Gateway 24" LCD Model LP2407

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway 24" LCD Model LP2407

Here is a slightly updated list I just ordered based on current availability:
    Code:
    Index	Quantity	Part Number	Manufacturer Part Number	Description	Customer Reference	Backorder Quantity	Unit Price
    USD	Extended Price
    USD
    1	1	493-1829-ND	UPW1E681MPD	CAP 680UF 25V ELECT PW RADIAL		0	0.63000	$0.63
    2	1	493-1826-ND	UPW1E471MPD	CAP 470UF 25V ELECT PW RADIAL		0	0.67000	$0.67
    3	1	493-3288-ND	UTS1H470MPD	CAP ELECT 47UF 50V HIREL RADIAL		0	0.47000	$0.47
    4	4	P12353-ND	EEU-FM1A102	CAP 1000UF 10V ELECT FM RADIAL		0	0.50000	$2.00
    5	1	565-1598-ND	EKY-500ELL100ME11D	CAP 10UF 50V ELECT KY RAD		0	0.26000	$0.26
    6	3	565-1694-ND	EKZE350ELL471MJ20S	CAP 470UF 35V ELECT KZE RAD		0	0.58000	$1.74
    7	1	P13121-ND	EEU-EB1E102	CAP 1000UF 25V ELECT EB RADIAL		0	0.80000	$0.80
    	Subtotal	$6.57
    	Shipping	unknown
    	Estimated Sales Tax	$0.50
    	Total	unknown

Comment

Great Info! I am going to tackle this shortly! I have one monitor that does not work that I have torn apart and has some bulging capacitors and I am sure the one I am using will have the same problem soon enough. So I will just double my order and fix them both!

Comment

This thread has been a great resource, I started having this problem with my FPD2485W where the backlight would not stay on after sleep/hibernation. Turning on the power would show the Gateway splash for 3-4 seconds and then it would flicker off again. Only way to get the backlight lamp to stay lit was just to keep turning it on and off...

So it sounds like its the capacitors from the power source, this list below was a great help as I just added the part #s verbatim. The only one I wasn't able to find in stock was:
        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...73077492694666

just wanted to see if its OK to use this instead:
        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...66-ND&x=8&y=22

I'm pretty handy with computers but really have no clue when it comes to home electronics repair. Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by rcobourn
        Here is a slightly updated list I just ordered based on current availability:
        Code:
        Index	Quantity	Part Number	Manufacturer Part Number	Description	Customer Reference	Backorder Quantity	Unit Price
        USD	Extended Price
        USD
        1	1	493-1829-ND	UPW1E681MPD	CAP 680UF 25V ELECT PW RADIAL		0	0.63000	$0.63
        2	1	493-1826-ND	UPW1E471MPD	CAP 470UF 25V ELECT PW RADIAL		0	0.67000	$0.67
        3	1	493-3288-ND	UTS1H470MPD	CAP ELECT 47UF 50V HIREL RADIAL		0	0.47000	$0.47
        4	4	P12353-ND	EEU-FM1A102	CAP 1000UF 10V ELECT FM RADIAL		0	0.50000	$2.00
        5	1	565-1598-ND	EKY-500ELL100ME11D	CAP 10UF 50V ELECT KY RAD		0	0.26000	$0.26
        6	3	565-1694-ND	EKZE350ELL471MJ20S	CAP 470UF 35V ELECT KZE RAD		0	0.58000	$1.74
        7	1	P13121-ND	EEU-EB1E102	CAP 1000UF 25V ELECT EB RADIAL		0	0.80000	$0.80
        	Subtotal	$6.57
        	Shipping	unknown
        	Estimated Sales Tax	$0.50
        	Total	unknown

Comment

Originally posted by chizow
          The only one I wasn't able to find in stock was:
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...73077492694666

just wanted to see if its OK to use this instead:
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...66-ND&x=8&y=22
          Are you sure you have the right part? The link you posted shows a 0.47uF cap while the cap you couldn't find is a 47uF. EB is also only general purpose 105C cap.
          These should be better replacements:
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1896-ND
          http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-2004-ND

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
            Are you sure you have the right part? The link you posted shows a 0.47uF cap while the cap you couldn't find is a 47uF. EB is also only general purpose 105C cap.
            These should be better replacements:
            http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1896-ND
            http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-2004-ND
            D'oh, looks as if you're right, it was late when I placed the order and I think at least one of those was in my cart at one point, but the dimensions were wrong so I removed it. Oh well, I guess that cap 47uF cap isn't getting replaced. Thanks!

Comment

lol just checked back on this tread good to see other ppl are using it hope you all get your monitors up and running again I had to wait like a week for digikey to get all the caps in for mine.

Comment

Just wanted to update, but I did get around to attempting this on Saturday....and SUCCESS!!!!

Ordered from DigiKey on 4/20 and got all the caps in Thursday or Friday. Spent a few hours familiarizing myself with how to desolder caps and solder new ones. I picked up a desoldering plunger and iron stand and went to work.

Overall the hardest part of it all was removing the back cover....there's 3-4 tabs/clips on each side and its a real pain to get them all off without damaging the bezel.

As for the actual soldering portion, the hardest part was desoldering the caps and getting off all the old solder. The plunger worked OK for getting most of it off, but the little bit of solder that lingered inside the pad's hole was harder to get off. Maybe some solder wick would be better for that last little bit.

Keeping the iron tinned was also pretty difficult for me, I guess that comes with experience but it was obvious when the iron was transferring heat well as the old solder melted much faster. Maybe a better iron would've helped here too, idk. Once I cleared enough of the solder I just used a pair of pliers to pull out each cap.

Soldering the new caps was actually the easiest part of the entire process for me. Each joint went off very smoothly and just like the various videos I saw, with a well-tinned iron, just heat up the pad and tail, then apply the solder to the pad and not the iron. The solder flowed freely after that and formed a little bubble over the pad.

Here's the end result, very proud of my effort for a first time soldering newbie, thanks again to everyone in this thread, especially the ones that posted the actual part #s and part lists from Digi-Key!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chizow
                  Just wanted to update, but I did get around to attempting this on Saturday....and SUCCESS!!!!
                  Congrats and well done!!

You might want to put on your flame-resistant suit though for posting that humongous picture in-line instead of using the forum guidelines.

Comment

D'oh, sorry about that.....can't seem to edit my post, if a Mod can do it that'd be great.

Attached resized image below.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread, great information.

I have a LP2407 monitor that is having issues and I want to look at the caps. I've re-capped quite a few monitors (thanks to the information provided by people in this forum), but I'm having a difficult time figuring out an easy way to take this apart.

I see the screws at the bottom of the back cover, looks like a button on each side at the bottom also where you might have to depress them to release it? Can someone do a quick description of what is needed to remove the back cover please? It is probably real simple, but it has me stumped for whatever reason.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jlmorris
                        Thanks to all that contributed to this thread, great information.

I have a LP2407 monitor that is having issues and I want to look at the caps. I've re-capped quite a few monitors (thanks to the information provided by people in this forum), but I'm having a difficult time figuring out an easy way to take this apart.

I see the screws at the bottom of the back cover, looks like a button on each side at the bottom also where you might have to depress them to release it? Can someone do a quick description of what is needed to remove the back cover please? It is probably real simple, but it has me stumped for whatever reason.

Thank you.
                        Gateway FPD2485W thread post #11 describes the basic steps. Essentially there are tabs on all sides, so using something small and flat works best: a putty knife, credit card, small flathead screwdriver have all been suggested and used successfully. Like Tom says, start on the side that doesn't have the power button since there's a fragile ribbon cable on that side.

Comment

Yep the post Wrog linked is very helpful, I'm pretty sure I used that one as well to get me started.

Separating the clips takes quite a bit of force and requires a tool maybe ~1" inserted that can provide enough leverage to separate the front and back ~1/4" to 1/2" before the clips detach. A putty knife or spudger would probably work best. Credit card is OK to get the initial separation but doesn't provide nearly enough leverage to actually separate the clips from my experience.

I ended up doing quite a bit of damage to the bottom bezel with screwdrivers but once you get one or two clips off its much easier from there. As Wrog stated, start on the opposite end of the front control panel at the bottom corner. When you're working, the front bezel will have the most give, but keep in mind, you want to remove the back panel not the front, although the metal panel itself will move freely from the front bezel. If you rip the front panel off you'll damage the control panel ribbon so keep that in mind as you go.

Comment

Originally posted by jlmorris
                            I see the screws at the bottom of the back cover, looks like a button on each side at the bottom also where you might have to depress them to release it?
                            Forgot to mention, the buttons you mention are for inserting/removing the speaker bar and not for opening up the monitor (though it does provide a great starting point).

Comment

Thanks for responding Wrog and chizow!

Really appreciate the help. I will give it a go this coming weekend.

Comment

Just curious, but how did you test the caps? With a ESR tester? Can you clarify bad? Shorted? Dried out? High Ohm?

Originally posted by fadec
                                So, far we tested all the caps removed and EVERY SINGLE ONE is bad. Even those that didn't show any signs of bulging.
                                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I just wanted you guys to know that you are awesome. revived two of my dead lcd monitors (acer 17" and viewsonice 19") after finding this post on google. Thanks so much for the info. Keep up the good work and good luck to all others with dead lcds!

Comment

so i was looking at my gateway 2704 and i saw that i had blow caps and i found replacements for the following:
                                    25v 680uf
                                    35v 470uf

but which capacitors do i buy for these ones? i looked at the premade lists you guys have up but the numbers are off so i was wondering if someone could tell me which cap replaced which one:

10v 470uf
                                    16v 100uf

any help would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by testas86
                                      so i was looking at my gateway 2704 and i saw that i had blow caps and i found replacements for the following:
                                      25v 680uf
                                      35v 470uf

but which capacitors do i buy for these ones? i looked at the premade lists you guys have up but the numbers are off so i was wondering if someone could tell me which cap replaced which one:

10v 470uf
                                      16v 100uf

any help would be greatly appreciated
                                      Which did you end up selecting for the 680uF 25v and 470uF 35v? Make sure the height fits! Measure the 470uF 10v and 100uF 16v and let us know the dimensions, then someone can suggest suitable replacements.

Comment

hello guys im new at this im having the problem that most of u are having, turn on my monitor and 2-3 seconds gateway comes up then screen goes to black but the problem is that i dont know CRAP about at this. i seen u guys talk about capacitors but i have no idea please i NEED HELP thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hectorbass
                                          hello guys im new at this im having the problem that most of u are having, turn on my monitor and 2-3 seconds gateway comes up then screen goes to black but the problem is that i dont know CRAP about at this. i seen u guys talk about capacitors but i have no idea please i NEED HELP thanks
                                          Many posts here in this forum talk about the "two seconds to black" problem, and there are a few different solutions. The only way to become more knowledgeable is to read, read, read and then read some more. You'll need some basic test equipment (DMM or VOM) along with some basic electronic component knowledge to start. Once you're familiar with the nomenclature, ask questions on what you should do next and there are plenty of people here to assist. It would be incredibly frustrating to ask you to do something, only to have you say "How do I do that?" when it's been documented many times in other places.

Comment

Working...
                                          X