Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DELL e196fp 19" - Screen goes blank

Greetings all. new member here.

I have this monitor and when I turn it on, it displays fine. Then after 5 or 6 seconds it goes blank. power button stays green.

I tried the flashlight test but I didnt see anything. I took it apart and didnt see anything visually wrong.

I turned it on while I had the case off and when it comes on i can see that the backlight comes on but then goes off.

would it be the capacitors or the backlight itself? is there somewhere where I could just get a new inverter board?

[/IMG]

Re: DELL e196fp 19" - Screen goes blank

This is a common problem. It is sometimes called the 'two seconds to black' problem. There is no one cause. A brief description of the operation of the inverter and backlight will explain the problem.

When the monitor is powered up the logic board turns the inverter on. For the first few seconds the inverter controller runs the CCFLs at full power. It then begins to check for fault conditions. Possible faults include CCFL voltage too high, CCFL current too low, CCFL current too high. If ANY CCFL exhibits any of these problems the controller turns off the backlights.

Possible causes include bad capacitors in the power supply or the inverter, broken CCFL, open or shorted transformer in the inverter, failing CCFL, shorted diode, bad transistors, bad solder joints, etc, etc.

One possible approach is to buy a case mod light kit (2 CCFLs and an inverter) and use the inverter from the kit to test all of the CCFLs in the monitor. The CCFLs from the kit can be used as test loads to check the monitor's inverter.

Finding replacement inverters tends to be difficult, and expensive when you do find them. Posting better pictures (front and back) of the inverter would help us help you.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 05-13-2009, 12:26 PM.
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Looks like there is 7 Elite Caps. 4- 470uf 35V 2- 1000uf 16V and 1- 120uf 450V

Then it looks like 4 smaller Lelon caps and 2 other smaller caps.

All look OK,

there is a fuse on the board, but its an odd looking one. It has the shape of those round tube fuses, but its not clear, its cloudy so I cant see if its good. i assume if it wasnt it would turn on at all though.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cmccul002
        Looks like there is 7 Elite Caps. 4- 470uf 35V 2- 1000uf 16V and 1- 120uf 450V

Then it looks like 4 smaller Lelon caps and 2 other smaller caps.

All look OK,

there is a fuse on the board, but its an odd looking one. It has the shape of those round tube fuses, but its not clear, its cloudy so I cant see if its good. i assume if it wasnt it would turn on at all though.
        Even the poorest Chinese cap manufacturers now know how to build them so they don't bulge if they fail. I've circled 4 caps in red. These are associated with the inverter. Replace them all, even if they test good with an ESR meter.. I've also circled 7 more in yellow. I STRONGLY suggest replacing them all. Neither Elite nor Lelon are good brands. I suggest ordering the caps from DigiKey (www.digikey.com). Figure on paying an average of $.50 for each cap plus another $2.00 for shipping. If you aren't sure about the proper replacements post the brand, capacitance, voltage, and series (a two or three letter identifier) of every cap. If you want t simply post everything on the label, do that.

I also circled 4 transformers in blue. Resolder every pin on those.

That's a ceramic fuse. You have to use an ohmmeter to test them. but if it had blown you wouldn't get anything.

PlainBill
        Attached Files
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
          Even the poorest Chinese cap manufacturers now know how to build them so they don't bulge if they fail. I've circled 4 caps in red. These are associated with the inverter. Replace them all, even if they test good with an ESR meter.. I've also circled 7 more in yellow. I STRONGLY suggest replacing them all. Neither Elite nor Lelon are good brands. I suggest ordering the caps from DigiKey (www.digikey.com). Figure on paying an average of $.50 for each cap plus another $2.00 for shipping. If you aren't sure about the proper replacements post the brand, capacitance, voltage, and series (a two or three letter identifier) of every cap. If you want t simply post everything on the label, do that.

I also circled 4 transformers in blue. Resolder every pin on those.

That's a ceramic fuse. You have to use an ohmmeter to test them. but if it had blown you wouldn't get anything.

PlainBill
          I agree with PlainBill : Lelon and Elite must go. Panasonic FC or FM are good candidates for replacement brand/series, but if you post more info, PCBONEZ might come in with a more specific suggestion.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
          • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
          • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
          • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050
            2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

First of all, thanks for all the help

Here is a list of the all the caps and markings.

4 - Elite 470uf 35V on one side and EL(M)105C (C)0608 P E T on the other. The are .75" tall

2 - Elite 1000uf 16V / EL(M)105C (C)0603 P E T .75" tall

2 - Lelon 1000uf 10V / RGA105C A610(M) .50" tall

1 - Lelon 100uf 25V / RGA105C A606(M) .50" tall

1 Lelon 1uf 50V / RGA105C A601(M) .50" tall

2 JAMICON 47uf 50V / 616C2(M) .50" tall

As for the transformers, you say resolder the terminals. Do you mean the terminals on the underside of the board ot the little terminal studs on the transformer itself?

Thanks again.

Comment

4 - Elite 470uf 35V on one side and EL(M)105C (C)0608 P E T on the other. The are .75" tall

As for the transformers, you say resolder the terminals. Do you mean the terminals on the underside of the board ot the little terminal studs on the transformer itself?

Thanks again.
              The terminals on the underside of the board, but touching up the point where the wires are soldered to the terminals can't hurt.

The background here is that the normal soldering process used in manufacturing (wave soldering) tends to do a poor job on large components that absorb a lot of heat. Instead of flowing around the lead and wicking up to the top of the board, the solder solidifies part way up. With repeated heating and cooling, plus the stress of the transformer heating cooling, and vibrating the joints have a tendency to crystalize. This leads to poor contact.

It may take a day or so before I get a chance to check the specs on the caps, but I suspect just replacing everything with Panasonic FC series would do the trick.

PlainBill

Comment

The terminals on the underside of the board, but touching up the point where the wires are soldered to the terminals can't hurt.

The background here is that the normal soldering process used in manufacturing (wave soldering) tends to do a poor job on large components that absorb a lot of heat. Instead of flowing around the lead and wicking up to the top of the board, the solder solidifies part way up. With repeated heating and cooling, plus the stress of the transformer heating cooling, and vibrating the joints have a tendency to crystalize. This leads to poor contact.

It may take a day or so before I get a chance to check the specs on the caps, but I suspect just replacing everything with Panasonic FC series would do the trick.

PlainBill
                Thanks alot.

I was looking through the webiste you suggested and there are alot of options.

Comment

Thanks again.
                  OK, the Elite are very low ESR; the Lelon are not; and I couldn't identify the Jamicon's series from the information. Here's what I came up with.

4 ea 470uF 35V P12415-ND .394 diam $.59 ea $2.36

2 ea 1000uF 16V P12366-ND .394 diam $.59 ea $1.18

2 ea 1000uF 10V P12353-ND .394 diam $.50 ea $1.00

1 ea 100uF 25V P12924-ND .24 diam $.20 ea $0.20

1 ea 1uF 50V P10312-ND .24 diam $.27 ea $0.27

2 ea 47uF 50V P10321-ND .24 diam $.28 ea $0.56

The 2 50 volt caps are Panasonic FC series, the rest are Panasonic FM. Verify the clearance on diameters, and on height. The first three types are just over 3/4" high (.78").

Now I'm going to Spearfishlaketales.com to see what Jennifer, Blake, Brandy, Phil, Tiffany, Josh, Candice and John are up to. (Shameless plug for one of my favorite e-writers).

PlainBill

Comment

Thanks.

Quick Question. What about the caps you can get from Radio Shack? Are they any good?

Comment

Thanks.

Quick Question. What about the caps you can get from Radio Shack? Are they any good?
                      No. They are general purpose caps. Not that they are bad, just not fit for the applications discussed here, where you need high temp, low ESR caps.
                      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I have three problems with using caps from Radio Shack or NTE. First, they do not have the high temperature / low ESR qualities you require. Second, they have a poor selection, you may have to substitute value or voltage. Third, they are EXPENSIVE.

As an example, consider the 470uF 35V caps specified above. Radio Shack lists a 470uF 35V cap, 272-1018 for $1.39 each. They don't spec the ESR, but it's a low temperature (-40 +85°C) part. DigiKey #P12415-ND IS the correct part, and only costs $.59 each.

It gets even worse when you get to the lower voltage caps. Radio Shack doesn't have 1000uF 16V caps, they have 1000uF 35V caps which will be physically larger, causing mounting problems.

At one time DigiKey had a minimum order / handling charge requirement that could easily add $10 to a small order. That has been dropped. An order like this can be shipped first class mail for about $2.50 (postal rates went up) and will be delivered in 2-3 days.

Yes, that means a delay. But if you wear size 10 shoes would you buy size 12 for $50 a pair or wait 2 days and get size 10 for $30 a pair?

PlainBill

Comment

I have three problems with using caps from Radio Shack or NTE. First, they do not have the high temperature / low ESR qualities you require. Second, they have a poor selection, you may have to substitute value or voltage. Third, they are EXPENSIVE.

As an example, consider the 470uF 35V caps specified above. Radio Shack lists a 470uF 35V cap, 272-1018 for $1.39 each. They don't spec the ESR, but it's a low temperature (-40 +85°C) part. DigiKey #P12415-ND IS the correct part, and only costs $.59 each.

It gets even worse when you get to the lower voltage caps. Radio Shack doesn't have 1000uF 16V caps, they have 1000uF 35V caps which will be physically larger, causing mounting problems.

At one time DigiKey had a minimum order / handling charge requirement that could easily add $10 to a small order. That has been dropped. An order like this can be shipped first class mail for about $2.50 (postal rates went up) and will be delivered in 2-3 days.

Yes, that means a delay. But if you wear size 10 shoes would you buy size 12 for $50 a pair or wait 2 days and get size 10 for $30 a pair?

PlainBill
                          Had a feeling about that, glad i asked. its been a long time for me soldering anything. I had an old PS2 parts laying around so I pulled off the power board and practiced soldering and de-soldering caps and other components.

My order cost $10.37, with USPS 3-5 day shipping to Delaware.

I'll keep you posted.

P.S. thanks again for all your time. I'm awaiting the parts, so I'll keep this thread updated

Comment

Oh well.

I replaced the caps, and resoldered the transformer terminals. Same issue.

Comment

Oh well.

I have a Question, you say in your first post that the monitor works ok for 5 or 6 seconds, does that mean that you can see windows ect for those few seconds with your comp running every time you turn monitor on and off reapeatedly???
                              I ask this because I find it strange that you see no image when you shine flashlight into screen, do you press the flashlight flat to screen in darkend room, if it is Inverter or CCFLs that is your problem then I believe there should be image showing when you use the flashlight
                              bob

Comment

You may have bad lamps in there. Try suggestion in post #2 - I test the CCFLs that way.
                                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Oh well.

Can you tell us the part number of the 16-pin IC?

I suspect that this IC is the lamp controller. It probably has a separate current feedback pin for each of the four lamps. Perhaps monitoring the voltages on these pins may identify one which is significantly different to the others.

The photo is very blurry, but it appears to me that there is a current feedback resistor near each of the HV transformers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
                                    I have a Question, you say in your first post that the monitor works ok for 5 or 6 seconds, does that mean that you can see windows ect for those few seconds with your comp running every time you turn monitor on and off reapeatedly???
                                    I ask this because I find it strange that you see no image when you shine flashlight into screen, do you press the flashlight flat to screen in darkend room, if it is Inverter or CCFLs that is your problem then I believe there should be image showing when you use the flashlight
                                    bob

Yes, when I turn it on I can see my desktop for a few seconds then it goes blank.

I just tried a stronger flashlight, and I can in fact see the display.

Comment

Originally posted by eguevarae
                                      You may have bad lamps in there. Try suggestion in post #2 - I test the CCFLs that way.
                                      Will any case mod light work? Like this one?

http://www.crazypc.com/products/8240W.html

Comment

Will any case mod light work? Like this one?

http://www.crazypc.com/products/8240W.html
                                        That's almost the same model I have - dual output, pass-thru molex connector. I just modified it a little bit

Attached Files
                                        • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Working...
                                        X