Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuttle XPC SD37P2 V2 Burnt Caps and MOSFET? - Please Help

Hi,

I had my Shuttle XPC SD37P2 V2 running for 2 years until Nov 09 while I was on holiday my bro smelt something burning. Since then there is no boot. Power turns on fans start turning but nothing.

I had this running as a SBS 2003 server with no issues.

I have attached a picture of the caps, MOSFET which are likley to be the problem as I have check all the other components on another system and they all function (RAM, CPU, HDD, VGA).

Reference to my picture would it be possible to replace all the components labelled or would you say its DEAD?

If caps, MOSFET can be replaced any idea where I can get them from in UK?

Thanks

VJ
    Attached Files

Re: Shuttle XPC SD37P2 V2 Burnt Caps and MOSFET? - Please Help

you need top remove the cap, coil & fet-pair and clean the board with IPA to get your answer.

open the psu, i bet all the caps in it are fucked!
    tht's what always kills shuttle units.

Comment

I reckon it's worth a shot, trouble is finding that mosfet.

You'd probably want to get the coils from another scrap board.

Comment

and also check all the caps on the board. the cap that is above the one that is circled #2 (second cap from the white fan plug) is also bad

Comment

they will all be crap on a shuttle,
          but first we need to check the cause(psu)
          and strip the bad bits off to check for pcb damage.

the fet wont be a problem International Rectifier do superior replacements and farnell stock them.

Comment

The coil is damaged from heat, as iron powder cores are permanently damaged (loss of magnetic properties) by too high temperature.
            So you need to replace this as well. Not an easy job as you cant just use any core and wind wire around it, you need to get the correct inductance and (even more important) high enough saturation current and low enoug loss, or it will fail again.
            Now with the core not marked, this is a problem.
            Also, heat damage to the PCB might as well have caused failiures (ex disconnected VIAs or delamination) in inner layers.

So, id trash it.
            If its really important, you would have to measure inductance, determine the apprx. saturation current (where L drops by 20%), and then go trough the whole design process...

Comment

Thanks for you advice guys.

I'll remove the components to see if the PDB is damaged. Finding the correct coil component might be a really pain.

I really like the case so I would like to see if I can get a less faulty mobo for real cheap and then do all the cap replacing. Any idea where I might be able to source one?

I see that Shuttle XPC SX38P2 Pro (http://www.shuttle.eu/products/bareb...-pro/overview/) is the same case as my one. Any idea if might be able to get just the mobo from Shuttle or else where?

Kinds Regards

VJ

Comment

Well isn't ITX a standard?

Surely any board will fit.

Comment

shittles are custom,
                  they use a special heatpipe assembly between the cpu & case rear.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                    shittles are custom,
                    they use a special heatpipe assembly between the cpu & case rear.
                    not in this box. that's what they did in the P4 and Athlon XP days.
                    however.. they used something completely off-standard in there.
                    looks like they took a BTX board and made a mini-ITX version out of it.
                    sort of like "mini-BTX"

http://img.hexus.net/v2/sff/shuttle/...G_3381-big.jpg

so it's either "try to fix the board" or "throw everything away"..
                    as neat as those little shuttle boxes look, crap like that makes me hate them

edit: the fan above the IO Panel is actually the PSU fan..
                    Last edited by Scenic; 06-03-2010, 02:54 AM.

Comment

yea, that really is annoying.
                      it may hold a via EPIA mini-itx board.

Comment

these are the fet's
                        http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions...o?id=NTD40N03R

these will probably work.
                        http://uk.farnell.com/international-...tt=IRLR8729PBF

Comment

folks,
                          I see this thread is a bit old, but let me try my question here.
                          1. I have the same shuttle xpc; it won't turn on
                          2. I did the shuttle 'paper clip' test: pull the pwr supply from the mobo, put a paper clip between the single green wire and one of the black wires.
                          3. the pwr supply fan engaged and so did the hdd - so the pwr supply is good

but, when I plug everything back as to operate, nothing turns on.
                          4. I scraped some of the insulation off the front panel 'power on' pushbutton and shorted the button, but still nothing turns on
                          5. I inspected the mobo; there are NO bubbled caps or toasted resistors

I am at a loss for next steps in trouble shooting.
                          any ideas?
                          thanks,
                          ron

Comment

Working...
                          X