This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Big explosion! That's an "Ark" cap, correct?

Comment

Now that's interesting. There is a circular shape punched into to top of the cap but its not deep at all. I'll take out for an examination when I'll have the time. The psu works btw and voltages are stable so the caps can't be that worn.

Comment

They could still be worn. I've seen an Antec SmartPower where 90% of the Fuhjyyu caps were way out of spec, and all the voltages looked fine while the PSU was running

Comment

Indeed, on a slow digital multimeter you won't typically notice problems. On an analogue meter you may see the needle shake if there are high levels of ripple.

But the way to check the ripple and noise properly is with an oscilloscope.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Old HiPro PSUs never fail to amaze me with their built quality. This one is no exception. Good save!

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Old HiPro PSUs never fail to amaze me with their built quality. This one is no exception. Good save!
              What can I say? They're some of my favorites.

Hipros, even with tired caps, are still better than a thousand "dead deer."

After new Nichicon or Panasonic caps, they're excellent.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Vantec VAN-350

I saw this Vantec power supply sitting in the used pile at the local computer recycling center, for $8. Once I glanced through the grille and saw the Power Logic logo and Fuhjyyu caps, I figured it could only be...Macron!

It looks like a beefed up MPT-301. It's definitely overbuilt for 350W.
                Full input filter (with a nice MOV), 8A bridge, 1000uF input caps, huge for 350W! Must have great hold up time. Switchers are Fuji Electric 2SC3320's rated for 15A. 5V has two 40A schottkys, 12V has two 16A ultra fasts in parallel, 3.3V has single 40A schottky. Besides a few blobs, the soldering looks pretty good. Surprisingly, none of the caps are bulging, they may be out of spec though. TL494 and LM339N IC's. Nicely sleeved cables. Besides new caps, all it really needs is maybe a 12V silicon upgrade, and a 4 pin addition to make the motherboard connector 24 pin
                Attached Files

Comment

Re: Vantec VAN-350

Yay, a Macron! That's another favorite of mine. This particular design is very solid. It's simple, but a workhorse nonetheless (with good caps). I see they used the white glue on yours. The regular MPT-301 usually use the tan crap.

Just watch out for those loading resistors on the output. I see a 10 Ohmmer near the 3.3V caps. There's probably a 24 Ohm in heatshring tubing on the 5V rail. I suggest moving the 24 Ohm to the 3.3V rail, and installing a 50 or 100 Ohm on the 5V rail. The 12V rail doesn't really need one if it will be used in a 12V-based system. IIRC, there may have been loading resistors between -5V raild and 12V rail and -12V rail and 12V rail. But anything dissipating over 0.5W should be changed, IMO.

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                  I saw this Vantec power supply sitting in the used pile at the local computer recycling center, for $8.
                  Nice!
                  Micro Center used to sell used OEM PSUs for $5, but they stopped now for some reason (maybe out of stock). I was always tempted to buy one each time I went there, but never did. Saw many HiPros, Deltas, and Lite-ONs. Kind of wish I did now. Last time I saw an older 250W Newton geared towards a 5V-based system. Looking through the grilles, it was packed full of UCC and Rubycon caps. Only downside was 2-transistor 5VSB and the 5VSB transistor was free-standing (no heatsink). I should have still gotten it, though.

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                  Once I glanced through the grille and saw the Power Logic logo and Fuhjyyu caps, I figured it could only be...Macron!
                  Also that "AMD INTEL ATX12V TEST PASS" sticker.
                  Great find! One computer will be very lucky to have this.

Comment

Yay, a Macron! That's another favorite of mine.
                    I like them too, besides caps, they make some really quality units.

Yeah I'll change around the resistors, I have some 100Ω ones sitting in my stash just in case. I haven't run into any issues yet by removing just the 12V dummy resistor.

Nice!
                    Micro Center used to sell used OEM PSUs for $5, but they stopped now for some reason (maybe out of stock). I was always tempted to buy one each time I went there, but never did. Saw many HiPros, Deltas, and Lite-ONs. Kind of wish I did now. Last time I saw an older 250W Newton geared towards a 5V-based system. Looking through the grilles, it was packed full of UCC and Rubycon caps. Only downside was 2-transistor 5VSB and the 5VSB transistor was free-standing (no heatsink). I should have still gotten it, though.
                    Only $5?! Definitely should have grabbed a few A lot of people assume OEM PSU's are crap, just because they were OEM, or they saw one once in a branded computer they didn't like (such as HP).

i know that it's preferable to use an IC for 5VSB, and if not, to have the transistor on a heatsink, but I've noticed some two transistor designs are a lot more efficient than others. The old Deer ones were really bad.
                    Also that "AMD INTEL ATX12V TEST PASS" sticker.
                    Great find! One computer will be very lucky to have this.
                    Haha, yes that too! They always seem to have that sticker. As if the PSU cares what CPU it's powering

Comment

I also come across these Macron psus from time to time. The non standard wire colors is a trait of them. Those MPT-30xxx and 40xxx units with the atx98xxx patform lack the Pi coil on both 5V and 12V rail. Atx9912 has full pi-filter on the 12V, but that's all.
                      I noticed that the MPT-5012p has at least 6 revisions. Changing or adding some componet position for some impovement... probably.
                      It's the last from their ppfc design. I have some stashed just in case someone needs a spare psu.

I took some esr readings on that cap with no vent from the AT HIPRO. It doesn't seem to be leaky or out of juice. The psu runs the fan at 12V always, not temperature controlled, very loud. Also that server worked in a comfy 20C enviroment.
                      Attached Files

Comment

a question.

has anybbody seen a psu with a 120+mm fan that's half blocked intentionally so all the flow goes to the front of the psu where the heatsinks are?

i just got one - it's really strange to see!
                        (EZcool 650w - yea right!)

Comment

Most of modern psus with 120+mm fans do that with a plastic sheet.

Comment

yep, plastic sheet screwed&glued.
                            first one iv seen though.
                            pointless given the fan even at 12v was silent and almost flowless.
                            and very blue - atleast the leds worked!
                            i replaced it with a max 94cfm thermally-controlled Delta i had spare!

Comment

Those MPT-30xxx and 40xxx units with the atx98xxx patform lack the Pi coil on both 5V and 12V rail.
                              That's true. I bet they could do ripple in spec, although it would be nice to have the PI coils
                              yep, plastic sheet screwed&glued.
                              first one iv seen though.
                              pointless given the fan even at 12v was silent and almost flowless.
                              and very blue - atleast the leds worked!
                              i replaced it with a max 94cfm thermally-controlled Delta i had spare!
                              Those seem to be fairly common. Care to share some pics?

Comment

i'll pull the case open later & let loose with the cam.
                                i was going to share anyway incase someone can id the actual make.

Comment

o.k. you asked for it!
                                  this really is a pile of crap.

primary caps are 1000uf 200v "Fhy" brand.
                                  it uses passive PFC (it's under a year old!!!)

bridge rectifier is kbl406
                                  primary transistors are wi3009-0 in to247 large package.

controller ic is az7500bp

secondary caps are "chengx"

this "thing" claims the following spec.
                                  3.3v 38a
                                  5v 40a
                                  12v(1) 20a
                                  12v(2) 20a
                                  -12v 800ma < probably the only honest value!
                                  5v-standby 3a

total 650w

the standby circuit looks like it's just a fet driven transformer with opto-isolator feedback.

about the foto's - that's NOT the original fan.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

The plastic is there to direct the air flow towards a region of the power supply and cool it better.
                                    Without it, a large volume of the air would just get out directly through the grill in the back of the power supply and on the other side you'd get some points where air would be "stuck" in place and not move through the case properly.

Comment

i understand that,
                                      but just blocking the airflow is a waste of energy, if it was angled at 45' instead of 90' it would put a lot more air into the target.

Comment

Looks like a decent PSU after some new caps. I'm not sure who the OEM is but it looks similar to this "Shaw" PSU that c_hegge reviewed: http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/the-2...ply-roundup/4/ I bet those Fhy caps are ~680uF
                                        Last edited by Pentium4; 04-25-2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

It looks like a 350 watt psu, maybe able to do 400W not for a long period of time.

It is important to test the primary caps real capacitance and check secondary rectifiers ratings.

Comment

Working...
                                          X