Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Funny people -or- "C2Ds are junk"

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
    As I'd rather not hijack the other thread, I'll just start another...

Oh, I love it! That netburst slug of a dell wasn't even worth 3k in 2003!

Five years ago, I was able to "convince" someone to take a higher-end P3 over their flaky ASUS Presshot, whose MB was "run over by a Deer." And you know what? That 700 MHz P3 made a fine example of itself- far better than that stupid "casemod" heap of trash.

The "lower ranks" of dregslist are most certainly "up there" with the worst on ebay. Yes- they want top dollar for outdated scrap metal, "because we paid 3k back in '03." These people need to go away, and stop insulting those who know their stuff.

Or, you'll have someone with a Deer in a not-often-used computer. I always have to deal with, "We don't use it much, don't worry about it now." Those caps are getting worse, not better. And it's not just the caps, if ya know what I mean... Don't call me, call worst buy.

Now that's not very nice- they'll have to go on failbook and let their tears flow! "They got cheated- today on Maury."

In that case, you actually get something for your effort- parts you can use, etc.

People around here have a stigma lately, about used computers. It's almost as bad as "trendy girls" and used clothes. Soon, I5s will be "worthless" around here.

Hey, Shovenose! You're lucky that you are able to refurb and sell some of your stuff! And you're even more lucky that, for the most part, you are well-received and not blown off by your "customers." Just work on your shipping! You are in a good position where your skills could really work in your favor. Just don't get involved with too much, too quickly- you'll lose your mind.

Similar "war stories" or comments welcome...

Have a nice day.
    -Paul
    Well, I'm glad you seemed to like my post! :p

Comment

Originally posted by ncovert View Post
      Well, I'm glad you seemed to like my post! :p
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
        If 8 is better than 7, then 98 must be even better.
        Of course! The higher the number, the better (in that regard, nothing can beat Windows 2000 - which is true actually ).

From about '03 to late '08, my main 'puter was a 2GHz presshot with 512MB of several speeds over time, running on an Intel 865 MB. This had win98 withouth any trace of internet explorer.
        It's 2013 and I am posting this message from a 850 MHz P3 laptop with 512 MB of RAM. This is my school laptop, BTW. Next to it is my desktop - Dell OptiPlex 170L with 2.8 GHz P4 Prescott and 1.2 GB of RAM. For monitor, I have a "classic", as my roommate calls it - Dell (Sony) Trinitron D1626HT 21" CRT. Any homework typing is done on a old beige Dell "QuietKey" keyboard and the finished results are printed by a HP LaserJet 2100 .

Oh yeah... wireless in my room is provided by a D-Link DI-614+ 802.11b router. Most of my friends laugh when they hear it's only a wireless-b router (the ones that don't laugh is because they don't even know what it is ). My roommates, however, don't laugh for a different reason - the wireless-n in the dorms sucks so badly that they actually prefer to use my "slow" wireless-b.

So much for newer is better.

I was a stubborn holdout, that's for sure.
        I am too. But I don't think that's such a bad thing in the computer world.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          Of course! The higher the number, the better (in that regard, nothing can beat Windows 2000 - which is true actually ).
          Even Bill Gates agrees

http://www.techspot.com/gallery/memb...e-through.html
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

How's the repair/reformat/resell "market" look where you are, Mockingbird? It "soitenly" can't be any worse than it is here!
            Not too good... I've come across two HPs that have been brought in for repair for freezing. One was a 945 platform (Though with the newer VRM that can handle C2D), and one was a AM2 but with a single core Athlon or Sempron...

In both cases, I stood initially to make an extra buck by buying some inexpensive dual core replacement CPUs and a little extra ram, but I was stifled by the fact that HP opted to use 20-pin ATX PSUs with the 24-pin motherboards. I didn't want to risk overburdening the 6 year old or so PSUs. Factoring in the cost of a new PSU, the customers just weren't interested in the the upgrades.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
              ..., but I was stifled by the fact that HP opted to use 20-pin ATX PSUs with the 24-pin motherboards. I didn't want to risk overburdening the 6 year old or so PSUs.
              Oh yes, typical HP... It's probably not a problem, though. RAM really doesn't use that much, and its supply is usually derived from the 3.3V bus, at least that's what I've seen on anything remotely recent. And as I'm sure you know, CPU power (via buck converter) never even goes through the ATX connector (ATX 12V.)

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
              Factoring in the cost of a new PSU, the customers just weren't interested in the the upgrades.
              Save those power cables from junk supplies. On any motherboards that are bad, even heating with a low torch flame will drop those female ATX connectors out in seconds. You can easily make up adapters or extensions. Premade ones also exist. If the molex contacts on the existing power supply are in good shape, I have no problem using those adapters.

For monitor, I have a "classic", as my roommate calls it - Dell (Sony) Trinitron D1626HT 21" CRT. Any homework typing is done on a old beige Dell "QuietKey" keyboard and the finished results are printed by a HP LaserJet 2100 .
              Keep these. Especially the printer- that's a "real" HP, before the woman-in-a-mansuit buyout, circa 2002.
              Last edited by kaboom; 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Yea, it probably would have worked, but what about the extra strain and heat? If these PSUs are already partially defective, which I imagine they probably were (I think they were both full of Teapo SEK) they may work well enough at low loads (I also forgot to mention that the 945 system was using a single core 775 P4). Anything more demanding and they would conk out in no time and I'd be liable to the customer (Not in the mood of doing free PSU re-capping).
                [quote]
                Keep these. Especially the printer- that's a "real" HP, before the woman-in-a-mansuit buyout, circa 2002.
                Good one... I found an AIO 3200m on the curb years ago, I still have the thing sitting around. Works perfectly, just need to take it apart to get a tiny piece of glass stuck inside the scanner sensor mechanism...
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Yeah, I really like that printer. Easy to access everything. I may get some RAM for it in the future too. It has a 4 MB stick installed and 2 other free slots. And the drivers?... What drivers? I just plug it in and XP installs it in 2 seconds. Now this is truly Plug and Play .

That 21" CRT monitor may be starting to go bad, though:
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...396#post316396
                  Ideas?

Comment

Ideas?
                    I replied there.
                    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Ideas?
                      ...and I thought I was the last person to give up my CRT...I ran my trinitron 24" FD 16:10 until 2007, when I got tired of it bowing my desk and the lights dimming like a Frankenstein movie everytime I turned it on.... By then, the LCD technology had evolved enough that a large high res LCD wasn't that expensive anymore, and I said goodbye to my CRT. FWIW, I still have the above-mentioned CRT triniton in the attic, in working condition. I just can't bring myself to part with it.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom
                        I replied there.
                        Thanks, it actually helped a lot.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        ...and I thought I was the last person to give up my CRT...
                        Nope. There are still a few of use CRT "nuts" on this forum (myself included) who still use CRTs daily. I know The_uN1Qu3 still does. Maybe lti as well.

I just brought back from home another CRT to my dorm - this time a 17" Dell D1025HTX (i.e. another Sony Trinitron). I don't intend to use it all that much due to the small screen, but if my 21" croaks, I will. I rather use a 17" CRT than a 19" LCD .

Originally posted by Topcat
                        FWIW, I still have the above-mentioned CRT triniton in the attic, in working condition. I just can't bring myself to part with it.
                        Good.
                        I think a decade (or maybe a bit more) down the road, it may fetch you some good money. They are already rare as it is. By then, they will be getting closer to vintage and very rare status.

Comment

I still use the 15" Sony CRT. I don't use it daily, though. It is connected to my gaming computer. It is my only CRT monitor, but my dad thinks that I must have several dozen dead ones just because I have one that works. He expects me to throw "all those dozens of dead CRT monitors" away and replace them with those $89 widescreen LCD monitors from Walmart. He also wants me to throw away my good USB mouse just because it is white.

I don't see how LCD monitors save as much space as people claim. You might be able to place things behind the monitor if you switch to an LCD, but people act like the LCD monitor will allow you to use a little end table as a computer desk when you would need a real computer desk just to hold the CRT monitor and still have to put the computer on the floor because there isn't enough space on the desk.

Comment

I don't see how LCD monitors save as much space as people claim. You might be able to place things behind the monitor if you switch to an LCD, but people act like the LCD monitor will allow you to use a little end table as a computer desk when you would need a real computer desk just to hold the CRT monitor and still have to put the computer on the floor because there isn't enough space on the desk.
                            Don't forget that they're lighter, too! I mean, everyone moves their monitor at least twice per day, right?

"pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

I don't see how LCD monitors save as much space as people claim.
                              Well, they do in the sense that if you have a normal sized desk, you'll be able to put some documents/books/papers in front of the monitor rather than have the CRT take all of that space and not be able to put anything in front of it.

But I'm willing to trade that for their reliability and good colors and contrast.

Comment

That's true if you have a really crappy desk with a solid back panel instead of an open space to allow the monitor to stick out the back. However, people only talk about LCD monitors saving space because they have smaller bezels.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                  ...and I thought I was the last person to give up my CRT...I ran my trinitron 24" FD 16:10 until 2007, when I got tired of it bowing my desk and the lights dimming like a Frankenstein movie everytime I turned it on.... By then, the LCD technology had evolved enough that a large high res LCD wasn't that expensive anymore, and I said goodbye to my CRT. FWIW, I still have the above-mentioned CRT triniton in the attic, in working condition. I just can't bring myself to part with it.
                                  same year i finaly got a LCD. ran win xp till around 2011 and finaly got some newer hardware. a few trades later and i ended up with a AMD A4 3300 APU and a gigabyte motherboard.
                                  My Computer.
                                  AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                                  Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                                  Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                                  500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                                  1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                                  2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Core 2 Duo's are great except maybe the ones with 2MB cache. I use one to play Titan Quest on and browse the internet sometimes and it works great. They run nice and cool too!!! We still sell them used here at work and they sell very well

Comment

Working...
                                    X