X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

It was, but it's dead now.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Somewhat modern design. Two transistor forward, but no PFC.

Comment

It may be modern, but it's still a gutless wonder. I expect better for $55.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

$55 for THAT? I guess it's because it's got Gigabyte all over it.. what a ripoff.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

That's an odd one. The part number 250-60HNN I can see on the PCB means it was probably designed for 250W, but there's no FSP of that model; instead there's a 250-60HHN (http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/english/...=176&proid=658), which is supposed to have a bottom-mounted 12cm fan. Perhaps a special part# for OEM, or maybe even a clone of the FSP?

The ratings are strange too since they match up with none of the FSP models and the 12V rails are far out of balance (one at 8A, one at 14?) A little surprising and disappointing to see a big manufacturer like Gigabyte overrating its PSUs.

Comment

I'm not surprised, Gigabyte are the masters of marketing hype (Or so someone told me once)
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

TT ATX-400, Burned input filtering and busted caps on the secondary. All the caps are YC/Yang Chun brand.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like one of the "safety" Y caps shorted. Proper Y caps are supposed to go open when they fail. Or perhaps the coil arced over.
                  Yet another low end Solytech.

Comment

Thermistor blew out, and filter choke burned up, 'cause switchers and/or primary rectifiers shorted. If you could believe its rating, the fuse is probably 8A. Mmmm... chip of the year.

Looks like that 'steel' was excess left over from the cheep 'n nasty scrapheaps disguised as cases. Gotta love the caps... Look! They used a TO-220 case rectifer for the 12v supply instead of two 3A FR diodes soldered to one of those stupid brackets...

Hipot the bastard and make the world a better place

-Paul
                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                    Originally posted by shango066
                    All style and no substance.
                    Originally posted by smashstuff30
                    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Gotta laugh at the label on this.
                      "High Grade Ower Upply"

No input filtering, Secondary caps are all Fuhjyyu and, surprise surprise, one Chemi-Con, No PI Filter coils

Other interesting thing is that there is no indication of where it was made. I'm assuming in China by HongKongFlyApart Company ®, LLC or in Taiwan by TaiwanBreakDownComponents Company ®
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by c_hegge; 03-01-2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

JDDA? wannabe ADDA?

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                          JDDA? wannabe ADDA?
                          That's what I was thinking

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                            "High Grade Ower Upply"
                            Hey, it must be high grade - it's got a single United Chemicon capacitor. Makes up for all the other missing parts, doesn't it?

At least it's somewhat honestly rated at 180W, though. Powmax would label this 880W.

Comment

L@hoo(.de) noname POS. came out of an Athlon64 3700+ (Socket 939) system..
                              i didn't even bother testing it.. opened it up and..well.. good thing i never tried to turn the system on with it

lahoo.de actually redirects to some kinda unknown company/shop named ONE.
                              the wiring on this is really pathetic.. 20AWG, with some 22AWG (!) thrown in the mix.. omg..
                              caps are all Canicon and SC/CS (the saturn logo) + 2 brown Su'scon on the secondary (which are actually the only non-bulging ones )

Comment

you mean YC for the saturn logo? thats them.
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

At least it has an input filter???

Why bother, with capacitors like that...

Actually it looks like one of the less-crap Hyenas. The square grille gives it away.
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

LC-xxx model number, "2003" or "2002" PWM chip, phenolic board... it's another rebrand of the infamous L&C.

Schematic ("200W" but they probably just reuse the same one for the "300" and "350"):
                                    http://www.apaczai.elte.hu/~04ahgy/P...0_atx_2003.gif
                                    (I'd trust this schematic the same as I'd trust that PSU, since they seem to have drawn it with the 5 and 3.3v connected together )
                                    Last edited by b700029; 03-03-2011, 04:50 PM.

Comment

That makes sense, L&C, Hyena, Deer, Allied, Apex and Solytech (and others, including this one I guess) are all the same thing.

Thanks for the schematic!
                                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Sorry, I just can't let a good thread like this die. I got my hands on another Sky 550W-P4 unit, and, as well as load testing it, I put it on the oscilloscope. It failed after about 10 seconds at 250W load (no explosions this time though. I don't know what went wrong, but I don't care either), and at 200W, the ripple was out of spec on the 5 and 3.3v rails.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Was that with dead capacitors or brand new?
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X