Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Elitebook 820 G3 - Locating BIOS Chips & Not Powering On

Hi,

I got two HP Elitebook 820 G3 laptops sold as "untested/for parts" ages ago and finally got round to testing and attempting to fix them.

The first was easy enough and after replacing the missing/broken parts runs great, however has a BIOS password the seller does not know. I'm pretty new to this but I've had a read around and it looks like this can easily be removed using the tool by RethoricalCheese here:

The bit I'm struggling with is actually finding the BIOS chips. I've completely removed the system board to have a look and can't see anything obvious, but then I'm not entirely sure what I'm actually looking for. The HP parts number for the board in them is 831762-001 and it seems to also be called 6050A2725001-MB-A01 in some places. Would anybody be able to let me know where they can be found on these laptops?

My understanding is that once I've found the chips, they can be read with a SOIC8 clip and CH341A programmer. Once read, I can then run them through the tool above to remove the passwords, and load them back onto the chips. Is this right?

The second laptop is the exact same model and was missing the same components, however on testing will not even power on. When plugged in, none of the LEDs light up at all and nothing happens when the power button is pressed. I've tried this both with and without a battery and have the same problem. Does anyone know what could be causing this and if it's something that is potentially fixable?

Thanks for your help and this is my first topic here, so please let me know if I've messed anything up.

Re: HP Elitebook 820 G3 - Locating BIOS Chips & Not Powering On

Main BIOS chip is here.
    There are 2 types.
    1. Socket Type. (attached images)
    2. Soldered.
    Chip is WSON8 both types. Not SOIC8.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pokotan; 10-19-2020, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokotan View Post
      Main BIOS chip is here.
      There are 2 types.
      1. Socket Type. (attached images)
      2. Soldered.
      Chip is WSON8 both types. Not SOIC8.
      Thanks, much appreciated! I'm currently at work so can't check, but I don't remember seeing a socket there when I was looking yesterday, so I assume mine are soldered.

If this is the case, is there any way to read it while it's on the board, or would I have to remove it first? I'd guess I can still use a CH341A programmer but would need a different adaptor instead?

Comment

You need to des older it and solder it on wson pcb. Never use the clip always desolder the chip. Clip gives errors. That is mine advise
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
          You need to des older it and solder it on wson pcb. Never use the clip always desolder the chip. Clip gives errors. That is mine advise
          Thanks for the advice. Just had a check and both of mine are soldered rather than in a socket. I have a PCB they should fit I think.

Do you think it is a good idea for me to try desoldering if I've never done it before? Or am I likely to damage the chip or board?

Comment

Test it first on scrapboard for soldering skills. If that goes well you can try on your own board. That is my advise.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
              Test it first on scrapboard for soldering skills. If that goes well you can try on your own board. That is my advise.

Good luck
              Thank you, appreciate the advice. Will give it a go and see if it's worth the risk on the motherboard.

Comment

ok good luck my friend
                Last edited by Stevedb; 10-21-2020, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X