Funny people -or- "C2Ds are junk"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny people -or- "C2Ds are junk"

As I'd rather not hijack the other thread, I'll just start another...

Originally posted by ncovert View Post
    What you say about not being able to give away a C2D is true. People here are so gullible, that if they buy a TOL state-of-the-art computer, and the next day they see a new ad for a new thing, they will immediately buy THAT system and then hang on to their old one for ten years, then they will put it on craigslist for $100 firm and claim the reason is "they paid $3,000 dollars for it in 2003."
    Oh, I love it! That netburst slug of a dell wasn't even worth 3k in 2003!

Five years ago, I was able to "convince" someone to take a higher-end P3 over their flaky ASUS Presshot, whose MB was "run over by a Deer." And you know what? That 700 MHz P3 made a fine example of itself- far better than that stupid "casemod" heap of trash.

The "lower ranks" of dregslist are most certainly "up there" with the worst on ebay. Yes- they want top dollar for outdated scrap metal, "because we paid 3k back in '03." These people need to go away, and stop insulting those who know their stuff.

Or, you'll have someone with a Deer in a not-often-used computer. I always have to deal with, "We don't use it much, don't worry about it now." Those caps are getting worse, not better. And it's not just the caps, if ya know what I mean... Don't call me, call worst buy.

Then a few days later, I am going through town, and I spot it on the curb. So, we stop, I get out and throw it in the trunk, and we go home.
    Now that's not very nice- they'll have to go on failbook and let their tears flow! "They got cheated- today on Maury."

Then it ends up in a million pieces scattered through boxes, and then ir collects dust until I get off my lazy butt and test it, then put the thing back together and find some random or obscure use for it.
    *end of rant, sorry to hijack*
    In that case, you actually get something for your effort- parts you can use, etc.

People around here have a stigma lately, about used computers. It's almost as bad as "trendy girls" and used clothes. Soon, I5s will be "worthless" around here.

Hey, Shovenose! You're lucky that you are able to refurb and sell some of your stuff! And you're even more lucky that, for the most part, you are well-received and not blown off by your "customers." Just work on your shipping! You are in a good position where your skills could really work in your favor. Just don't get involved with too much, too quickly- you'll lose your mind.

Similar "war stories" or comments welcome...

Have a nice day.
    -Paul
    Last edited by kaboom; 02-15-2013, 02:26 PM.
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Re: Funny people -or- "C2Ds are junk"

Intel chips have a much better resale value than AMD chips...

C2Ds still sell very well - in fact I've been trying to get one myself so I can test some motherboards... Right now I'm still stuck with the Pentium D. You want the models with the higher cache, like the E6xxx or the E8xxx. The quad core Core2 CPUs go from anywhere between $50 to $200~, depending on the model. The Q6600 can even be bought used for $40. Then come the Q9xxx (Q8xxx is not better than Q6xxx with perhaps one exception), which come with either 6MB or 12MB cache. If you can get a 12MB Q9xxx, jump on it. So far, the lowest I've seen one going for is $100.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      Intel chips have a much better resale value than AMD chips...
      I think part of this is a holdover from the KT266/400 days, when AMD systems were associated with lower stability. Not the CPU's fault, but the 'quirky' chipsets'.

Would you agree?

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      If you can get a 12MB Q9xxx, jump on it. So far, the lowest I've seen one going for is $100.
      Those are/were winners! As I'm getting out of "computers for others," I'd probably have to get one surplus. People don't put their 'puters on the curb anymore here, thanks to "Fast Eddie's (Rendell)" selling PA out on "The (e-waste) Act." No comment on that.

How's the repair/reformat/resell "market" look where you are, Mockingbird? It "soitenly" can't be any worse than it is here!
      Last edited by kaboom; 02-15-2013, 03:53 PM.
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Yeah, C2Ds are worthless, and then they replace it with a $250 laptop from Walmart and wonder why it is slower than the old "worthless" computer. They want a laptop because it is portable, but it sits in exactly the same spot on the desk for its entire (very short) life and never runs on battery.

I have an old 17" LCD monitor that needs a new power supply (I can't figure out what is wrong with the old one). I keep getting told to throw it away and buy one of those $89 18.5" widescreen monitors. They're better because they're widescreen, even though their native resolution is lower than the old 17". 1366x768 is so much better than 1280x1024.

I have the same problem with people expecting a lot of money for old junk. I haven't seen anyone selling a used computer that is less than then years old or cost less than $50.

Comment

I got insulted a few days ago on leboncoin.fr (similar as craiglist), where some guy was selling some old dead laptops, not much info about them, except there wasn't much left inside and they were not working, with the typical "make offer" at the end of the ad. Well the guy didn't like my offer for the oldest laptop (8 years old Pentium M VAIO).
          I detest those "make offer" ads, the sellers ALWAYS know better than you what the price of their junk is.

And yeah, those Core 2 Duo are still sought after and pricy, I got my E6300 in a lot of fairly recent components for a bargain, and the E8200 was in a Packard Bell computer in the dump (that I sold quickly after) but I got lucky on those.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
            They want a laptop because it is portable, but it sits in exactly the same spot on the desk for its entire (very short) life and never runs on battery.
            And the heatsink/fan, smaller 'cause it's a laptop, clogs up sooner. Hence, speed throttling, on top of the usual speed penalties of steam, spyware/malware, toolbars, itunes, AD-obe, java/oracle, etc.

I have an old 17" LCD monitor that needs a new power supply (I can't figure out what is wrong with the old one). I keep getting told to throw it away and buy one of those $89 18.5" widescreen monitors.
            I had a spare LCD, sans ext. power supply, with a better panel than the one I was using for my main computer. I took the nicer panel and put it into my main display, saved the backlights, and junked the rest.

They're better because they're widescreen, even though their native resolution is lower than the old 17". 1366x768 is so much better than 1280x1024.
            Just as netbooks are "better" because they're smaller and less powerful.

I have the same problem with people expecting a lot of money for old junk. I haven't seen anyone selling a used computer that is less than then years old or cost less than $50.
            Amazing, isn't it? You're better off parting it out- you'd probably get double for just a good power supply. If not, the sheepish crowd is truly lost.

I'm posting from my rescued Inspiron 1720, slated for the trash, only because it was a best buy demo with the vista virus. It sold for over $600 back in '06, and was quickly "un-appreciated." Upgraded it to XP pro, and it's all good!

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
            I got insulted a few days ago on leboncoin.fr (similar as craiglist), where some guy was selling some old dead laptops, not much info about them, except there wasn't much left inside and they were not working, with the typical "make offer" at the end of the ad. Well the guy didn't like my offer for the oldest laptop (8 years old Pentium M VAIO).
            I detest those "make offer" ads, the sellers ALWAYS know better than you what the price of their junk is.
            Mixed scrap price sounds good to me.

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
            And yeah, those Core 2 Duo are still sought after and pricy, I got my E6300 in a lot of fairly recent components for a bargain, and the E8200 was in a Packard Bell computer in the dump (that I sold quickly after) but I got lucky on those.
            Now you made a mistake- those people know better than you. The PB "had a bad hard drive." Or, "I just can't figure it out- it must be old." "It's new- must be better." New, and complete with win-dozer 8.

I never understood why people act so surprised when their "old" computer becomes a marathon runner after an FDISK and reinstall. It's not "mysterious," for crying out loud.
            Last edited by kaboom; 02-15-2013, 04:38 PM.
            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

today i'm upgrading a old womans P4 3.06 (775) with a C2D E6600. I actually got a Q6600 on Ebay for $58. But used that in my gaming ox (had a 6750 @ 3.2). Borderlands2 plays tons better now. I put my 6750 in my multimedia box, and took that E6600 and am selling it to her for half of what the Q6600 costs. Her main problem was ram (1 gig), but shes getting a bigger and faster hard drive, new intel MB ($49 in ebay, that supports DDR3). Really with XP, its going to be fast enough to take on anything but medium detailed games cause of the integrated intel G41 (GMA X4500). Still, for 'using word', it should be more than enough. Her current one has tons of shit loaded on startup, and her hard drive is 75% full, I did what I could with that, but its still a problem. This can at least put her on a win7 upgrade path later on
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                And the heatsink/fan, smaller 'cause it's a laptop, clogs up sooner. Hence, speed throttling, on top of the usual speed penalties of steam, spyware/malware, toolbars, itunes, AD-obe, java/oracle, etc.
                On top of all that, they are using the $250 Walmart Special with the 1GHz processor and 1GB of RAM trying to run Windows 8. My mom wanted to buy one of those, but the 1GHz Celeron running Windows XP that she currently uses would be faster.

That reminds me that I need to get rid of the Toshiba crap on my laptop. I still have all of it installed, and all it does is drain the battery. I keep that crap off the older computers (like the old Pentium 4 that my parents still use). My dad's laptop still has all of the factory bloatware, including McAfee and the NVIDIA Control Panel. It has a C2D and 2GB of RAM running Windows XP, but it takes several minutes to boot.
                I had a spare LCD, sans ext. power supply, with a better panel than the one I was using for my main computer. I took the nicer panel and put it into my main display, saved the backlights, and junked the rest.
                I think I will just get a universal inverter board and a 5V regulator and run the monitor off an external power supply. The power supply for that old 17" monitor from 2006 is still $30.
                Last edited by lti; 02-15-2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Oh, do I ever get "C2D's are junk horsehit from my classmates.

They think I'm a noob because I use a Dell latitude D630 with a C2D... It gets called a "piece of trash", dinosaur", and "stinky turd" by them daily. Up theirs.

They also thought it was from '05, which is a few years off. Yeah, it looks old... but ancient it is not.

Surprisingly my slightly older HP Dv6800 didn't get any hate... it looks newer but it's actually the same age if not 6-12 months older. Yup, more proof that they're retards.

Even worse is the hate I get for my Twin Xeon rig because it's not x64 and uses AGP. Oh, and that it isn't LED'd, watercooled, and riced. They can go screw themselves... they should be happy I gave a free PSU lookover when one of their $35 cheapass apevia units blew up (350W rebadged as a "750W", I have pics somewhere of the turd).

Besides, unlike their ASUS shitboxes, my xeon rig will last longer than 5 years.. oh wait, parts of mine have 10 years on them so far (mainboard and CPU, possibly RAM). And I have a good feeling they have at least another 10 years left. Good luck getting 20 years out of an ASUS.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I don't get that very often around here. You can still sell a refurbished C2D PC with XP for around $300. I've had the odd "You should upgrade to Windows 7" comment, but that's about it.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

They think I'm a noob because I use a Dell latitude D630 with a C2D... It gets called a "piece of trash", dinosaur", and "stinky turd" by them daily. Up theirs.
                      I used to use several Compaq (real compaq) LTE5400s. I ran them 'til they got unstable from the poor connections/broken joints that resulted from flexing.

Surprisingly my slightly older HP Dv6800 didn't get any hate... it looks newer but it's actually the same age if not 6-12 months older. Yup, more proof that they're retards.
                      That's 'cause "hp" is cool, but "HP" is not. You wanna know what's retarded, RD? All this "rounded corners and lowercase letters" bullshit. As well as failbook!
                      (couldn't help myself)

Even worse is the hate I get for my Twin Xeon rig because it's not x64 and uses AGP. Oh, and that it isn't LED'd, watercooled, and riced. They can go screw themselves... they should be happy I gave a free PSU lookover when one of their $35 cheapass apevia units blew up (350W rebadged as a "750W", I have pics somewhere of the turd).
                      Well, when I was in high school, everyone wanted a dual Xeon! Everyone!

You should've let them, uh, "donate" that power supply to you. You could've shown who's boss by rebuilding it "properly." LED fans, clear side cases, gawdy plastic fronts, etc, are worse on computers than rear spoilers are on FWD cars...

Besides, unlike their ASUS shitboxes, my xeon rig will last longer than 5 years.. oh wait, parts of mine have 10 years on them so far (mainboard and CPU, possibly RAM). And I have a good feeling they have at least another 10 years left. Good luck getting 20 months out of an ASUS.
                      Fixed that for ya!

Don't let 'em get on your nerves...
                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                        I don't get that very often around here. You can still sell a refurbished C2D PC with XP for around $300. I've had the odd "You should upgrade to Windows 7" comment, but that's about it.
                        I've watched aussie50's videos for awhile now. A "different attitude" prevails. He never seems to have trouble selling used LCD TVs, even if he puts time/parts into them, despite the fact that they're "used." Heck, I'm always hearing about how "someone's lined up to buy this."

Which brings me to this: We hear how people work so damn hard to be able to get what they want. Then, in the US, why are they so spastically quick to trash it (while still on the CC), and "embrace" the newer, lousier piece of junk??

If Americans are this fickle, wasteful, "competitive" with their neighbors about what they posess, then I sure ain't one of 'em!
                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

I used to use several Compaq (real compaq) LTE5400s. I ran them 'til they got unstable from the poor connections/broken joints that resulted from flexing.
                          Weren't those the little white Pentium units with trackballs in the side of the lid? My dad used to have one... it died many years ago. I still have the battery too (probably toast, it was aftermarket and it's over 7 years old).

You should've let them, uh, "donate" that power supply to you. You could've shown who's boss by rebuilding it "properly." LED fans, clear side cases, gawdy plastic fronts, etc, are worse on computers than rear spoilers are on FWD cars...
                          He offered $10 to buy it actually... and the PSU was LED and had windows! So you could see how shitty it was w/o voiding the warranty?

(If he offered $5 or less I'd have parted it out...)
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

They also thought it was from '05, which is a few years off. Yeah, it looks old... but ancient it is not.

I guess they think Lenovo laptops are junk because they look "boring." They might actually be junk, just like most new laptops, but not because of how they look.

I don't hear anything like that about my Gateway Solo 2500 that still runs Windows 98 and is held together with JB Weld. People don't even complain when its insanely loud fan starts running, even though the only to make the fan stop running is to turn the computer off. It has a Pentium II running at 333MHz.

Everyone is upgrading to Windows 8, though. I see people at college upgrading to Windows 8.

If 8 is better than 7, then 98 must be even better.

Comment

Weren't those the little white Pentium units with trackballs in the side of the lid? My dad used to have one... it died many years ago. I still have the battery too (probably toast, it was aftermarket and it's over 7 years old).
                              Those evolved from the 4/xx line. I didn't know those stayed around into the pentium years... The 4/xx had built-in power supplies and a two wire line cord.

But I did have a Compaq 4/75 back in the day. Complete with the neat little trackball...

He offered $10 to buy it actually... and the PSU was LED and had windows! So you could see how shitty it was w/o voiding the warranty? (If he offered $5 or less I'd have parted it out...)
                              That's funny. I bet those didn't sell well, one look -through- the side was all it took.
                              Attached Files
                              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

If 8 is better than 7, then 98 must be even better.

From about '03 to late '08, my main 'puter was a 2GHz presshot with 512MB of several speeds over time, running on an Intel 865 MB. This had win98 withouth any trace of internet explorer.

Positively. None.

But, as things got more complicated/sophisticated, the limitations of "legacy windows" became painfully obvious.

I was a stubborn holdout, that's for sure.
                                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...

Comment

Besides, unlike their ASUS shitboxes, my xeon rig will last longer than 5 years.. oh wait, parts of mine have 10 years on them so far (mainboard and CPU, possibly RAM). And I have a good feeling they have at least another 10 years left. Good luck getting 20 years out of an ASUS.

What school are you in ! Get out of here !
                                  Seriously, even in my fashion design school where everything with an apple was the only thing worth it and PCs were utter crap, I didn't get any particular comment about my old scratched laptops found in the dump. Yeah I was making a better job with them than most of my classmates who'd spent 2000€ in their laptops, and quicker, but still I even saved a friend during the jury at the end of the three years cos her computer crashed. Pentium M are still pretty good !

Comment

yea in case u didnt know, the pentium m was actually the predecessor of the core 2 series. the pentium m is roughly 90-100% faster than the pentium 4 clock for clock according to some benchmarks i did.

Comment

If you want to see silliness, look at the best-selling keyboards and computer speakers on Amazon. People actually buy keyboards with a touchpad where the 10-key pad should be for use on their desktop computer that they just "upgraded" to Windows 8, and they throw away their mouse. Then they buy really crappy speakers that actually sound worse than the cheap 2.0 speakers that came with the computer, but they believe that the new speakers are better because they have a subwoofer.

Comment

The ridiculous C2D prices ...(that make me wonder if theres some incredible consipracy where people are using these? when the motherboards that support them have to be fairly rare at this point? and in limited supply?) I know thousands of ebay sellers that just remove the C2D sell it on ebay and throw out the rest of the system... so where are people getting the motherboards to run all these C2D's????

I love C2D dont get me wrong, other then my main gaming PC im running it in everything.

The other craziness is that the C2Q xeons (like xeon l5335) go for 10 dollars for a pair on ebay (unless you try to get the max speed), and the L series further more is so power efficient its better then anything but servers that came out on ivy bridge or low power sandy bridge parts. Theyre so cheap and overpowered i could see a market for some sort of consumer board in 3rd world countries to run these.
                                        Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

Working...
                                        X