Help with HP Z Book bios. Keep bricking laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with HP Z Book bios. Keep bricking laptops

So I came upon a stack of G1 and G2 HP Zbook laptops. All have the bios locked so for fun I wanted to try and reprogram and rebuild some of these laptops.

I got a Ch341 Black programmer, and a Soic 8 clip

I read on a bunch of forums that I should be able to read and rewrite to the chips without desoldering them. But I also am seeing conflicting information about it working or not.
    Also after bricking 2 machines I learned about the serial number information that needs to be retained in the BIOS and using posted BIOS even for the same model wouldn't work.

Even more I bricked another laptop before finding out that these Winbond chips dont all read/write the same based on which software you're using with the CH341.

So I got what I thought was everything sorted out. Correct software, learned how to take multiple reads and used a CRC checker to ensure consistency between reads. Should be good to go right? So I take a functioning laptop, do the reads, verify, then erase the BIOS chip, then write the read right back onto the chip and the laptop is bricked.

I get no errors on the write process. The laptop powers on, but I get the HP 5 blinks on the cap/num lights which means BIOS not found.

I'm also surprised Sure Start doesn't kick in and at least let me recovery the original BIOS

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Re: Help with HP Z Book bios. Keep bricking laptops

5 blinking error means system error. You can clean me region of your original dump or place it in bios section ask somebody to clean me region your dump. Try this probably will this be the fix.

Regards Steve

Comment

Re: Help with HP Z Book bios. Keep bricking laptops

Sure that would help with my initial issue of resetting the BIOS but I still dont get why writing my back up read would brick the laptop?
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X