KDS 17" LCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDS 17" LCD

I have a couple of these that I brought home from work. They would no longer power up and are beyond the 1 year full warranty period. From a corporate standpoint I guess it makes more sense to replace these than to repair them, even if parts are covered. New ones have gotten cheap enough by now. When I took them apart I found a whole group of bad caps, some bulging, on the power supply board. All 6 of them are the same, 470uF 25v Xunda brand
    I am not real experienced with electronics, but I know some basic theory since I used to work as an industrial construction electrician. My electronic repair expertise is mostly "replace the burnt shit and hope it works ;p" . Anyhow, I temporarily replaced the bad caps with some salvaged ones from junked mobos and the monitor powered up and seemed to work fine However the caps were not the same rating as the ones I replaced, and note even all the same values, so only ran it for a couple of minutes before shutting it down. I have a couple of questions:
    1) When I powered up there was a high pitched squeal coming from somewhere on the board, couldnt tell what component it was. Almost sounded like air leaking, and tapered off like letting the air out of a baloon when I removed power. Another cap failing, inductor, transformer, which is the likely culprit and should I be concerned? Or is it likely a product of my mismatched testing caps?
    2) I ordered Chemicon KZE caps from Digikey for replacements. Since I have the potential of getting more fixable monitors I ordered some extras. Are these OK for this application?

At any rate, I should get my caps quickly as I am only 150 miles from Digikey I am knocking on wood that caps are the only problem with these monitors, and hoping for more hehe.

Re: KDS 17" LCD

KZE look ok
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Re: KDS 17" LCD

Wait until installing the appropriate caps to chase down the squealing noise. It's likely a transformer or something, though.... sometimes a dab of hot glue on the coils will make them quiet down.
      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Working...
      X