Multimeter Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multimeter Recommendations

I'm looking to buy a new digital multimeter as my current ones are of dubious accuracy. Anyone have recommendations?

As for a price point, obviously less is better, but if someone gave a bunch of great reasons why I need a $200 Fluke or something I would consider it. That said $100 +/- (USD) would be something I'm comfortable with (though I love a deal). Brands, accuracy, features, anything worth talking about would be interesting to me. I've never owned one that I can calibrate so it would be interesting to know what a consumer can normally adjust himself vs. something that maybe is professionally calibrated. When would a hobbyist want to get a multimeter calibrated?

I would use it for basic electronic projects, though I would like it to be accurate enough for something unexpected (<= 1% for most features). The ability to measure capacitance would be very nice, an audible continuity test, clips and probes. More measuring features would obviously be better then less. As I learn more about computer and electronics repair my needs will grow too. I see some have the ability to measure temperature, lux, decibels, and other things I wouldn't normally think of.

Maybe I am not sure where to look, but there seems to be a lack of multimeter related discussions on the internet that I can gleam insight from to make a knowledgeable purchase.
    Last edited by MixMasta; 04-06-2007, 07:09 PM.

Re: Multimeter Recommendations

Newark has the Fluke 110 for $130. It seems like it might have the features and kind of accuracy you need.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

But Fluke doesn't make that model anymore and Newark is out of stock?

Comment

Must be a recent change. The model 115 is available through Newark, though the website says it is not in stock (2 week lead time), and the price is $150. If you don't care about being able to measure capacitance, the model 114 is in stock and is $130.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I like them, the accuracy is 2% though. Really the 170s are the ones I probably would need to get and they are over $200. I guess I was hoping someone would say that they have a nice meter thats some other brand that met my specs and price target.

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Must be a recent change. The model 115 is available through Newark, though the website says it is not in stock (2 week lead time), and the price is $150. If you don't care about being able to measure capacitance, the model 114 is in stock and is $130.

Comment

Depends where you live.

US Link:http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...egoryId=604065
            Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
            Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
            160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
            Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
            160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
            Samsung 18x DVD writer
            Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
            33 way card reader
            Windows XP Pro SP3
            Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
            17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
            HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Australian link pricein A$: https://secure4.vivid-design.com.au/...=&SUBCATID=558

Search for Digital Multimeter on eBay
              Last edited by davmax; 04-08-2007, 07:02 PM.
              Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
              Samsung 18x DVD writer
              33 way card reader
              Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

eBay Example: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DIGITAL-MULTI...QQcmdZViewItem
                Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                Samsung 18x DVD writer
                33 way card reader
                Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

Well this really threw me for a loop... which one do you suppose is right? (Hint check DC accuracy)

Comment

The latter PDF is from Fluke's website and is consistent with what I saw several days ago, also on Fluke's website. The Test Equipment Depot PDF looks like an incomplete, possibly preliminary or corrupted, version of the Fluke PDF. I have no problem trusting the Fluke page - they're putting their reputation on the line while TED is merely risking slightly reduced sales and the cost of updating their website.
                    PeteS in CA

Comment

I was just browsing Jameco's current paper catalog and noticed that they also have the Fluke 115 for $150. Jameco also has the Extech MP510, which has better DC accuracy specs than the Fluke 115, for $140. They also have the Meterman 37XR, similar specs to the Extech, for $130, but the Capacitance measurement tops out at 400uF. The Fluke and Extech DMMs can measure up to 9999uF.

I've used some Extech instruments, though not DMMs,and found them satisfactory. I must sound like a test equipment snob sometimes. Working in (mostly) engineering labs in various companies with 50 up to 10,000 employees is very different from being self-employed or a hobbyist - different needs and economics - so yeah, I'm spoiled. I believe that either the Fluke or the Extech models would serve you well - accuracy and durability - but you know your needs and budget.
                      PeteS in CA

Comment

i think my most expensive multimeter cost $15
                        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I just received my Fluke 175 that I bought off ebay New for $120. Ebay seems to have a bunch of the 115 type that typically go for around $100 and I was happy to pay the bit extra for the higher accuracy of the 175, which retails for over $200. I am happy!

Comment

I just got this meter two weeks ago.. I like it so far, and its a good price.. I was looking for an easy to use temp monitoring model too

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...RMOMETER_.html

Comment

I have enjoyed measuring the capacitance of my caps since getting my new meter. Its nice to see 3300 uF Samxon register over 4000 uF while the junk caps I am replacing get readings like 63 uF for a 3300 uF cap. If I could do it over I would probably buy one with a temperature probe too.

Comment

Working...
                              X