This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION

I'm not really sure Shroomie. Somebody was throwing it away, so I grabbed it. A friend helped me cut out the holes for the 120mm fans. I just found out that these guys are a part of Emerson Electric, a reputed manufacturer of UPS units. Emerson gobbled up Liebert in 99 or so and have added quite a bit to their product line. My mom worked for Liebert/Emerson for about 15 yrs. Quite a reputed company.
    Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
    Zippy GSM-6600P
    Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
    Abit IP35Pro
    ATi HD4870

Comment

kc8adu: Regarding #2 of the Dalco: JEE's copying the Rubycon K-vent? Yeesh! I'd be surprised if even the Teapo I see was real in that thing.

Got any post-repair pics?
      You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
      Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Regarding gdement's post on the fake IBM AC adaptor, I can see what looks like a Nippon Chemi-Con 400/450V unit (fake?) with the rest being KAC brand.
        So the fakes often have poor quality capacitors... no wonder the makers can't spell (r.e. THINKRPAD)!
        I once found a fake Sony camcorder charger on http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release...ease_id=187744
        Guess they would be missing safety critical components...
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Hmmpph another of my favourite companies Globalwin, this is just depressing ...

I was going to buy this for it's -5v rail
          Attached Files
          Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            I thought Del Taco is a SoCal Mexican fast food chain. They do power supplies too? Seriously, the label says 350W, but 250-275 looks more realistic (given the large fan; otherwise 200W-225W).
            Yea, but it does look allot better than your run of the mill Deer PSU! (it actually _has_ an input filter )

Lol, so this PSU gets spot 9/10
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

sillydanny's 2themax HE370PRO PSU looks to have genuine Sanyo and Rubycon caps?

Did it come like that from the factory?
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Probably not as there are Fuhjyyu caps too.

Comment

Yeah, I thought the mix of F-yu's with Rubycons and apparent Sanyos odd.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pope
                    Nice 2U Sever PSU!!

How about the cost?
                    I don't know, I got it included with the Intel SR2300 2U chassi...

There is a pic of it in this thread if you want to see how it looks.

Comment

probably between $160-250
                      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I myself would never place a QC OK sticker on a Fuhjyyu cap...

Maybe if recapped it would be a nice PSU!
                        You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

well youre not a chinaman getting paid a buck a day or whatever
                          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Have got an Qtek 400W Dual FAN GOLD Psu on the desk, just to say it, all caps except the ones at the 3,3v rail are heavily bulged (all are JJ LOW ESR caps).
                            0,75v ripple on all rails, except 3,3v rail.
                            May be i post some pic`s in the pictured topic as well.
                            The psu is overall not that bad, at least all RFI things are there and of good quality, but heatsinks and caps are inferior. But the most anoying thing are those damn noisy unregulated 80mm fans.
                            To make it short, it is not something you want in your system.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                              Have got an Qtek 400W Dual FAN GOLD Psu on the desk, just to say it, all caps except the ones at the 3,3v rail are heavily bulged (all are JJ LOW ESR caps).
                              0,75v ripple on all rails, except 3,3v rail.
                              May be i post some pic`s in the pictured topic as well.
                              The psu is overall not that bad, at least all RFI things are there and of good quality, but heatsinks and caps are inferior. But the most anoying thing are those damn noisy unregulated 80mm fans.
                              To make it short, it is not something you want in your system.
                              You can change those noisy fans with those 'silent' fans on the market. Low RPM, although with low CFM.
                              My gaming PC:
                              AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                              ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                              PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                              G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                              TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                              WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                              ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                              Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                              Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                              Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                              Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by severach
                                20 pin ATX
                                6 molex HDD and one molex FDD connector

Input Caps: Teapo 680uf 200v

Output Caps (left to right):
                                Fuhjyyu 2200uf 16v (dark blue)
                                YEC 3300uf 10v (light blue, already desoldered, blown)
                                Teapo 1000uf 10v (light blue, inside wire bundle)
                                YEC 3300uf 10v (light blue, already desoldered, blown)
                                Teapo 3300uf 10v (brown)

The two blown YEC caps measure about 1200uf.

Big fan, big case, but small on guts. This supply isn't worth good caps so I put in a Viva 2200uf 16v and two OST 3300uf 6.3v.
                                I don't see how this PSU is small on guts. It got PFC, and more caps than a DEER or L&C power supply. I would give something like that good caps and use it in an P4 or Athlon XP machine.
                                My gaming PC:
                                AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                                ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                                PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                                G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                                TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                                WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                                ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                                Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                                Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                                Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                                Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Anybody heard of these SILVERSTONE Power Supplies?

http://www.istorya.net/forums/index....,164846.0.html
                                  CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                                  GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

I had a new Silverstone Strider 350w in here the other day. Full of Teapo's. First Silverstone I got; to check it's build quality. And the last. Having seen plenty of dead Teapo's in Dell PSU's, I'm not taking the chance any more. There are plenty of people that think Teapo's are ok in PSU's. Ok, but I hope it doesn't come back to bite you in the a**. But it probably will.

I'll stick with Seasonic from now on, thank you.
                                    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

http://www.silverstonetek.com/
                                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

I have seen some very nice PSU's in the pictorial, many thanks to all who posted their images.

Naturally, most people post about the caps used in their PSU. However i would also like to know which PWM controller is used. For the lot, that would be a tl494, but certainly the expensive models will have different controllers.

IMHO, pictures from the inside of a PSU tell a whole lot more than some fancy numbers or some user experience.

Comment

I've done 2 of these 4 fan Super Flower 550W monsters this week and am using one now. One took 4 caps, the other took 6. When the fans are on full it is noisy as hell but on auto or slow and the 2 little top fans removed it's not bad at all. On the website it's the type at the bottom of the page.
                                          http://superflower.stores.yahoo.net/psutriple.html
                                          Super Flower!
                                          And they have a "Golden Heat-sink"
                                          Last edited by shadow99; 04-15-2008, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X