Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > General Topics > General Computer & Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2022, 11:52 PM   #1
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 15,002
Default Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

I was given a G5 PPC dually @ 2GHz, 16gb RAM; model A1117. It had OSX Server 10.4 on it when I got it, no disks. I got it from the original owner. I wanted to remove the server OS and run 10.5.8 on it, the last version of OSX that supported the PPC platform.

This is the tank in question:





I pulled the HDD with OSX Server on it, leaving it intact and installed a blank HDD. After seemingly all day hunting, I found the media to install 10.4.2, which is what originally came on this... After updating it, it's now running 10.4.11....and now here's the problem....this system never came out with 10.5, so there's no OEM install media for it....but people are getting it running on these...but I haven't figured out what media they're using to do it.

The only install media I have for 10.5.8 is what came with an iMac, "Gray label" media, it sends it into a kernel panic when attempting to boot from it (the gray label 10.4 that came with an iMac did the same thing, which is why I had to hunt down a different version of 10.4); the gray label media is intended for only specific models and won't work on all.....so the question is, which of the gazillions of OSX medias do I need to use to get this thing up to 10.5.8?
__________________
<--- Badcaps.net Founder & Owner

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List


Motherboard Repair Services


If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:17 AM   #2
ratdude747
Black Sheep
 
ratdude747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 16,619
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

I have the image you need (DL DVD needed)... or at least what I used from scratch on my iMac G5. I think there are separate intel and PPC images but otherwise I didn't recall anything else amiss. I'm pretty sure I torrented it years ago... but I don't remember.

My church upgraded their two clones of yours to 10.5.8... but I don't have any of the discs aside from an old copy of iWork '08.

Let me know if you want me to FTP it to you.
__________________


(Insert witty quote here)
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:34 AM   #3
stj
Great Sage 齊天大聖
 
stj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
City & State: Europe
My Country: some shithole run by Israeli agents
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 26,441
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

if thats the twin-G5 that model had a safety notice issued.
if the liquid cooling system leaks, bag it up and run away.
no, seriously, they had some that started leaking and whatever it uses was seriously toxic - so watch for stains near the tubing.
stj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:41 AM   #4
piernov
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
City & State: Valbonne, 06
My Country: France
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 3,570
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

I got a DMG called "Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 9E25 Retail.dmg" (so not quite 10.5.8 but same thing, can apply combo update later). Pretty sure that's the one I used on my PowerMac G5 (sadly missing a lot of bits and pieces, if ever someone in EU is getting rid of that stuff…), my PowerMac G4 and my eMac G4.
I created another partition to restore the DMG on it and boot from that since I don't have any DVD DL. On the PowerMac G4 I put the installer on a second HDD, works too.

Also, I'd highly recommend you to take care of the northbridge heatsink. The U3 northbridge is already pretty unreliable, but over time the plastic mounting pins of the heatsink weaken and don't apply enough pressure, or even detach entirely, and U3 will cook itself.
This will lead to the system being unstable, booting less and less often, to finally not POSTing at all anymore, and power LED also often blink with RAM error pattern. Once U3 starts dying the motherboard is good for the landfill.
Also a good opportunity to put some fresh thermal paste on there.
Unfortunately it's on the back of the motherboard so it's quite annoying to disassemble.
__________________
OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView
piernov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:46 AM   #5
ratdude747
Black Sheep
 
ratdude747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 16,619
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
if thats the twin-G5 that model had a safety notice issued.
if the liquid cooling system leaks, bag it up and run away.
no, seriously, they had some that started leaking and whatever it uses was seriously toxic - so watch for stains near the tubing.
Liquid cooling is an option... and his doesn't appear to have it (since I saw fans). The two at church don't have it either. It was primarily an audio recording booth feature (where such silence does matter).
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:53 AM   #6
diif
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
City & State: Midlands
My Country: England
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 6,006
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
if thats the twin-G5 that model had a safety notice issued.
if the liquid cooling system leaks, bag it up and run away.
no, seriously, they had some that started leaking and whatever it uses was seriously toxic - so watch for stains near the tubing.
They were known for leaking and you wouldn't want to drink the coolant but toxic as a gas lol ? you have a link ?
diif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:08 AM   #7
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 15,002
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by piernov View Post
I got a DMG called "Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 9E25 Retail.dmg" (so not quite 10.5.8 but same thing, can apply combo update later). Pretty sure that's the one I used on my PowerMac G5 (sadly missing a lot of bits and pieces, if ever someone in EU is getting rid of that stuff…), my PowerMac G4 and my eMac G4.
I created another partition to restore the DMG on it and boot from that since I don't have any DVD DL. On the PowerMac G4 I put the installer on a second HDD, works too.

Also, I'd highly recommend you to take care of the northbridge heatsink. The U3 northbridge is already pretty unreliable, but over time the plastic mounting pins of the heatsink weaken and don't apply enough pressure, or even detach entirely, and U3 will cook itself.
This will lead to the system being unstable, booting less and less often, to finally not POSTing at all anymore, and power LED also often blink with RAM error pattern. Once U3 starts dying the motherboard is good for the landfill.
Also a good opportunity to put some fresh thermal paste on there.
Unfortunately it's on the back of the motherboard so it's quite annoying to disassemble.
Thanks for the Northbridge advice, I will do so. I think that DMG will do the trick. Once I get it to the 10.5 platform I can use the combo upgrade or just let software update take it from there. Just let me know how you want to do it; I imagine it's pretty large.

I don't know why I wasted so much time on this....it's not worth a whole lot; if I were smart, I'd have sent it to the shredder...I just always liked how well these were built....they're tanks!
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #8
piernov
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
City & State: Valbonne, 06
My Country: France
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 3,570
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Thanks for the Northbridge advice, I will do so. I think that DMG will do the trick. Once I get it to the 10.5 platform I can use the combo upgrade or just let software update take it from there. Just let me know how you want to do it; I imagine it's pretty large.
Unfortunately, I'm on unstable ADSL or unstable LTE, so uploading something like that can take quite a long time… You can probably find it somewhere on the web, here's the MD5 of the one I got: 492a9b56ae43a98bc01f51a0f0e3ba88
I also have something else in my 10.5 folder called "Mac OS X Install DVD.iso", not sure what it is. MD5 of this one is: 152eedc24e79c84f05ad09b2e722abf4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
I don't know why I wasted so much time on this....it's not worth a whole lot; if I were smart, I'd have sent it to the shredder...I just always liked how well these were built....they're tanks!
You don't even imagine the time I wasted on mine. Original motherboard had a (surprise) dead U3, wasted a lot of time working on a lost cause.
Someone generous sent me a "working" replacement board. Had trouble getting it to boot at first, blamed my RAM sticks, finally got it to boot into ASD, but then it only got worse until it finally got stuck on RAM error forever. Tried to reball U3 manually, which I already knew wouldn't do any good, and of course it didn't work.
So I bought another board and thankfully this one is still in good enough shape. Immediately replaced the plastic pins of the heatsink with screws (not the best solution but it works) and put fresh MX-2 paste.
But I'm missing a bunch of parts in this machine, like front fans so rear fans are running at full speed. And it's not even a PCIe model.
I just wanted a working G5 even if it's useless. At least now it boots 10.5…
piernov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:52 PM   #9
lti
Badcaps Veteran
 
lti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
City & State: Windsor, Colorado
My Country: United States
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 2,228
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stj View Post
if thats the twin-G5 that model had a safety notice issued.
if the liquid cooling system leaks, bag it up and run away.
no, seriously, they had some that started leaking and whatever it uses was seriously toxic - so watch for stains near the tubing.
From what I've heard, only the 2.5GHz and higher models were liquid-cooled.

I've also heard that the liquid cooler used Dex-Cool.
lti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:08 PM   #10
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 15,002
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question



No, this one isn't liquid cooled....but it does have the warning label on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piernov View Post
Unfortunately, I'm on unstable ADSL or unstable LTE, so uploading something like that can take quite a long time… You can probably find it somewhere on the web, here's the MD5 of the one I got: 492a9b56ae43a98bc01f51a0f0e3ba88
I also have something else in my 10.5 folder called "Mac OS X Install DVD.iso", not sure what it is. MD5 of this one is: 152eedc24e79c84f05ad09b2e722abf4
I couldn't find it.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by piernov View Post
You don't even imagine the time I wasted on mine. Original motherboard had a (surprise) dead U3, wasted a lot of time working on a lost cause.
Someone generous sent me a "working" replacement board. Had trouble getting it to boot at first, blamed my RAM sticks, finally got it to boot into ASD, but then it only got worse until it finally got stuck on RAM error forever. Tried to reball U3 manually, which I already knew wouldn't do any good, and of course it didn't work.
So I bought another board and thankfully this one is still in good enough shape. Immediately replaced the plastic pins of the heatsink with screws (not the best solution but it works) and put fresh MX-2 paste.
But I'm missing a bunch of parts in this machine, like front fans so rear fans are running at full speed. And it's not even a PCIe model.
I just wanted a working G5 even if it's useless. At least now it boots 10.5…
I think I just enjoy the challenge. My next idea was to remove the Apple components all together and see what kind of ATX / eATX PC board I could fashion in this case. Case modding has always been a favorite thing of mine....this one could be a fun one for that to see how 'natural' I can make it look in the end.
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:07 PM   #11
piernov
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
City & State: Valbonne, 06
My Country: France
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 3,570
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Here it is for now http://servers.piernov.org/~piernov/...5%20Retail.dmg
piernov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:06 PM   #12
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 15,002
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Got it, and thanks! If you want to remove the link/file, you can.

...and uploaded some images by mistake for another thread.....so pay no mind to the images....I don't want to have to delete & re-up them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench_6926.jpg (339.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg bench_6927.jpg (180.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg bench_6928.jpg (191.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg bench_6929.jpg (209.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg bench_6930.jpg (266.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg bench_6931.jpg (238.2 KB, 64 views)
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:10 AM   #13
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 15,002
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
I have the image you need (DL DVD needed)... or at least what I used from scratch on my iMac G5. I think there are separate intel and PPC images but otherwise I didn't recall anything else amiss. I'm pretty sure I torrented it years ago... but I don't remember.

My church upgraded their two clones of yours to 10.5.8... but I don't have any of the discs aside from an old copy of iWork '08.

Let me know if you want me to FTP it to you.
How'd I overlook this post?!? What is iWorks?!
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #14
ratdude747
Black Sheep
 
ratdude747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 16,619
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
How'd I overlook this post?!? What is iWorks?!
iWork is the Apple's office suite. Had some advantages over MS office (at least in 2008) and there were some things I did that required using both (slideshows with different backgrounds on different slides for example). But ever since I installed libreoffice on the new mac and the acer (I don't have the admin password for the G5s, and nobody at the church can find it ), I've not needed to use either for new creations. FOSS for the win!

I'll have to look when I get home but I think my image is the retail version of 10.5.8 (last version of 10.5). Dunno.
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #15
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 15,002
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
iWork is the Apple's office suite. Had some advantages over MS office (at least in 2008) and there were some things I did that required using both (slideshows with different backgrounds on different slides for example). But ever since I installed libreoffice on the new mac and the acer (I don't have the admin password for the G5s, and nobody at the church can find it ), I've not needed to use either for new creations. FOSS for the win!

I'll have to look when I get home but I think my image is the retail version of 10.5.8 (last version of 10.5). Dunno.
Id definitely want the iWorks image for sure. I'm about to find out of piernov's DMG is going to work.
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #16
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 15,002
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Piernov's disc worked. Installed fine and then used the updcombo for 10.5.8...and software update from there.
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:00 PM   #17
ratdude747
Black Sheep
 
ratdude747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 16,619
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Id definitely want the iWorks image for sure. I'm about to find out of piernov's DMG is going to work.
I'll see if I can collect an iWork image this Sunday then.
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:06 PM   #18
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 15,002
Default Re: Mac users, you're being paged! G5 PPC question

All is well, this post created from it with tenfourfox v 13 SPR1



Attached Images
File Type: jpg mac_6933.jpg (236.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg mac_6934.jpg (269.4 KB, 31 views)
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums © 2003 - 2022
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 PM.
Did you find this forum helpful?