Fluke 87 Meter repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluke 87 Meter repair

I have a model 87 fluke multimeter with Q8 showing bad and I am looking to replace it. Fluke no longer stock it and don't have a substitute for it I can't see any markings on it so can't find a data sheet. Was wondering if someone could recommend a substitute from the schematic attached
    Attached Files

Re: Fluke 87 Meter repair

The number shown in the parts list for the MFRS is SSTVNS009-T1 but this # do not show any results. The description given in the parts list: Transistor, SI, N-DMOS FET, SOT23.
    Attached Files

Comment

Absolute murder to find the part! Q8 N-ch small signal DMOS FET for battery switch.
      TEMIC/Silconix SSTVNS009-T1 SOT-23, Fluke 830851 replaced by Fluke 927538. Not in Silconix 1986 FET databook.

The part is now 2N7002, easy to find. BSS138 would likely work too.
      Last edited by redwire; 08-05-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks redwire that will get me up and running appreciate the help

Comment

What happened to the meter that caused Q8 to go bad?
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            What happened to the meter that caused Q8 to go bad?
            Not sure I think I may have put a prop across it with the unite powered on I smoked Q8 and Q10 in the process. I picked up the meter because it had an issue with a high amperage spike and I didn't help none. One of these monuments.
            Last edited by davg; 08-05-2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I was wondering about this too, normally it'd take quite a bit to fry Q8 and normally if Q8 goes, the whole meter is likely not salvageable...
              But if you zapped it externally directly with some other issue, then this may not apply.

Comment

I'm in the process of collecting the various components needed hopefully I didn't do to much damage and can revive it???

Comment

Q8, Q10 are at the power system for the DMM IC, which is never supposed to see any overloads. It could happen if you were running the DMM from a bench power supply instead of the 9V battery and caused a ground fault. But this is uncommon.
                  I would say good chance the DMM IC is fried if those parts failed There's a bunch of parts to protect the DMM IC and why didn't they work?

You could leave out Q8, Q10, Q3 and jumper battery(-) to VSS at C21 just to see if the meter can boot up. If there is a short or overcurrent on the VDD/VSS I think the DMM IC has shorted.

Comment

Working...
                  X