Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[TUTORIAL] fix asus bios with bios from asus web support (by razor_amd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[TUTORIAL] fix asus bios with bios from asus web support (by razor_amd)

With ASUS, not everything is quite so simple. I will show you my way. It may be longer or harder but it is the right way to do it in my humble opinion.

For example, you can have 3 similar ASUS motherboards, all being the same model, all of which will have different BIOS versions.

I will give you an example and my version of preparing BIOS from ASUS website and in the process I am always cleaning Intel ME while doing it so you have fully cleaned BIOS, no DMI data, no password, nothing.

This is the picture of 3 similar ASUS motherboards, all of them being X555LD but different versions:

In next picture below, all of them have different BIOS versions. On ASUS motherboards, always look for this sticker, it will tell you the correct BIOS version and version which came with the board. (I am sorry if I didn't order pictures correctly, to mach boards with stickers, I am just writing to help you know what to look for when you get one for repair)

First board has X555LA bios version 202, ASUS is naming it X555LAAS.202
    Second board has X555LB bios version 332, ASUS is naming it X555LBAS.332
    Third board has X555LJ bios version 360, ASUS is naming it X555LJAS.360

Note that all BIOS files downloaded from ASUS website have "AS" suffix next to model name followed by the BIOS version. I will tell you later, one more info about that.

I think this ASUS X555LD motherboard has the most BIOS versions. Couple more BIOS versions also applicable for this motherboard are: X555LAB, X555LN, X555LNB, X555LD, X555LDB.

Next, now you know the correct version of the BIOS that goes into your motherboard, go to ASUS support website or search through Google if you don't see the specific model on ASUS website, and download BIOS for the notebook model written on the sticker. If it is written X555LA on the sticker than type X555LA and download BIOS that says X555LA.

Next step is to read your original BIOS from the board and open it in HEX editor. I use WinHEX because it is easiest to work with. Go to Search -> Find Text or just press Ctrl+F on a keyboard and type in X555. Don't type anything else after X555, it's easier to find the correct version.

I opened a random BIOS I have on my server so it will not mach the one written on a sticker here, but you get the point. When you read yours it should mach 100% if no one before you tampered with it or updated it.

On the picture you can see there are couple of places where you can find out exactly what bios version it is. The address 0x230000 is where DMI data starts, and it ends with 0x27FFFF. If you want your serial number, model, windows key, you need to copy this information from old BIOS to the new one you will make later on...

Next step is to check the Intel ME version used in original BIOS file. Use the ME Analyzer that plutomaniac made from Win-Raid forums and find out the version.

We see here that we need Intel ME 9.5.15.1730 firmware with 1,5MB in size from Win-Raid repository and you will need Intel ME 9.5 System Tools also from Win-Raid forums. Unpack Flash Image tool and the correct clean ME firmware from the archives.

Now, you will have to use this great guide, again from Win-Raid forums, that is being constantly updated with new stuff. Follow D3. ME 7 - 10 & TXE 1 - 2 paragraph with a little bit of changes which I will tell you now. Skip the preparation of ME region because we already did that. Go all the way to the step 7, here is where we make one change. Unpack and copy previously downloaded BIOS from ASUS website to the FITC folder and also copy clean ME region file. Open the extracted ASUS file in HEX Editor and delete first 2KB of it. Almost on all downloaded ASUS BIOS files you need to delete first 2KB. You can also compare the 2 files in HEX editor and make the downloaded file from ASUS start exactly like BIOS Region.bin file.

Now you only have to remove original BIOS Region.bin file and ME Region.bin file from the folder and rename your files exactly like the ones you removed.

X555LAAS.312 to BIOS Region.bin and
    9.5.15.1730_1.5MB_PRD_RGN.bin to ME Region.bin

Continue with Step 8 and further and make your completely clean BIOS that will be in "Build" folder named outimage.bin. Step 11 and 12 are not needed. I never did any of that.

I suggest you rename this outimage.bin file to X555LAAS.312.bin (the name you get when extracting bios from ASUS website with .bin extension added to the end) so you would know that this is the clean complete BIOS image for ASUS X555LD motherboard with bios X555LA version 312.

You may now open old BIOS and newly made BIOS in HEX editor, it is easier to compare them and copy the DMI data from old bios file to new and always Save As new BIOS file so you will have your clean file untouched. Most ASUS notebooks work great without copying the DMI data, just program the correct made image without DMI data.

For the "AS" suffix. There are engineering BIOS-es for ASUS notebooks. They are the files that only ASUS Engineers can download from their servers with specific hardware installed at ASUS service centre. Those files are already complete BIOS files with Clean ME and no DMI data already setup for every notebook that exists from ASUS. You will recognize these BIOS-es because insted of the "AS" suffix after the bios model, they have an "F1" suffix.

X555LAAS.317 -> X555LAF1.317

That is all from me. If I remember anything else, I will add to my post. Moderators can also move this tutorial to the second place if possible, for easier access.

Thank you all for reading and happy modding.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-05-2023, 01:42 PM. Reason: Edited winraid repository and system tools links

Re: [TUTORIAL] fix asus bios with bios from asus web support (by razor_amd)

Thanks Excelent

Comment

Originally posted by razor_amd View Post
      With ASUS, not everything is quite so simple. I will show you my way. It may be longer or harder but it is the right way to do it in my humble opinion.
      Hello razor,

Thank you for sharing this great info about unlocking Asus laptops.
      I will share an experience I had with an Asus that I unlocked a few months ago.

This was an Asus Q406D to be exact.
      And these were the steps that I had to follow:

1.) I visited: asus.com/us/Laptops
      2.) Filled in the Asus laptop model, etc.
      3.) Downloaded the bios file in a zip format.
      4.) After unziping it I ended up with this file: Q406DAAS.304
      5.) Then here comes the tricky part.. honestly I have no idea how I did it...

Using HxD I combined the original locked bios with this other file. I do not recommend to remane the .304 to .bin as the file will become corrupted. in the original locked file I removed must of his content and lefted intact the Q406DAAS.304 then saved the file. after I turned on the Asus it took a while for the system to update the changes. I did received many errors but after each errors the system restared the machine, but like I said it took a while but thats how I removed the bios password.

Next time I come across another Asus I will use your method.

Comment

well done

Comment

Thanks for your share. Razor AMD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
          Become a Badcaps supporter
          >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
          Thanks to all supporters.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Thank you Razor for sharing the goodness

Comment

thanks

Comment

Great tutu , thank you

Comment

Question : what to do in this case !
                  Asus X555LD rev 3.3 ...at the sticker we have X555LDB ( 332)...so 332 is the version which came with the board...go to asus site..choosing x555LDB and the last ver is 307..so how toproceed here !

Comment

Originally posted by lapfix View Post
                    Question : what to do in this case !
                    Asus X555LD rev 3.3 ...at the sticker we have X555LDB ( 332)...so 332 is the version which came with the board...go to asus site..choosing x555LDB and the last ver is 307..so how toproceed here !
                    There are two versions LD and LDB.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                        There are two versions LD and LDB.
                        thank you

Comment

beautifull

Comment

Originally posted by musanide View Post
                            beautifull
                            Thanks Excellent
                            Last edited by SMDFlea; 07-03-2022, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Un grand MERCI ! WHAOU !!! Mais quel bon travail !!! Excellent ������

A big THANK YOU! WHAOU!!! But what a great job!!! Excellent

Comment

I can not see any picture, sticker in above post. Do you? Where are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356
                                  All images are viewable without any issue, even through my phone's browser - I just checked to make sure everything is OK.

Yes. Unfortunatly my false. I noticed after quote the original post. I could see postimage.com links and could open them only with a VPN.

I couldn't see any pic or link at first and wrote above message. False alarm. Have a nice day.

PS: Really good topic with pics. Thanks to razor_amd.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemer View Post
                                    Yes. Unfortunatly my false. I noticed after quote the original post. I could see postimage.com links and could open them only with a VPN.
                                    I couldn't see any pic or link at first and wrote above message. False alarm. Have a nice day.
                                    PS: Really good topic with pics. Thanks to razor_amd.
                                    The external images have been added to badcaps. Thanks for the VPN explanation.We do ask members to add their images to badcaps as external image hosts can go offline or close down.
                                    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Now, you will have to use this great guide, again from Win-Raid forums,
                                      That link needs update.

The address 0x230000 is where DMI data starts, and it ends with 0x27FFFF
                                      How can we understand if is this DMI data start? Is this adress a standard for all bioses?

in HEX Editor and delete first 2KB of it
                                      Why 2KB? Exactly 2048 bytes? I see "delete" till 0x7F0 in last picture. That is 2032 bytes.

I read the topic in win-raid which shown in OP (D3. ME 7 - 10 & TXE 1 - 2) but also couldn't understand how to find DMI start or where and how many bytes should delete. Can anyone please clarify? Thanks

Comment

That link needs update.
                                        There are more broken win-raid links besides that one,they will all be updated.. soon

How can we understand if is this DMI data start? Is this adress a standard for all bioses?
                                        No the addresses are different

Why 2KB? Exactly 2048 bytes? I see "delete" till 0x7F0 in last picture. That is 2032 bytes.
                                        The end address is 7FF

I read the topic in win-raid which shown in OP (D3. ME 7 - 10 & TXE 1 - 2) but also couldn't understand how to find DMI start or where and how many bytes should delete. Can anyone please clarify? Thanks
                                        The win-raid guide is only for ME firmware it does not go into the subject of copying DMI, razor_amd mentions it in his guide. DMI addresses are in different places. There are some Asus DMI tools available if you can`t use a hex editor https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...43&postcount=5
                                        Attached Files
                                        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
                                        X