X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Originally posted by Junk Parts View Post
    Yesterday my son found and almost new 6.75 hp self propelled Craftman lawnmower sitting next to a dumpster. The crank shaft is bent a little. I think I have a used shaft that will fit it.
    A week or so ago he found a Hp Pavilion ze5700 Lappy in the trash bin. It hasn't got a hard drive in it. As soon as I find a power cord for it I'll see if it will post. I would bet that this Lappy is toast but you never know. The screen and case do not look to be cracked or broken.
    I was given an exact HP lappy like yours a while ago for free! it was pronounced as dead and not working by its previous user. Went home and cracked it open... and guess what? cracked solder joints where the DC power plug was. Once that was fixed, it ran smooth till this day without any problems.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

streamlight strion flashlight with charger.carlot i fix stuff for had it in a pile of metal for recycling.asked if they were tossing it.yeah battery pack costs too much.picked it up and 1 18650 later its good as new.took an instrument cluster back to them on the way home and used it to get their attention.was dark and they were closed but still in the back.yeah it figures you would get it working.what else do you expect?i fix this crap!how hard is it to rebuild a battery pack when you have cells on hand?

Comment

A Voodoo video card in an old Apple desktop. An hour later it was on eBay, and a week later it was on a flight to Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts View Post
          Yesterday my son found and almost new 6.75 hp self propelled Craftman lawnmower sitting next to a dumpster. The crank shaft is bent a little. I think I have a used shaft that will fit it.
          A week or so ago he found a Hp Pavilion ze5700 Lappy in the trash bin. It hasn't got a hard drive in it. As soon as I find a power cord for it I'll see if it will post. I would bet that this Lappy is toast but you never know. The screen and case do not look to be cracked or broken.
          Check the flywheel key, they are designed to shear and allow the flywheel to spin, rather than shear the crank. The crank is not likely so bent as to keep the engine from running.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
            More free caps! Intel 440BX-2: 7x3300uF 10V Chemicon LXZ capacitors!
            0.03 esr 1950 ripple, 7000hrs endurance
            Those would be great for PSU use. The 12.5 mm diameter makes them a bit hard to use in most PSUs, though. I have a similar 440BX motherboard with 25v, 2200uF Panasonic FCs.

Comment

The engine runs just fine. The crank is bent a little. There is a tool sold to straightening these little cranks. I just may buy one. Every summer we find good mowers that people will give you for free because they have hit something and bent the cranks in them. I also got his Perfectly good $50 riding mower running again yesterday. All it needed was a new coil which I already had here. I used it to cut my grass and it did a fine job of it.
              "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
              Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
              John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
              Rod Serling

Comment

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Got an HP Photosmart C4680 Printer. Included ink and USB cable too... for free!

Comment

Back in 2008, found a HP Pavilion computer. Pentium 4 3GHz w/ HT, 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD, fully functional. VERY DUSTY

Comment

I saved that thing from recycling. Some of you may think it was not worth it.

Gigabyte Ga-6vx7b-4x (VT82C694X) motherboard, Pentium 3 800MHZ, 640mb SDRAM (not seen in picture), S3 Trio AGP, 100Mbps Lan PCi, 40GB WD 7200 IDE (not in photo). Everything works without problems.
                    Attached Files

Comment

nice case. i have the sidesaddle version for my server.... enlight makes good cases.

the rest isnt bad... have fun!
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Gigabyte Ga-6vx7b-4x (VT82C694X) motherboard, Pentium 3 800MHZ, 640mb SDRAM (not seen in picture), S3 Trio AGP, 100Mbps Lan PCi, 40GB WD 7200 IDE (not in photo). Everything works without problems.
                        No shame in that!!! I'd snatch that thing in a SECOND. If you just get a PCI Sata card, then that would be a very qualified and, might I add, power efficient file server I have a Kill-a-watt and a Slot 1 700MHz P3 computer idled at around 15 watts

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                          No shame in that!!! I'd snatch that thing in a SECOND. If you just get a PCI Sata card, then that would be a very qualified and, might I add, power efficient file server I have a Kill-a-watt and a Slot 1 700MHz P3 computer idled at around 15 watts
                          sounds like my server from the post before... it has a p3 800mhz and a pata hw raid card... runs on debian, no gui.
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            sounds like my server from the post before... it has a p3 800mhz and a pata hw raid card... runs on debian, no gui.
                            That is awesome. I'm sure it does a great job!

Comment

Two nice things about the GA-6VX7B-4X:

According to its manual, it accepts ECC memory - my GA-6VXC7-4X-P works happily with 1gb of PC133R ECC memory

It has an ISA slot
                              better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Finally got the 21" Sony FD Trinitron E540 CRT monitor we had at work!
                                Well, I haven't brought it to my house yet since I don't have any room and I'm pretty sure my parents will kick me out if they see me bringing another CRT monitor. So instead I just replaced the 19" Dell LCD that was on my desk at work with this beast. Once I clear some space in my room to hide another monitor (lol), I'll probably bring it home. But for the time being, I'll be using it at work.

I didn't get to play too much with it today, but the colors looked much better than the other E540 we had. Anyways, the only problem with this monitor is that the AR coating on the top of the monitor is badly damaged with 2 very deep scratches. Looks like I'll have to remove the AR coating. But other than that, it works great. It even syncs up to 2048x1536 resolution! (Not that I'll use anything that high.)

I also got a Logitech M-S69 ball mouse for free from work. It was missing the ball and the ball door latch, but I took one from another mouse I had and I'm happily using it right now (will be trying it out in Counter-Strike in a few moments).

Yes, I know it's only a ball mouse, but these old Logitech ball mice are actually pretty accurate and much better than any other ball mice IMO. I find them even better than most cheap optical ones. The M-S69 feels almost the same as the M-S34, but it's a newer model so it's more round and has a scroll wheel.

Last but not least, I got a another Dell battery for my school laptop and also another floppy drive. Hope the battery works. I'll be picking it up next week + lots more stuff probably, since we are cleaning the storage room. I doubt there will be any computers, but I hope to get some VGA cables and some old keyboards (they are all nice quality ones, like Dell QuietKey).

Comment

That's more or less equivalent to my computers which I use daily. Definitely worth it. Just swap the S3 Trio AGP for something better. On a system like that with a better video card, you can even run some older games without a problem, like Mafia, NFS Underground, and some others from that era. 640 MB or RAM is pretty decent too.

Comment

This morning I was looking on Newegg for some good deals on a 17"-19" LCD. Well I didn't buy one (too expensive, I decided)...

this afternoon I see a Sharp 17" LCD sitting in the apartment complex's free pile... and it works great!

Comment

Not bad. I got my 22' for free with bad cap x on (autocorrect wouldn't let me spell it with one word) Greatly Lame GL series. $2 or so with of panny FCs fixed it right up, and it's been going strong ever since. I've aquired a few 17' monitors this way too.
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Not technically dumpster finds, but here's what I've recently salvaged from scrap/goody piles at computer recycling shops:

Successfully Repaired:
                                        - Asus M2V-MX Socket AM2 motherboard (had blown/broken KZG caps. Replaced all KZG with Rubycon MBZ and MCZ, and now I have a nice decent dual-core system again!! Didn't touch the Toshin Kogyo caps, but I'll keep an eye on them)
                                        - OEM/Asus P4S266-VM (had a broken *Rubycon* cap IIRC. I also had originally gotten the board to use as a cap donor, but later decided to return it back to working status. After replacing caps with Chemicon KZE and one *gack* Teapo due to lack of appropriately-valued caps, I now have a nice working guest room computer)
                                        - Epox Socket 7 board (no noticeable cap problems, works with my IBM 6x86MX but has a weird reset issue. I'll work it out later)
                                        - OEM GeForce 7300 PCIe video card (had a blown KZG... swapped with Ruby MCZ. It works fine in Windows, but has what appear to be minor firmware-related issues. Will sort later.)
                                        - OEM GeForce 9300GE PCIe video card (had no heatsink and a blown G-Luxon:puke: Swapped with a Chemicon A-series polymer, added a heatsink taken from a dead S478 board, and now my dual-core has a real video card.)

Currently Working On:
                                        - E-VGA GeForce 6200 AGP video card (had a miserable bunch of Sacons, need I say more? Also had two resistors broken off the chip, but after probing with multimeter I discovered they were just very low resistance jumpers anyway, so I just soldered over the broken parts. I still need caps to finish the job, 1000uf 6.3v... will wait till tomorrow or soon to get more donor boards as well as a heatsink for it)

No Such Luck :
                                        - Biostar Socket 7 board
                                        The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

I got so lucky that time! I got all these things from the "to be recycled" pile of the university!

IntelĀ® Desktop Board D925XECV2
                                          GA-8IPE1000 PRO2
                                          ASUS P4B
                                          D845WN
                                          1 more intel 440bx board like that: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=194
                                          some P4 Cpus
                                          SONY DVD Rom and PLEXTOR CD RW
                                          WD 120GB Sata
                                          some fans
                                          Antec SmartPower 450W
                                          a full PC (AMD Duron 966MHZ, Elite mb, 512MB Sdram, Geforce2MX200, 40GB HDD,DVD Rom & CD Rom)
                                          and more..

I don't know if they are in working condition, but I bet that I will get sparkles if I try to power the Antec, just like this:
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8385
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X