybe bad crimping of the contacts before they pressed it in the plastic mold?
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

I had one of these Molex to SATA connectors self-immolate and catch the plastic face plate on fire. A good thing I was nearby, able to putout the flames, and unplug it. The odd thing, compared to other reports, this adapter was not plugged into a SATA port. I had setup the 3.5" bay with an adapter for a 2.5" SSD, but had not install one, so the cable was just hanging out in there. It had been in this configuration for about 3 years.

I had other adapters like these in some other computers, but have removed them all. The key commonality between the problem ones, they all have molded SATA connector ends. There seem to be a variety of ways these are constructed internally. The other two I pulled out are different. One has no outside markings on the SATA head and the molding part is entirely black plastic and difficult to cut open. I believe the wires are internally soldered to the individual SATA contact forks. The other one only has the black plastic on the outside, with a clear, softer material internally holding the wires in place. The wires are crimped to the SATA contact forks. This one has "ICT" and "Crimped" molded into the outside of the SATA plug.
          Attached Files

Comment

WOW!

That last one is really scary. I'm glad to hear you were around to catch when it started. Looking at the burned plastic on the HP case, that could certainly and easily have started a house fire.

On that note, I guess so much for fire-retardant plastic in PC cases... or perhaps that's just something HP did? (i.e. stop using fire retardants in the newer cases.) Last I checked when I cleaned a bunch of these HP cases, the front plastic bezel is ABS and/or PC (polycarbon), IIRC. Guess I'll have to re-open one to see if the plastic did have an FR rating. The old beige cases that love to turn yellow over time are full of brominated fire retardants.

Anyways... so it really looks like the adapters that catch fire are only the ones with molded cables in the case. And by what zaphar noted in that last post above, it wasn't even plugged into anything, yet started a fire. Probably something indeed going wrong inside the connector then. I don't think tin whiskers can be the cause behind it... but maybe they can? In any case, this is scary.

*EDIT*
            looking through my stash of Molex-->SATA power adapters, most are of this molded variety.
            Hmm... I don't want to waste them, though. Perhaps I'll just install a 2-4 Amp fuse and hope for the best?
            I don't use them too often, though... and usually only for temporary setups. But a lot of times, I do tend to do that on my carpeted floor.

I also have one that is a SATA-->Molex with this molded cable. Now for that one, I have no clue how to make it safer, since the SATA adapter comes in before the wires. :\
            Last edited by momaka; 02-13-2022, 10:02 PM.

Comment

they all forbid those brominated retardants as heavy polutants, so I think all that's used now burns very good

actually, got a small furnace in me working garage and I've been lately scrapping old cases, most of the ones manufactured directly after the old beige ones are all PVC etc., so I tried tossing the front panels to the fire when it was very hot (for quality burn) - it was crazy, had to put fan blowing towards the duct system (with heat exchanger) to full speed and even than it was barely keeping the immediate parts (just behind the furnace) from glowing red!!

Comment

Working...
              X