Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-40WE663 Screen problem

Hi guys been a while but I am still here
    Latest project got this Sony 4K for £10 as not working, was told came to it one day and dead
    No Led light when plugged in no power, suspected power/led board, replaced with used part still no power so replaced mainboard, TV powered up and was perfect ???? however as the set warmed up the right hand side of the screen started to go lighter than the left and get patterns in the background.
    I think faulty mainboard, so ordered another mainboard from another seller, result exactly the same perfect picture when first on but as set warms right side of picture goes lighter maybe hazy and same pattern in picture.
    This set does not have a tcon board appears to be built in to the lvds board on the screen
    Anyone any ideas on a fix for this now, not looked at lvds/tcon board yet
    Not sure how well the pics will show the fault but will post some, bear in mind picture is perfect on a cold set
    Picture is also ok on the Sony picture test screen
    Hope someone has some ideas on this one
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-40WE663 Screen problem

I have now put a heatsink on to the big chip in the centre of the mainboard which I assume is the graphics chip, no difference picture still goes the same as it warms up

Comment

You could start with a factory reset but more than likely you need to update/pair the mainboard with the panel, check sonys site for the firmware but they aren't too good at keeping firmware up on their site for too long, so it might not be there.
      Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-10-2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply yes I have done a factory reset, and also done a firmware update which I got off the Sony support website.
        I have been thinking more about this tv since I posted and I was thinking to much of a coincidence that two mainboards have exactly the same problem, which leads me to suspect a fault on the built in tcon. however what I can not work out is how is the built in sony picture test showing ok, surely that must come from the mainboard software making it not a problem with the tcon or screen panel

Comment

Have you try cooling the integrated T-CON to see if it has any effect?
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Did you update the firmware on the board that showed the patterns or just the second one that you bought?

Comment

Hi thanks for the replies I shall try warming and cooling the tcon????
              I did the firmware update on the second mainboard, however the picture fault was / is exactly the same on both boards

Comment

I agree no more sonys for me either, built in tcon whatever next

Comment

Not sure but my old sony did the pattern thing til I updated it, when I changed mainboards.

Comment

I will refit first replacement mainboard and update firmware on it

Comment

when you play the test jpg you don't have any issue as long the picture displayed.. but when you are using another source signal this happened at the right side of the LCD::: IF THIS CORRECT: YES then
                      yours LVDS depth setting at the replacements main boards didn't match.. this could be changed only at service menu.

Comment

Hi yes the built in sony test picture seems to display ok
                        Display fault seems to appear whe using tv through antenna signal and playing youtube etc through built in wifi and app

Comment

pics of lvds / tcon
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Diah is it possible for me to alter the Lvds depth setting?

Comment

Think I may have found a possible cause
                              Picture is of the original dead mainboard looking at the numbers on this board the last two numbers on the replacement boards are different
                              So I have 22 original and 21 and 24 on the replacements
                              I ordered boards by Model number of the tv
                              Do you guys think this is the problem ??
                              If it is schoolboy error by me
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by willday View Post
                                Hi Diah is it possible for me to alter the Lvds depth setting?
                                Think I may have found a possible cause
                                Not a possible but exact causes. here we have LVDS depth don't match.
                                please don't hurry... because the different time between me and this forum ,,, upload focused picture on replacement and original MB, and explain with easy long detail what was the fault with original MB. so we could find the best and easy way to solve it.

Comment

Hi thanks for that here are the two pictures of the mainboards the original mainboard and the replacement mainboard, the replacement mainboard is the one with the heatsink fitted that I put on.
                                  Fault with original board was a completely dead set, no front panel led, no response from remote or on off switch
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I don't know about this TV, but this is what I could find comparing the two images. It's mostly some capacitors missing on your new board, but there are some 0 OHM resistors and inductors positioning that may enable or disable some circuit.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Biruslapio View Post
                                      this is what I could find comparing the two images.
                                      good work Biruslapio.. not only what you marked.. but the most important was the NAND, ORG. was from south Korean hynix the other TAIWANESE
                                      this tell us allot.. since we don't know the source of the replacement boards

Hi thanks for that here are the two pictures of the mainboards the original mainboard and the replacement mainboard, the replacement mainboard is the one with the heatsink fitted that I put on.
                                      Fault with original board was a completely dead set, no front panel led, no response from remote or on off switch
                                      you need to start with detective work. log in the service menu to see this boards belong to which series model / size
                                      don't change any value just shoot photos always to hold the values on hand

Comment

Entered into Sony Service menu, board is showing correct tv model KDL-40WE663
                                        Many many settings to look at and possibly change, but I would not know which ones I may need to change or what to change a setting to

Comment

Working...
                                        X