Philips 70PUS7505/12 - Contrasts in image are echoed vertically upwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Philips 70PUS7505/12 - Contrasts in image are echoed vertically upwards

I'm just preparing for the worst, I would prefer not to receive a replacement device that is a refurbished "equivalent model" with 50,000+ hours run time already.

I'll see what the service vendor comes up with, and I actually got a message today that sounds promising.
    They let me know that the panel is the identified bad component and they have received message that it is available, so they will contact me later in the week to book a service visit to replace the entire panel.
    It will be interesting to see how that works out.

Comment

Law in EU.. temporary TV should delivered to home as replace until the original fixed or money back.

Comment

That's good to hear, new panel should do the trick.

Comment

Today the repair guy arrived with a replacement panel.
          He took one look at the symptoms on the screen and concluded that this fault is in the panel so it all had to go.

In fact, he brought an all new chassis with the PSU- and SSB-boards missing including the internal cable harness, so those were swapped over from the old chassis into the new.
          He said that the TCON-board is actually part of the panel assembly, and that it was an LG panel.
          The replacement panel was a newer version with a very different TCON-board.

The old TCON-board looked like this:

The new TCON-board looked like this:

This was the internal label on the old chassis:

This is the internal label on the new chassis:

Afterwards, the picture was stretched and doubled horizontally, so he entered the menu and went to set the new Panel ID 147 as was specified on the internal label.
          But the range of values only went up to 24, so that was a bust.
          The old value was 5.
          He had to call someone to look it up, they asked if the TCON read "panda" or "chot", and since it was the latter, they said the correct value can be either 5 or 9, so he set it to 9 and that worked.

The old chassis would be sent back to the factory in Poland, he said.

The work report that I received by email afterwards, read:
          Code:
          IRIS Codes:
          Condition: 1 - Constantly
          Symptom:   34C - Clouding, “MURA”
          Defect:    N - Defective electrical component / module
          Repair:    A2 - Module replacement
          So I don't know what exactly the cause of the error was, beside his comment that it was internal in the panel.

The TV works again anyway, so all is well.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Maalobs; 01-27-2024, 06:03 AM.

Comment

I am glad that you never opened the tv. That could have nullified your warranty. Whew.

Comment

I've got an update on this TV.
              Last night, while my mother was zapping channels, something happened with the picture and she's too old explain it, but suddenly she had this kind of picture:

The picture was compressed to 50% on the horizontal axis and doubled.
              I was over there today to see what's going on.

I tried all the basics; power cycle, different sources, different resolutions, nothing helped.
              The Error Buffer was empty too.
              The problem solving flowchart in the service manual ends on "take photo", same as last time when the panel had to be replaced.

So there was nothing to go on, however, I remember when the repair guy started the TV for the first time after the panel replacement, that this was how the picture looked like.
              He had to set the Panel ID to the correct value through one of the service menus, after that the picture was good.
              I thought I'd better verify that setting, which was a bit confusing because there is also something called "Panel Code" which is one of the listed values in the Customer Service Mode menu, but it is not the same thing even though the value is similar.

I found the correct parameter in Factory Mode (you have to be very fast with the key sequence on the remote control to enter this mode!), it's listed there as PANEL_ID.
              The value was 10 instead of the expected 9.
              In binary that's two bits of difference so I wonder what happened there, I'm assuming these fundamental settings are the ones stored in the SPI EEPROM.

I changed the value to 9, scrolled down through what looked like almost 100 parameters to select EXIT_FACTORY at the far bottom of the list and then turned the TV off and on again with the remote control.
              Afterwards, the picture was back to normal!

The warranty is still valid for two more months, but it looks like I dodged a bullet in having to deal with this RMA over christmas.

That's two problems with this TV within the first two years of use.
              It's a low-tier model, a primitive system, the subtitling for example doesn't support Unicode even if you add the UTF8 BOM to the top of the srt-file.

I wonder if it's even a Philips product and not just a Chinese garbage product from an external ODM.
              I guess a lesson from this is to not buy TVs from the low-tier product lines, not matter how "good" the price is.
              Attached Files

Comment

that is strange that you had to reset that value, it does not seem very trustworthy if it can't even retain a setting.

Comment

Yes, I'm think of replacing that EEPROM chip with one from Digi-Key, it seems wierd to get a bit rot so soon in the product's lifetime, and those values were last set just six months ago.

Comment

today's Philips lcd are rubbish Chinese tv from TPV, the original screen was not from LG, and original problem was not "panel mura / clouding", Also in italy Philips service sucks.. don't change tcon eprom, the panel's code is stored on main board. I don't see the need of 70 inches, much better smaller tv higher quality..
                    Last edited by Davi.p; 12-19-2022, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Yes, I meant the I2C EEPROM on the SSB.

As for size, this panel was a good fit for the oldtimers and their poor eye sight.
                      Last edited by Maalobs; 01-23-2024, 05:28 PM.

Comment

no spi, probably. there's a 24c eprom

Comment

I was just assuming the type since there was no PCB layout in the service manual to refer to, so I'd have to find out when I see the actual SSB.

Comment

Working...
                          X