This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION

The 12v is probably high due to it being group regulated and having a heavier 5v load with that duron system.

Comment

My Front fan runs slower with this PSU anyone know why?
      My Computer.
      AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
      Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
      Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
      500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
      1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
      2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Which one, the dynex or the thermaltake.

The thermaltake is probalby doing the opposite of momaka's due to being group regulated with a large 12v load, the 12v will drop. Check the 12v with a multimeter.

Comment

Its running slower on The thermaltake.

and i dont have a multimeter.
          My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

get one. really come in handy.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Sometime ill get some tools but later dont have the money for that right now.
              My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

they are cheap. saw a cheapie at a hardware store for 5 bux. basic but works for what you need.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

ok
                  My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                    What were the last few power supplies in your computer? Were they replaced because you needed more power or did they fail?

That Dynex is nice, a good recap will ensure it will be reliable. The other power supply you recently bought can either be returned or used as a backup PSU, it's your choice.
                    If you still wanted to know what one of my old PSUs was i found some pictures.

and i think this would be the first one its still got the origninal price tag on it.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Phaihn; 08-25-2009, 03:19 PM.
                    My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

SPI's are FSP.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                        SPI's are FSP.
                        Whats a FSP?
                        My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

It's a company. They also go by the names of Forton Source, Sparkle, SPI, and FSP. Their power supplies are generally very good.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                            It's a company. They also go by the names of Forton Source, Sparkle, SPI, and FSP. Their power supplies are generally very good.
                            ok.
                            My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf
                              Goldenfield's upper end units are CWT. The lower end units like the S628 appear to be Huntkey.

This is the 410:

http://big5.thethirdmedia.com/g2b.as...3300c26p1.html

Huntkey is nearly always overrated by 100W. Some of theirs can be decent. Emphasis on the words "can be."

A twist in this story develops. Though this one looks like a huntkey by the "non-existant transient filter" I pointed out earlier, that is actually where the passive pfc coil would go, but any-who, the sunpro rep for north america actually just emailed me and told me that they OEM for "HAIER, LEGEND, GOLDENFIELD, GEMBIRD" Very interesting.

Comment

I got into my hands a LC-Power LC6550G. Found pictures here so I don't have to take them

This one of mine is several years older, fixing glue is degraded but basicly it's the same inside. I am quite surprised, so far it looks much better than I thought it will. According to HK400-12AP I believe HuntKey is the actuall OEM.

It makes me feel it is originally 400 W unit, but on the other hand, so far what I found, there are two 2x10 A schottkies on +3,3 V (40 A on stick), 2x16 A fast recovery on +12 V (16 A CPU + 18 A the rest on stick). Foudn Teapo and Fcon caps (one of them has casing with print technique which is pretty much the same as on Samxon GC caps - these guys can make fakes tomorrow if they want).

Otherwise there is thermsitor-controled Xinruilian 14cm fan, I even seen some evidence suggesting there are varistors. ATX 12 V connector cables may be thicker, but overall more decent build quaility than I expected from LC-Power. Will disassemble it to have a lok at +5 V rectifier, but I believe this PSU can give arround 500 W, whaddaya think?

ADD// according to this there is single 30A schottky on +5 V - little underestimated, there should be 40 A according to stick.
                                Last edited by Behemot; 08-21-2011, 08:23 AM.
                                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

There is really only one 30A schottky. Will try to squeeze second one in there
                                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Huntkey's model number is typically 100W over the actual continuous wattage of the unit. So with a model number of HK400-12AP one can assume it's a 300W continuous.

Comment

It's definitelly better than Eurocase of the same wattage. And that can handle over 300 W real power just fine.

No, really, have a look at the components inside, I don't thing it is so bad :-)

Comment

OK it handled arround 300 W real power (OCCT) for five minutes and than 250+ W real power (World of Tanks) all night

Assusming 80 % efficiency of the original Enermax Liberty 400 W (ELT400AWT), the LC-Power one has arround 70 % under this load…well nothing amazing lol
                                        Last edited by Behemot; 08-26-2011, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Here, people don't throw much stuff away and usually when they do it's straight to the general garbage bin near their apartments so I don't lots of places to grab electronics from.

One place I do have luck from time to time is the mall about 2 miles away from me - there's a store there that has a transparent plastic bin where people can usually throw broken electronics and two other bins for batteries and light bulbs.

So I was a bit lucky when I found a crappy power supply that used to be sold around these parts about 4-5 years ago with cheap cases and two laptop chargers.

So I opened the PSU but the person that had it before me already went through it - for some reason he/she pulled out the secondary diodes and the fan... But whatever, here's the pictures:

Yeah... 350 watts my ass... notice it says LPM2-20 on the label but the PCB below says LPM2-019

No input filtering (or some, if you qualify the parts there as filtering), no bridge rectifier (not even bothering to check the A rating on the diodes), ... the primary transistors C5353 something and 07N70CP / 224091 ... secondary diodes missing.

Main transformer appears to be size 28, not even 33.

2 x 220uF 200v Fuhjyyu MK (85c rated)

No inductor on 12v ... I think a 470uF 16v on 12v, 1000uF 10v on 3.3v and 5v

Playing with the esr meter, the 200v caps measured 190/0.19 and 196/0.15 ohm

The 1000uF 10v measured 1237/0.06, 1100/0.05, 135/3 (swollen)

Three random 470/16 i pulled including the one that was on 12v measured all ok, 475 uf or so, 0.08/0.08/0.2 ... so probably that one on 12v was a bit weaker

Gonna test these two another day... might even work, who knows. Reluctant to try them without some fuse/short protection
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by mariushm; 07-23-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X