Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with 820-00165, power button has to be held long to start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with 820-00165, power button has to be held long to start!

Hi Guys!

I have a 820-00165 that has some strange failure.

Runs with charger fine, charges battery.

The problem comes in without charger:
    If battery is attached can be started with power button until it boots into OS.
    After shutting down form os I have to press power button for 10secs to turn it on again. (Power pad does the same, so not a keyboard related problem!)
    If battery is removed then reconnected the board can be turned on with a short press like it should. (Until it goes to OS)

If charger is connected the power button is always working normally.

The machine can wake up from battery. However it seems to be it can not go to deep sleep, battery drains fast (goes flat in few days) if I just close the lid. Nothing was connected to the machine while it was in standby.

Tried another battery, different SSD... Now the board is on my desk, no display, no ssd is installed, OS is loaded from an external disk via USB.

As per an information found on other forum this "long press start" disables the SMC's AMON/BMON sensing function. I found no faulty parts yet.

U7100 looks fine current sensing resistors are intact and values are good.

Any idea? I am totally stuck!

Thanks in advance!
    Andras
    Best wishes,
    Andras

Re: Need help with 820-00165, power button has to be held long to start!

What is the history of the MBA Water Damage?

Comment

Indicators are white. No corrosion found, never washed with US cleaner. Smc was reflown, so repair attempted before with no success. When i got the board it was not turning on due to a missing rail. When powered on apple logo came up after 20-30 secs, at appr. 40 sec the board turned off. Froze when nvram reset done, but sometimes it was able to boot. Known good bios file, ME cleaned, serial matched, burnt on a tested eeprom, voila running great. Except for the battery mistery.
      Best wishes,
      Andras

Comment

Check the resistance of the R7121 and R7122 they should be Both 10 ohms and R7151 2.2ohms, R7152 O ohms
        Last edited by MobileXT; 01-26-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by colos85 View Post
          Indicators are white. No corrosion found, never washed with US cleaner. Smc was reflown, so repair attempted before with no success. When i got the board it was not turning on due to a missing rail. When powered on apple logo came up after 20-30 secs, at appr. 40 sec the board turned off. Froze when nvram reset done, but sometimes it was able to boot. Known good bios file, ME cleaned, serial matched, burnt on a tested eeprom, voila running great. Except for the battery mistery.
          Also check R7006 for resistance should be 4.7 ohms and D7005 for shorted

Comment

Hi MobileXT,

Thank you so much. All of them are checked and having correct values.
            Best wishes,
            Andras

Comment

Hi MobileXT,

Thank you so much. All of them are checked and having correct values.
              Sounds like SMC issue. Try run the built-in diagnostic tools. Power off the laptop and turn on while holding the D.

Comment

Hi MobileXT,

Apple diagnostics found nothing. I have replaced the SMC, known good one (year matches), same behavior. Why the issue comes on ONLY after booted at least to the login screen? What changes then?
                As per Istat menus the current values are correct compared to any other logic board. Could this be a corrupt EFI? Because it had to be changed previously... (cleaning done).

Thank you!
                Best wishes,
                Andras

Comment

[QUOTE=colos85;1020181]Hi MobileXT,

I have a logic board 820-00165 2017 model, it behaves exactly as you mentioned. If the MacBook air has booted to login screen, and shut down late on, then the only ways to turn it back on are either connecting the AC power cord, or by holding down 8-10 seconds if no ac power available.

If AC power is connected, the 820-00165 always turns on normal way by one touch on the power button.

I have tried reflowing SMC, loaded high sirerra, and then upgrade it to high sierra 10.13.6 (this means any EFI fix automatically if the EFI has been corrupted).

Tried the logic board in another chassis of MacBook air, no luck

Anybody has any ideas? all helps will be much appreciated!

Kind regards
                  David

Comment

Hi Andreas, have you found a solution for your 820-00165 problem? I have the same issue as yours. When with battery power, if the system shut down from OS, then I have to hold down power button for 8-10 seconds to turn it on. If battery disconnected, then reconnected, it can power on normally(one touch on the power on button). If the AC adaptor is connected, then it can always turn on normally.

if you have a solution for this, please let me know. I can do board level repairs.

Kind regards
                    david

Comment

Hi David,

I still have this board with the same problem. Unfortunately no solution yet. SMC replaced, as mentioned above, checked resistors around u7100, u5600/01... With the same values an other board is running fine.
                      Now I am trying to find if there is some power rail that remains on in a "lower" state. As I know If any usb/sd card is connected deep standby is forbidden. What I can imagine, if this happens BMON says too much current is taken in off/standby state, where that current value is impossible.
                      Sorry for the late reply, if I can find something let you know.

Regards, Andras
                      Best wishes,
                      Andras

Comment

Re: SOLVED! Need help with 820-00165, power button has to be held long to start!

Hi Guys! SOLVED!

U8020 has failed. I was measuring resistance around Q5510 and found that PM_SLP_SUS_L was at 1,5kohms. It should be around 80k to ground (value stolen from a known good 00165). Either q5510 or u8020. or pch...but I was lucky!

Thanks for the support!

Regards, Andras
                        Last edited by colos85; 02-28-2021, 02:04 PM. Reason: Problem solved!
                        Best wishes,
                        Andras

Comment

Re: SOLVED! Need help with 820-00165, power button has to be held long to start!

Hi Guys! SOLVED!

U8020 has failed. I was measuring resistance around Q5510 and found that PM_SLP_SUS_L was at 1,5kohms. It should be around 80k to ground (value stolen from a known good 00165). Either q5510 or u8020. or pch...but I was lucky!

Thanks for the support!

Regards, Andras
                          Thank you for letting me know. The MacBook logic board has been long gone, but I am sure the knowledge will help me in the future's repair.

Have a great New year!

Best regards,
                          David

Comment

Working...
                          X