X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by domas View Post
    regarding picture 11: is it a temp sensor on a sink or is the sink grounded this way? A little blurry, can't see shit there

EDIT: oh there is a component marked TH2.. a thermistor nevermind
    Yep, indeed it is a thermistor. Cheapo PSUs will exclude that, and when the PSU overheats, well, the control circuitry keeps going ... until it blows up xD

The thermistor may actually mean the fan speed is controlled, which is a plus.
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
      Awesome Macron power supply.
      I like it too. And yay for the PowerLogic fan. Also good they provided 12.5 mm spot for what looks like the 12V rail. Many cheaper modern PSUs don't do that. One reason I love old HiPros.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        Note the MPT-5002 model. That's actually a 500W, and not a half bridge one (2TF topology). Macron do usually seem to rate their PSUs accurately. Nice save!
        Thanks You think it can do 500W??

It does have two 20A schottky's on EACH 12V rail, which is pretty impressive. (There's 8 rectifiers on that secondary heatsink!) I bet this thing is pretty efficient!

I think it's actually single forward, I think that other transistor is for the 2 transistor 5VSB. The FET is Fairchild (I'll check the model number later) It was either 14A or 16A, and it does have that nice heatsink.

When I first plugged this thing in, I heard a loud POP! I thought to myself "shit, the fuse blew!" but it kept running.....after opening it, I realized it was that Fuhjyyu cap on the 5V rail next to that big GL cap. The PSU was giving off a funny smell and the source of the smell was coming from that Fukjyyu cap.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        I like it too. And yay for the PowerLogic fan. Also good they provided 12.5 mm spot for what looks like the 12V rail. Many cheaper modern PSUs don't do that. One reason I love old HiPros.
        Yeah I love Power Logic It was very well lubricated and spins very silently. Indeed that cap slot was 12.5mm, that KY cap fit no problem.

Comment

Are those really independent rails or just 4 parallel rectifiers?
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

It has two 12V rails with each rail having two 20A schottky rectifiers in parallel

Comment

So it has two +12V transformer windings? Never seen such concept before.
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                So it has two +12V transformer windings? Never seen such concept before.
                Sounds like one winding feeding two sets of rectifiers. Each set of rectifiers has its own filtering, and goes to its own set of wires.

Comment

Never seen that either, each time they all were in parallel with each other, than after rectifying there was shunt (sometimes represented by inductor), sometimes also extra capacitor for each such rail. But I have never seen separated rails from the transformer on, always after the diodes.

Can we get some pictures of the bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                    Thanks You think it can do 500W??
                    Maybe not if its STF. I've never seen an STF topology design do more than about 400W before. I guess that doesn't mean it can't be done, though.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                      Maybe not if its STF. I've never seen an STF topology design do more than about 400W before. I guess that doesn't mean it can't be done, though.
                      This power supply was reviewed at Hardware Secrets a few years back. It is of half bridge topology and while it looks rather overspec'd otherwise it was capable of doing almost 780W with 74% efficiency. So STF doing more than 400W with enough overspec'ing (especially on the secondary side) and decent enough cooling is definitely possible.

Are you saying that you think STF isn't capable of more than half bridge is in terms of power output ability, though?

Comment

Sorry, that Macron PSU is in a computer now! I should have snapped a solder shot...

It is of half bridge topology and while it looks rather overspec'd otherwise it was capable of doing almost 780W with 74% efficiency.
                        That is amazing! That's a very well designed half bridge unit right there And it looks like it'd do 80+ up to 500W. I think they're using that exact design in all of the Kingwin ABT series power supplies, with 100% CapXon caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                          Are you saying that you think STF isn't capable of more than half bridge is in terms of power output ability, though?
                          No. I was just saying that most PSUs Ive seen which are rated for more than 350W use 2TF, while STF is usually only seen on <350W designs.

I'm not saying that it's not possible make a 500W STF unit, just that it's not common.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Hipro HP-A2307F3P

Primary caps are 2x560uF 200V Panasonic (real c: 490uF)

Every cap on that thing is Japanese. It is ridiculously overbuilt, 12V and 5V have 30A schottky rectifiers, 3.3V has 2x2200uF 10V KZE, 5V output caps are 1x4700uF 10V KZE & 1x2200uF 10V KZE and 12V has 1x2200uF 16V KZE & 1x1000uF 16V.

5vsb: 1x2200uF 10V KZE & 1x1000uF 10V
                            Attached Files

Comment

Good ol' times that will never come back again Or will they?

Comment

That Hipro looks very overbuilt indeed, though the primary heatsink appears to be finless. Its choice of capacitors and fan is much better than what you'd find in most Hipros (though most of the time they are equally overbuilt). That toroid looks like it's made of -52 material as well... given its high number of turns and size, that's nice.

Comment

Linkworld LPK9-3 300W

I was surprised to see a full input filter on that psu. Of course MOV protection is missing and the Y caps are ordinary ceramic caps.

Another thing that surprised me is the switching transistors, being ST W13009!

The primary caps are fake, their real capacitance is 300uF!!

The main transformer is capable of 250W, the 5vsb transformer is too small for 2A output...

Secondary rectifiers:
                                  20A for 3.3V
                                  20A for 12V
                                  30A for 5V

Output filter caps:
                                  5V: 1x2200uF Canicon 10V & 1x2200uF 10V Fuhjyyu TN bulging
                                  3.3V: 1x2200uF Canicon 10V & 1x2200uF 10V Fuhjyyu TN bulging
                                  12V: 1x2200uF 16V SEK Teapo

5vsb: 1x1000uF 10V Canicon & 1x470uF 16V Fuhjyyu TN

What do you think?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

^
                                    That kind of thing goes in the hall of shame.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                      Linkworld LPK9-3 300W

I was surprised to see a full input filter on that psu. Of course MOV protection is missing and the Y caps are ordinary ceramic caps.

Another thing that surprised me is the switching transistors, being ST W13009!

The primary caps are fake, their real capacitance is 300uF!!
                                      All the caps are fake, as far as I'm concerned!

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                      The main transformer is capable of 250W, the 5vsb transformer is too small for 2A output...

Secondary rectifiers:
                                      20A for 3.3V
                                      20A for 12V
                                      30A for 5V

Output filter caps:
                                      5V: 1x2200uF Canicon 10V & 1x2200uF 10V Fuhjyyu TN bulging
                                      3.3V: 1x2200uF Canicon 10V & 1x2200uF 10V Fuhjyyu TN bulging
                                      12V: 1x2200uF 16V SEK Teapo

5vsb: 1x1000uF 10V Canicon & 1x470uF 16V Fuhjyyu TN

What do you think?
                                      Use it at ~250W or less, after a recap. If you even want to bother.

I had one of these, and a silly GSC'd Albatron board. I was junking them in a few days anyway, so why not play a little?

System was a 1.3GHz duron, 512MB(?) DDR266, Nvidia GF4(?)/64MB with TV out.

I figured I'd do a little burn-in with DNMP in a demo-loop, and an extra 80W or so of halogen bulbs on the +12 output. After about 15 minutes, there was the "hot transformer" smell.

That was about eight years ago, and I think it was the (undersized) output inductor cooking, not the SMPS transformer.

Rather amusing how it tried its best. No, I didn't run it 'til it blew up, since I wanted parts from the power supply.
                                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                      Originally posted by shango066
                                      All style and no substance.
                                      Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                        Good ol' times that will never come back again Or will they?
                                        Leaded solder and SMD-less bottom sides?
                                        I doubt it.

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
                                        What do you think?
                                        It's not bad. I like that it has plenty of space on the secondary side for the caps to breathe (but I guess that still wasn't good enough for those Fuhjyyus). The heat sinks aren't too bad either. Just spread out the fins further apart, and the heat sink will actually become decent.

On the negative side - 2-transistor 5VSB circuit. I don't see any critical caps in that design, though, so it may be one of the "better" 2-transistor designs.

And yeah the MK input caps are trash.

Comment

Linkworld definitely used to be better. It has TO-247 13009's, an okay-ish transformer, and good size PI coils, bridge rectifier and good heatsinks considering that fan will probably always be running full boar. Good looking secondary silicon, on 230V it may be able to do 300W

Comment

Working...
                                          X