X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
    Is it the one with the green label? If so... i'd throw it away. It has a cheap fan that will wear out and no protection circuitry. Depending on your luck, it'll either fail gracefully due to capacitors gone bad, or it'll melt a trace and blow up everything connected to +5V and +3.3v.

Not fun. Seen one where the 12v went open circuit, and 5v went to 8.3v, 3.3v to 7.5v. Needless to say the motherboard and the hard drives didn't make it.
    Both PSUs have their fans changed.My 450W PSU uses a Titan fan from a Socket 462 HSF,because the stock fan on it was on its last legs.

On the 400W I made a mistake:the caps are not CapXon.They're Seacon.

Otherwise,I'm real glad I scrapped the PCB in a Codegen 350W PSU.The case was handy for my Delux 400W PSU.Again,it sees just 2-3 hours of use which is a very light use.Also,most of the hardware it powers isn't consuming more than probably 100W.
    This PSU seems to still hold strong,even if the wires on the fan controller broke. (they were 2 wires,1 red 1 black,that were attached to a header on the PCB)Wasn't a big problem,I attached the fan to a 4 pin connector (not the square 12V one,the usual HDD/CDROM plug)and now it works the same as before.

The 450W one has enough cooling to run fine.It runs since 2008,so it's pretty old.(6 years)
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Saw this on a Deepcool power supply review (an old CWT probably GPA design) :

More pictures here: http://www.chinadiy.com.cn/html/15/n-12915-5.html

Comment

Not a good look there at all, especially with the controller IC. It is CWT, though, so I'm not really surprised.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Mean Well DRP-240-24

1500uF 35V (x2) Chemi-Con KY on output with 47uF 63V Rubycon YXG after final filter chokes.
          220uF 450V Rubycon MXR primary unit.
          Four other electrolytics (100uF and below) are CapXon KM Series.

IRFP460A PFC stage with HFA15TB60 PFC rectifier and 2SK2082 primary switcher, all protected with thermal overload switch.
          KBJ608G primary side rectifier with ESAD92-02 secondary side output rectifier.
          Fairchild ML4800CP PFC/PWM controller.
          Attached Files
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
            Mean Well DRP-240-24

1500uF 35V (x2) Chemi-Con KY on output with 47uF 63V Rubycon YXG after final filter chokes.
            220uF 450V Rubycon MXR primary unit.
            Four other electrolytics (100uF and below) are CapXon KM Series.

IRFP460A PFC stage with HFA15TB60 PFC rectifier and 2SK2082 primary switcher, all protected with thermal overload switch.
            KBJ608G primary side rectifier with ESAD92-02 secondary side output rectifier.
            Fairchild ML4800CP PFC/PWM controller.
            They sure know what they are doing.

I have seen pics of other meanwell PSU's that use CapXon capacitors, it seems they have a little addiction to them! :P
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
              They sure know what they are doing.

I have seen pics of other meanwell PSU's that use CapXon capacitors, it seems they have a little addiction to them! :P
              Maybe they just can't afford better ones, but they Mean Well.

Comment

Dynex DX-400WPS

Huntkey "400W" Maybe peak, but I doubt continuously. Although, the fan runs at 100% all the time so it does run really cool. Main toroid seems small though.

8A bridge, J13009's (TO-247), Jianghai 680uF 220V input caps, and they actually tested 680uF!! At least the 13009's get that beefy heatsink to themselves, although it'd be nice to see more fins on it instead of just a block of metal. Transformers look good...

40A schottky on the 5V and 3.3V. 12V has two 20A schottky rectifiers, and the 12V wires are separated. I don't see OCP shunts, so does this mean that the OCP is just built into that SG6105?

Recapped the thing, looks good now! Only one Fcon cap was out of spec, and it was the one before the coil on the 5V, and it was touching the main toroid
                Attached Files

Comment

Not a bad unit. No, the SG6105 doesn't support OCP. That is a single rail unit.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I think I see a green thermal sensor in the fifth image. Are you sure the fan runs at +12V all the time?

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                      Not a bad unit. No, the SG6105 doesn't support OCP. That is a single rail unit.
                      Oh, I could have sworn it did. Doesn't bug me that it's a single rail unit. It could probably output 30A on the 12V if the switchers could handle it.
                      Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                      I think I see a green thermal sensor in the fifth image. Are you sure the fan runs at +12V all the time?
                      You're right, there is one down there, but the fan always runs really fast and loud, maybe the thermal fan control was just poorly implemented.

Comment

^

It supports OPP, but no OCP

Comment

Okay, that's what I was thinking of. I did notice though that the 12V wires for the CPU P4 connector measured 12.08V, and all the other 12V wires on 24 pin connector, molex, and Pci-e all read 12.18V

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4
                            You're right, there is one down there, but the fan always runs really fast and loud, maybe the thermal fan control was just poorly implemented.
                            Could the fan be running out of lubricant if you didn't lube it already (if that's why it's loud, just a guess... does it spin for long after you cut power to it)?
                            Last edited by Wester547; 04-17-2014, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Since it's Xinruilian, I checked it before I even recapped it. It was bone dry, so I oiled it. It spins well. It's not loud as in dying bearing, it's loud as in high RPM

Comment

Maybe the thermistor is for over temperature protection, not for fan controller

Comment

We've had to throw out a bunch of old PC component at work. I saved this HIPRO psu. It was in an AST server that was just collecting dust in the past 15 years. It has plety of peripheral connectors. It's an epic overbuilt unit compared to simple AT psus. Has some extra circuitry for standby power and other signal outputs also.
                                  Funny that capacitors range from Rubycon to Teapo, Crown and Jamicon...
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
                                    We've had to throw out a bunch of old PC component at work. I saved this HIPRO psu. It was in an AST server that was just collecting dust in the past 15 years. It has plety of peripheral connectors. It's an epic overbuilt unit compared to simple AT psus. Has some extra circuitry for standby power and other signal outputs also.
                                    In the final picture,why there are 2 P7 connectors?I see it's a AT PSU,but I don't really think a motherboard would require so much power.Also,300W and AT connectors,that's worth saving.BTW,what's that fan-style header for?I looked at picture 5 and it's connected to a board on the PSU,not to the fan itself.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                      In the final picture,why there are 2 P7 connectors?I see it's a AT PSU,but I don't really think a motherboard would require so much power.Also,300W and AT connectors,that's worth saving.BTW,what's that fan-style header for?I looked at picture 5 and it's connected to a board on the PSU,not to the fan itself.
                                      The third connector is an extra 5 volt supply to the mobo (which wasn't in the tower case for a long time so we don't know the exact model). That green-black-black-red was going to the mobo too. A micro remote switch could turn on the psu similar to an ATX ps_on-gnd short.

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
                                        That green "A" cap (the 2200uF one) looks ripe for blowing up.. doesn't appear to have a vent on the top!
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Awww, man! I want that green cap! That would be awesome in a fire with no vent stamp.

Comment

Working...
                                          X