Yo my IDE cable did not work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yo my IDE cable did not work.

Hi I got serious problems with this AMD computer. A Tiny Computers case, with some old crappy parts. A MS 6340 motherboard.
    Also I have trouble putting Artic silver 5 thermal paste on the CPU.
    It sort of does not stay there.

I'll edit this post with a picture with the IDE cable.
    Then maybe get another one.
    One hard drives bad the others okay.

( Included pictures for you too look at )

Is that a bad cap on this Inno3d tornado Geforce2 MX400 AGP card.

Last edited by Fast Alpha; 03-10-2013, 03:07 PM.
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg305.pdf

Re: Yo my IDE cable did not work.

should remove the old thermal paste from the cpu before putting on AS5 and some of those caps on the motherboard look bad if there bulging there bad maybe show some closer ups of the capacitors and that cap on the video card does look bad.
    My Computer.
    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

http://img9.*************/img9/1707/...fcapsblack.jpg

http://img145.*************/img145/1650/bad00101.jpg

http://img23.*************/img23/1042/caps100112.jpg

Comment

Those capacitors don't look very healthy... one or two by the memory slot looks like it has its top a bit swollen, same with one by the agp slot.
        But I'm not sure if it's worth spending money on such old board.

As for thermal paste, it actually looks like it's too much paste applied. You really should clean the old paste before, going as far as using acetone or isopropyl alcohol to wipe the heatsink and cpu of old paste, then apply a bead or two of thermal paste in the center of the cpu die (when you press the heatsink, the paste will spread evenly) or applying a very thin layer of paste over the cpu die. But very thin, not a blanket.

With such cpu and heatsink, how the paste spreads and how even it is won't matter much, it's just important to have some thermal paste there to transfer heat.

IDE cable ... if the cable is not physically bad (wires cut or insulation stripped) and all the pins in the connectors (motherboard and hard drives) are there and not broken or bent, there's very small chance the mb is faulty.
        Most often the problem is actually with configuring two devices to be both master or slave, which causes conflicts.
        I see you have two hard drives on an ide cable - make sure one is set as master and the other as slave, there's a jumper there by the ide cable.

On MOST (but not all), the first pair of pins if you put the jumper on tells the drive to be master, the second pair sets the drive as slave (or jumper completely missing can also tell the drive to be slave). Anyway, each drive should have the setting for those jumpers written somewhere, on the label, on the plastic connector or on the pcb of the drive.

Comment

I see five bad caps. The three between the CPU and RAM are all leaking out the bottom.

It looks like you're trying to apply thermal paste without removing the original thermal pad.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
            I see you have two hard drives on an ide cable - make sure one is set as master and the other as slave
            Or seeing he appears to be using an 80 wire cable, jumper both drives to CS (Cable Select) - then the drive at the end of the cable (usually) will be Master and the one on the middle connector will be Slave

BTW, 80 wire IDE cables can go faulty - I've got two or three of those in my junk parts collection

But as advised previously, you need to replace those faulty capacitors first

Then apply the AS5 properly, and not use too much (quantity about the size of a grain of rice) - Arctic Silver site has application instructions

To remove old thermal compound I use the solvent auto body repair shops use to prepare for paint refinishing - it's called Prepsol in Australia

Followed by a final clean with Isopropyl Alcohol
            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

first I replaced the AS5, it kept coming off when I checked so it put a bit more on.

I am buying a IDE cable with this.
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have repaired a loose PS1 dual shock pad and soldered speaker wires.
              But I cannot solder any new capacitors on the mobo.

I have a soldering iron and braid. But don't know what to get and how to do it ?????
              don't think I want to chance it at all. NOT EVERYONES A GEEK.
              Last edited by Fast Alpha; 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

plenty of "how to" examples on these forums.
                if an 11 year old can do it most anyone else can round up the stuff and do it too.
                there may even be a kit for that board in the store.
                and yes an 11 year old hit me up for some polys on the local 2m repeater.he recognised my call as my username here.had been reading here for weeks.
                and he did a fine job on his first board.
                in your case you dont have a whole lot to lose.
                its not going to be stable as is and its value to most is for recycling.
                if it does not survive into the recycling box with it.

Comment

You need a small amount of AS5. It's not "coming off", it's spreading out. Clean the thermal pad off the heatsink, Put a small amount of AS5 on the core of the CPU (grain of rice, as stated before), put the heatsink back on, and forget about it. Don't take the heatsink off to check it, because then it won't be effective any more.
                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

take 91% isoprobyl and a paper towel and rub 100% of the previous junk off both of those until they are 100% clean

take a 1/2 grain of rice shape dob and put it on the die. Take a plastic bag and rub it THIN on the die

yeah and replace the caps
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

you can also get stuff to help remove the thermal material Arctic Clean. made by the same company as As5.
                      My Computer.
                      AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                      Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                      Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                      500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                      1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                      2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                        take 91% isoprobyl and a paper towel and rub 100% of the previous junk off both of those until they are 100% clean

take a 1/2 grain of rice shape dob and put it on the die. Take a plastic bag and rub it THIN on the die

yeah and replace the caps
                        Been there done that. I also put AS% on my dell CPU.
                        Fans went down to zero.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/de-soldering-braid-222591

Can I use this to remove the bad caps.

Where is the kit you said to get kc8adu.

Comment

Maplin generally is shit quality stuff.

You don't need desoldering braid to remove capacitors, but it helps. For motherboards, it's more important to have a powerful soldering iron - one of those that plugs directly into the wall may not be powerful enough.

Once you get the solder liquified on the back side of the motherboard, you can either use the desoldering braid to suck the solder or you could just wiggle the capacitor a bit to extract it out. Often, the amount of solder is too small and the copper on the back side is too much spreading the heat and cooling the solder right away and it's just hard to pull the solder with braid. The wiggle back and forth and pull out may work better in this case, the only risk would be to have solder stuck in the holes... but in this case you can just add a bit of solder and push the new capacitor's leads through the holes.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L4iv_m0ZgE

Comment

I have got silver solder is that okay.

What caps do I buy and from where ?

Hmmmmm second thoughts.

Comment

Silver solder would be OK, provided it's not some kind of solder for pipes, plumbing etc

Since you're in the UK, probably your best place to buy capacitors would be one of the stores below

* Farnell : http://uk.farnell.com or
                              * RS Components : http://uk.rs-online.com/web/?&cm_mmc..._-MainWorldMap

As for what brand... you'll have to tell us what's written on your current capacitors and then we can suggest proper replacements. You can't pick just any capacitor, the capacitors on motherboards are somewhat special.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Alpha View Post
                                Where is the kit you said to get kc8adu.
                                Scroll to the very bottom of this page, then click on Capacitor Kits
                                better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                                  Scroll to the very bottom of this page, then click on Capacitor Kits
                                  Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
                                  System Manufacturer: Tiny Computers
                                  System Model: MS-6340 version 5
                                  BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
                                  Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz
                                  Memory: 512MB RAM
                                  Page File: 362MB used, 882MB available
                                  Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
                                  DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
                                  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
                                  DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
                                  ---------------
                                  Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
                                  Manufacturer: NVIDIA
                                  Chip type: GeForce2 MX/MX 400
                                  DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
                                  Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0110&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_B2
                                  Display Memory: 64.0 MB
                                  Current Mode: 1280 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
                                  Monitor: Default Monitor
                                  Monitor Max Res:
                                  Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
                                  Driver Version: 6.14.0010.8195 (English)
                                  DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
                                  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
                                  Driver Date/Size: 11/11/2005 12:47:00, 3924992 bytes
                                  WHQL Logo'd: Yes
                                  WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
                                  VDD: n/a
                                  Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys

http://img89.*************/img89/3585/amdcrap.jpg

Maybe you need more info, these capacitors are crap. AMD cheap and nasty shit for stingy people.
                                  Nearly and some Intel boards have this problem. Do they still sell them.
                                  Too lazy to look now,you want me to put all the caps info here and you'll help get the right ones.

Last edited by Fast Alpha; 03-13-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Alpha View Post
                                    Maybe you need more info, these capacitors are crap. AMD cheap and nasty shit for stingy people.
                                    Nearly and some Intel boards have this problem. Do they still sell them.
                                    Too lazy to look now,you want me to put all the caps info here and you'll help get the right ones.
                                    AMD has nothing to do with the caps, the MB manufacturer does. AMD isn't 'cheap and nasty shit for stingy people'. The Athlon Series was ahead of its time, too bad it didn't have any built in thermal protection. And the Athlon 64 beat Intel to the punch with its IMC and whats still today some call 'amd 64' instruction set. Intel didn't start making an IMC chips until Nehalem in 2008

anyhoo. you match up the voltage (v) and microfarad (uf) and try to get as close to the diameter and length as you can with these caps:

https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=23

Comment

Like Uranium says, AMD is not actually crap. Performance wise, it was often and is often faster than Intel.

AMD based hardware is often seen as less stable than Intel, simply because since AMD processors are cheaper, buyers often also use cheaper motherboards, low quality memory or power supplies.

This is not the case here.

The capacitors used are actually not that bad.

The ones marked with KZG are United Chemi Con KZG and at the time they were some of the best capacitors on the market, every motherboard manufacturer used them, for both AMD and Intel systems.

It just happens this particular series has problems that only started to manifest years after they were used... it's not even admitted officially but here on this forum, the people repairing stuff know this series has issues and often replacing them fixes problems.

The green ones are Teapo capacitors. Here, the opinions are split.. some call them Cheapo and don't have a good view of them, others (like me) consider them acceptable. They're certainly much better than other brands of capacitors which are often found in cheap motherboards.
                                      The company making them sells a lot of capacitors so it's only normal to see them often.

Well what can I say... is it that hard to WRITE DOWN WHAT'S WRITTEN ON THE CAPACITORS ? i didn't ask for screencaps of your Windows.

On those brown ones it's clear from the pictures: 1800uF 6.3v KZG but on the green ones I can only see the capacitance on the large ones: 2700uF 6.3v . On the other side of the capacitors there should be written TEAPO and some codes - two or three letter ID and some other numbers. Those tell use what series of capacitors are those and what specs they have, what diameter they are and so on.

The smaller ones are also important, I can't even the capacity and voltage, not to mention the series code.

Comment

price/performance-wise AMD and intel have a funny little relationship that changes all the time. Right now the best price/performance is intel, but thats only 1 or two chips that are $49-$59, once you so past that, into the $69-79 area, AMD wins price/performance, and when you go into high performance, AMD has some good offerings, but if you want MAXIMUM performance intel i7's are the way to go, if you must have the highest performing chips, be prepared to pay a hefty price

I prefer intel-based boards cause intel fake raid is better than AMD fakeraid. If you're going to go fakeraid, intels matrix storage manager is an awesome piece of software. AMd's raid xpert just sucks

Comment

Working...
                                        X