Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESR Data

Hi,
    I'm trying to diagnose a fault with a power supply which surprisingly has very little in the way of electrolytic capacitors onboard.

I'm looking for the ESR data on these capacitors but cannot find anything at all.

There are:
    1x Elite 180uF 450v - cannot read type
    1x Elite 470uF 35v - EJ(M) (C)0604 PET
    2x Elite 470uF 35v - EJ(M) (C)0551 PET
    2x Jamicon 47uF 50v TK Series

I cannot find the Elite manufacturers website and cannot find any datasheets on the three 470uF capacitors; despite them being the same rating, they are differently marked!!

What I can find on the Jamicon website for the TK series does not indicate the ESR.

What is the correct thing to to in this situation? Are there any comprehensive typical ESR tables which I should use (I've had a quick preliminary look on Google but they do not list the capacitance / voltage combinations).
    Also, if typical tables can / should be used, why use manufacturers tables if they are available?

I have done a quick test of the capacitor ESR's and have some interesting results however they are still in circuit and I'm not sure of the values I should be expecting so am looking for accurate data before I unsolder and test again.

Thanks

Re: ESR Data

The datasheets.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: ESR Data

Elite 470uF 35v - EJ(M) (C)0604 PET
      (M) - this is not part of the series name. it simply means that the tolerance for the part is +/-20%.

(C) - I'm going to guess that this might be the copyright symbol; or maybe the location of the factory.

0604 - this means the part was manufactured in the 4th week of 2006.

PET - this means the sleeve material is polyethylene terephthalate, aka polyester or Mylar.

If you posted more info about the power supply we might be even more helpful.
      Last edited by PeteS in CA; 01-03-2020, 01:54 PM.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
      X