This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Here are two old PC AT units I've stashed long ago.

United Electronics 200
    Looks very noname on the outside but well built, very different from a usual PC psu. It has parts and circuitry that you rather find in a tv .
    I had to replace the original primary caps since ones leg completely broke off for some reason. Those were 220uF 250V Samsung caps. It even had a warning label on them which I put back.

Young Year IBP-200-D

The 200W rating is very humble.
    2x2SC3320 primary NPN
    2x680uF caps
    Huge trafo, similar to EI-39
    S30C60; F12C20 diodes
    Secondary caps: 2x2200uF 10V for 5V; 2200uf 25V for 12V
    Attached Files

Comment

Autec UPS61-1004-T (2000 manufacture date) from an early generation TiVo.

Hitachi HP3 220uF 400V primary unit.
      2200uF 16V Chemi-Con LXJ before +12V and +5V output inductors with 1000uF 16V after these output inductors.
      2200uF 16V Chemi-Con LXJ before and after +3.3V inductor.
      All other electrolytic capacitors are Chemi-Con SME and KME series units.
      SSS7N60A primary MOSFET and YG802C04 rectifier for +3.3V rail with UF1002 rectifiers for +5V and +12V rails.
      Attached Files
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Flyback design, nice heavy metal, good caps (LXJ might have been UCC's best low impedance series back in 2000). The two datecodes I spotted indicate the P/S was manufactured in the second half of 2000.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I haven't been on this forum for a long time.

So, I think I'll contribute this Enlight (High-Power) HPC-250-101. Caps are all United Chemicon. Bridge rectifier and input filter. This is nothing more than an AT stlye power supply with a 5Vsb rail and no connected power switch (thats what the circuit board on top of the heatsinks does.)

Connectors are a little sparse, 20 pin ATX, 4 big molex, and 2 floppy.

Attached Files

Comment

The pic is pretty blurry. Given the power level and 20-connector, I'd guess it's ca. 2000. If the +5V Stby is 2A or lower, maybe 1998 or 1999. Looks like the big I/P lytics are 85C parts. I think the switch devices are in TO-247 packages (and one O/P rectifier is in a TO-3P package, I think), and I think I see a large DC-blocking film cap behind the switch device heatsink, so it's probably a half-bridge topology using bipolar transistors. If a BJT half bridge, probably implemented with a TL494 type PWM and -26 material O/P inductor core(s) (mostly yellow with one side painted white).
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

The date code indicates the 46th week of 1998. I know the picture is blurry because it was taken with a crappy webcam and I didn't have a steady hold on it.

Comment

Really? That Sirtec has all UCC (mind if I ask what series you found in there; LXJ possibly on the output and maybe SMH on the input, and KME or KMA for the tiny capacitors?) The Sirtecs I've seen from later build dates have either Teapo, G-Luxon, or worse on the output but sometimes Rubycons on the input. Also, are the BJTs 2SC2625s (they look like TO-3P parts to me which is why I ask)?
                Last edited by Wester547; 11-16-2013, 06:29 PM.

Comment

The primaries are SMH, secondaries are SXE, LXF. Now that I look further into it, I did notice a few Rubycons hidden behind the wires.
                  Last edited by ncovert; 11-16-2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

This is another power supply that came with a 20-25$ computer case.

I only bought this case to build a system that would allow me to diagnose and fix agp video cards and older motherboards, so I didn't care about the power supply quality.

BUT, since I have to fix my sister's computers (kzg caps on asus motherboard swollen, see this post if you care: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=490 ) and the power supply in that system has a dying whining fan, I figured I could just transplant this psu in her system.

So with this occasion, I opened it up to get some pictures and see the quality.

Deluxe 450w
                    In theory as the label says 5v @ 36a , 12v @ 19a , 3.3v @ 31a.
                    In practice, two SB2045CT (20 A, 45v, so probably on 5v and 12v), one 16FO20 which I hope it's on 3.3v (16A , 20v) But it could be 3.3v and 5v heavy (20a) and just 16a on 12v. For the system it's gonna power, it doesn't matter anyway.

later edit : looking now at the pictures I made and the color of the cables, it does seem like 12v is in the center, with that 16F020 on 12v, the one at the bottom goes to the 3.3v rails and the one at the top seems to be for 5v.

Primary has 13007 transistors, weak EI-33 transformer so I guess it could do up to about 200w maybe. Probably 1A rectifier diodes... barely any AC filtering.

ZkiCheng 470uF 200v primary capacitors - esr meter shows 320uF 0.11-0.2 ohm.. snapped picture right when display refreshed screen but you can see the value if you squint.

Secondary side is Nicon , BH, KME .. 1000uF or less, maybe 1500uF on 5vsb, didn't bother to check the ESR, can't expect much and honestly don't care on such cheap psu.

It will work fine on my sister's pc (xp 3000+ 1gb ddr1 some ati agp card, 2 hdds and cdrw).

Pictures below:

Attached Files
                    Last edited by mariushm; 11-24-2013, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Here's the pictures that were supposed to be attached to the post above:

Attached Files

Comment

And here's the shitty power supply that the power supply above is gonna replace.
                        This one in theory still works but I'm a bit concerned about the 12.5v output. After opening it up, I realize it's actually worse than the above power supply.

Just some Y caps that I doubt they're safety rated on the primary side,
                        puny rectifier diodes good for probably 1A each,
                        330uf/200v YC brand capacitors that in reality are 216 uF each (and about 0.15 ohm esr not that it matters here)
                        didn't bother to write down the mosfet/transistors on primary, i though they can be read from pictures... can't be bothered to open it again
                        ei-33 (in theory) transformer

SBL1640CT (16a/40v max) schottky on 5v, SBL1040CT (10a, 40v) or 3.3v, two big diode treatment on 12v (who knows, maybe 4-6 amps? )
                        Some YC caps on secondary side, some Su'scon (probably on 5v and 3.3v) , I think maybe a G-Luxon on 12v? 470uf/16 on -5v , 1000uf/16 otherwise as far as i can see
                        no secondary side inductors in sight, just a couple of minimum load resistors (3.3v and -5v?)

Weak, really weak...

Attached Files

Comment

I think that Premier PSU belongs in the gutless PSU thread.
                          It's actually not that bad of a design once you put all of the components and proper parts in it. But then again, that's about half-way from building a low-powered PSU from scratch.

Comment

At least the Delux has okayish heatsinks, and room to add some PI coils. That would be a fun one to fix up to turn into a good 200W PSU. Zhi Cheng, don't see those very often. Cool!!

I'm surprised at how much heat those old L&C's can endure. That, or their PCB's just change colors really easily. That thing is pitiful! it looks just like my "Everest" PSU.

Check out c_Hegge's review: http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/simba...supply-review/

A slightly more modern one with brand new caps. Imagine how bad the ripple would be with those worn out caps!!

Comment

I'd say the new one is, realistically, 200-225W based on the not-too-heavy metal (as well as the things mariushm pointed out). The old one, maybe 175-200W, due to the kludged ("bodged" in UK slanguage) dual diode on the O/P (+12V?). The new one has what appears to be real Y caps (i.e. safety agency approved). Both look to be TL494-controlled (or clone-) half bridges running at under 50KHz (based on the O/P inductor cores).
                              PeteS in CA

Comment

Casing Macron MPT-4012

Looks like a dual 12V rail unit, and the 12V is not actually much weaker than the 5V. At least that's what the label says

That's two coils, two X-Caps and two Y-Caps just on the AC receptacle...

... and another coil and two MOVs on the main PCB. The primary caps are 1000uF Fuhjyyu.

Looks fairly well built methinks. I see some chunky heat sinks and a decent sized transformer. It's a 2TF as well, not half bridge. It should do the labelled 400W no problem.

Erm, yeah. That's a problem. The caps are all GoldLink or G-Luxon, and they are are only GP caps. No wonder they failed. I'll recap it when I get some more caps in. Silicon is a pair of 20A schottkys on the 12V, a pair of 30A schottkys on the 5V and a single 30A on the 3.3V. It's genuinely a dual 12V rail too. I see two OCP shunts and a controller that supports OCP.

The fan is a Power Logic, although it's only a 1B1S bearing, not a 2BB. I gave the bearings some more lubricant, as there wasn't much in there.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by c_hegge; 11-26-2013, 10:43 PM.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Winsis KY-550ATX

Best Sun Pro PSU I've personally seen. 140mm Te Bao fan that needs oil.

I bet it'd be good for over 400W at least! Pretty good input filter. Spots for MOV's but none there, may add some. 8A bridge, 820uF input caps.

TO-247 Switchers on the primary heatsink are D4515's, rated for 15A!

39 Transformer, 12V = two 20A ultra fasts in parallel, 5V = two 30A schottky's in parallel, 3.3V = single 40A schottky. I just wish the 12V rectifiers were more powerful, I may upgrade them.

To give you an idea of the size of the toroids, that tallest JEE cap is 30mm. It even has a PI filter for the -5V and -12V

No PCI-E connectors but I may add at least one. Besides the CS input caps, the rest are JEE (Plus one lonely GoldLink cap) Soldering is messy but at least they cut the leads pretty short.

What do you guys think?
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                    Casing Macron MPT-4012
                                    Nice PSU!!! I love Macron I'm glad you decided you want to recap it, it'd be a shame to toss. I'd trust it for 400W (With fresh caps of course) would you leave the Fuhjyyu on the voltage doubler? How many Amps were the FET's? And I'm surprised that Power Logic fan wasn't well lubricated, usually they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                      Best Sun Pro PSU I've personally seen.
                                      [snip]
                                      What do you guys think?
                                      Not bad at all for a Sun Pro. 400W shouldn't be much of a problem. I'd recap it though. JEE caps are absolutely awful

Nice PSU!!! I love Macron I'm glad you decided you want to recap it, it'd be a shame to toss. I'd trust it for 400W (With fresh caps of course) would you leave the Fuhjyyu on the voltage doubler? How many Amps were the FET's? And I'm surprised that Power Logic fan wasn't well lubricated, usually they are.
                                      I'll leave the primary caps alone. Even Fuhjyyu seem to do OK there. The switchers are Fuji 2SK2765s, which are 7A parts. It's a little low, but I'm hoping that with the decent heat sinking, they might just do 400W OK, as they are TO-3P size. There was some oil in the fan (unlike some *cough* ADDA), but just not as much as there could have been. I'll probably use a different fan on it anyway, though. The Power Logic has clear blades and space in the housing and PCB pads for some nice blue LEDs, so it would look good as a case fan.
                                      Last edited by c_hegge; 11-26-2013, 11:58 PM. Reason: Got posted under
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Not bad at all for a Sun Pro. 400W shouldn't be much of a problem. I'd recap it though. JEE caps are absolutely awful
                                        Oh, absolutely. JEE caps are garbage, I think they're worse than Fuhjyyu and on the same level as Rulycon

Comment

Silicon is a pair of 20A schottkys on the 12V, a pair of 30A schottkys on the 5V and a single 30A on the 3.3V. It's genuinely a dual 12V rail too. I see two OCP shunts and a controller that supports OCP.
                                          Nice Macron!
                                          I'm guessing the 12V rectifiers are not in parallel, though. Would have been nice if there really were two totally separate 12V rails. Then the thing could probably do 20A on each (provided the transformer and primary could handle that). Of course, you'd need two sets of filters for the 12V rails, and that takes a lot more space.

Best Sun Pro PSU I've personally seen.

Wait, am I awake? Is that really a Sun Pro worth keeping!?
                                          Indeed it does seem like the best Sun Pro I've ever seen too. The cap selection may be horrible, but the rest of the PSU looks clean and well-built. And look at that - the PCB is connected to the AC line with a proper connector! You also have a proper ceramic fuse. For $6, it's quite a worthy PSU.

Now I don't know if it will really do it's rated 450W rating. With those heat sinks, I'm more inclined to think around 350W continuous is where it will top out. Possibly peak at 400W for a little bit. I just don't quite trust Sun Pro designs. But at least the individual current ratings for each rail seem quite fairly rated.
                                          Another thing I'm going to pick on is the trace spacing on the primary side of the PCB - it really is too small. Seems like many Sun Pro PSU are like this. Also, I only see 1 cap spot for 12V rail. I would have expected 2 (keep in mind that I am spoiled, though, by HiPro PSUs with multi-12.5 mm cap spots ).

I'll leave the primary caps alone. Even Fuhjyyu seem to do OK there.
                                          Yeah Fuhjyyu primary caps are not that bad at all. The ones in my Macron PSU are still good with capacitance in spec. And that thing is old.
                                          Last edited by momaka; 11-27-2013, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X