X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
    As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
    So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
    where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
    bf25490c9a44519ca473c7e42cd3a1463c8f0b98 helow im jack from Athens ga im a computer geek got a vp50-hdtv20a got sound but no video I got the back off it but how to find out for sure which board is bad am computer man not tv

Comment

Hello everyone! I am from Quebec city.

Sorry, but my English is bad writing, but I understand, google is my friend.

I saw this forum looking for the problem samsung ps50c550, and wow, there is not just Samsung who has the problem of plasma.

(How to test Samsung control board) me test does not work and I try to understand

Comment

Hi Guys!
        I've been into electronics and geek stuff since I was a kid bad in the 1970's. I built my first computer when you actually built it with a soldering iron. Mine was from Heathkit and I built not only the computer, but the monitor too
        Now, I'm that guy down the street who has his house all animated for Halloween and has his Xmas lights blinking to music. Right now I'm restoring a BK Precision 2120 Oscilloscope that I bought on Ebay for $1.00 The darn power supply board has be stumped, but I'm slowly working through it. I hope to meet some nice people here and I'm always looking to learn something new or offer any knowledge I have to help. See you on the forum!
        DogByte

Comment

hello to all.my name is jan,from bratislava,slovakia

Comment

Hello fellow electronophiles. I am Rich from NY and was given my parents ancient and heavy Phillips 42" Plasma tv which has the clicking issue. I am new to electronics at the capacitor level, but a computer tech and geek for over 15 years. I remember at my last job as Desktop Technician, we tossed tens if not hundreds of Dell Optiplex GX series machines due to bad caps. If I had only known then, I could have made a fortune. Thanks for inviting me to the forum, and good luck to all of you on your ventures to salvaging technology rather than tossing it.

Comment

Hello Guys! I'm from the Philippines. It's nice to have a Forum like this. It will help me a lot. Thanks a lot guys! God Bless you all

Comment

Hi,

I'm from Scotland, found this forum while searching for help with my tv. Thanks for any help that is given to me.

Comment

helo im new from croatia

Comment

Hello from Dayton, Ohio, USA. I'm new to the forum. Hoping to get some help with my LCD TV that stopped working recently. Good luck to all.

Comment

Hi my name is George and I live in Huntingtown,Maryland USA. I have 35 years experience in electronics and computer software. I began fixing mainframes in 1971 working on CDC 3300. I still tinker with TV's and computers from time to time. I am currently working on an Olevia LCD 242S11. Found this site and thought I would join.

Comment

Originally posted by s40ward View Post
                        Hello from Dayton, Ohio, USA. I'm new to the forum. Hoping to get some help with my LCD TV that stopped working recently. Good luck to all.

Hi my name is Joe Blake, I'm in Thief River Falls,MN, Im a computer guy with some electronics know how, I dilly and dally in the world of tech. Anyways I a free RCA 42LA45RQ ie 42in hdtv, so I'm try to get it to work. Which I think I know what the problem is. Anyway I was did like joining tech forums to learn more about stuff. So I'm glad to know ya

joe

Comment

Hello, my user name is Meterman. ...Bet you can't guess what I do for a living?
                          I have been a mechanic most of my life, but started working on electronics about 13 yrs. ago when I went back to school for my job. I have been a lead electric meter tech for my local utility for the last 11 yrs. TV repair is new to me, so I need a little help w / diagnostics. Hope I can find it here.

Thanks,

John

Comment

Well.. like the rest.. I need information on diagnosing a couple problem TVs around the house..

Comment

Hello greetings from Italy
                              I'm 41 years old, i'm a computer fan since the commodore 64 was out ,i have a problem with my notebook compaq cq61 (power problem) and browsing the web i found this site and thought i would join.

Comment

Ran across this forum looking for information. Bought a tv cheap and looking to fix it.

Comment

Hi all,
                                  I stumbled upon this forum while trying to diagnose a plasma TV issue. I'm hoping there is someone out there who can share advice. I'm from the USA.

Comment

Just a quick message to say hello. I've recently started having problems with a TV and searching google this seems to be the best place for help. I hope that I can also be of assistance as my own knowledge improves.

Thanks ado_boro

Comment

Just getting my first post so I can start a new thread.

Comment

Hello. First Post. Looking forward to accessing the group knowledge here. I will contribute, if i can.

Thanks,

Bill

Comment

Hi All
                                          just joined the group.Retired electronics engineer started out in the r/tv trade big interest in restoration of vintage radio/test gear member of VMARS and licenced radio ham.regards keith.

Comment

Working...
                                          X