Why Lubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Lubuntu?

Noticed that most of the 2020 OS Survey choose Lubuntu. I use Linux Mint Mate 19.3 64-bit.

I can see Lubuntu is a smaller install, but why is it the flavor of choice for you?

Re: Why Lubuntu?

i dont use it.
    i wont use any distro that does away with a root account - ubuntu variants are trying to go the way of windows.

Comment

not only is it smaller install, its smaller memory footprint as well, lower resource usage, lower bloat, faster booting etc. no one likes a bloated os! *looks at windows vista!*

Comment

I use it because it's a lightweight distro with a lot of software support (because it's based on Ubuntu). The computer I'm running it on has 4GB of RAM, and Windows will run out of RAM shortly after opening a web browser.

I'm surprised at how slow it boots. There isn't a large difference in boot times between the installed version and the "live" version booting from a flash drive, and the flash drive I used was extremely slow (3.5MB/s continuous write speed).

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
          not only is it smaller install, its smaller memory footprint as well, lower resource usage, lower bloat, faster booting etc. no one likes a bloated os! *looks at windows vista!*
          Even with faster hardware now since I started using lubuntu in 2014, I stick with lubuntu due to the above.

Also with less default software/daemons/services, there is a smaller attack vector.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
            I'm surprised at how slow it boots.
            Post the results of

systemd-analyze blame
            systemd-analyze critical-chain

With a SSD (used 32GB), my lubuntu boots from cold start into a firefox in under 8 seconds.

I would love to get it under 5 seconds with some tweaking.
            Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-08-2020, 09:47 PM.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

SSD for boot here...

Heavily loaded Xubuntu 18.04.3 install goes from power button to login screen in about 10 seconds (excluding BIOS password input). 15-30 seconds if the system had a hard shutdown.
              Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
              RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
              Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
              - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
              - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
              - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
              - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                Post the results of

systemd-analyze blame
                systemd-analyze critical-chain

With a SSD (used 32GB), my lubuntu boots from cold start into a firefox in under 8 seconds.

I would love to get it under 5 seconds with some tweaking.
                I think it belongs in a new thread, but here it is.

systemd-analyze blame:
                Code:
                     29.590s apt-daily.service
                     20.240s systemd-journal-flush.service
                     16.823s ufw.service
                     16.093s keyboard-setup.service
                     15.706s dev-sda5.device
                     11.474s systemd-udevd.service
                     6.583s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
                     4.358s plymouth-start.service
                     3.789s NetworkManager.service
                     3.411s systemd-sysctl.service
                     2.860s networkd-dispatcher.service
                     2.664s udisks2.service
                     2.364s accounts-daemon.service
                     2.350s ModemManager.service
                     2.280s nmbd.service
                     1.666s gpu-manager.service
                     1.616s smbd.service
                     1.453s avahi-daemon.service
                     1.268s wpa_supplicant.service
                     1.153s systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
                     1.095s lm-sensors.service
                      955ms systemd-modules-load.service
                      894ms apt-daily-upgrade.service
                      872ms motd-news.service
                      784ms packagekit.service
                      711ms resetmsmice.service
                      703ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
                      589ms apparmor.service
                      551ms upower.service
                      532ms polkit.service
                      526ms plymouth-read-write.service
                      509ms systemd-journald.service
                      487ms grub-common.service
                      406ms systemd-random-seed.service
                      405ms swapfile.swap
                      396ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
                      370ms rsyslog.service
                      362ms user@1000.service
                      311ms systemd-resolved.service
                      297ms systemd-rfkill.service
                      261ms kmod-static-nodes.service
                      259ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
                      258ms dev-mqueue.mount
                      224ms systemd-logind.service
                      165ms lightdm.service
                      163ms plymouth-quit-wait.service
                      151ms systemd-timesyncd.service
                      119ms setvtrgb.service
                      110ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
                      61ms apport.service
                      52ms systemd-remount-fs.service
                      45ms alsa-restore.service
                      38ms pppd-dns.service
                      27ms systemd-update-utmp.service
                      17ms kerneloops.service
                      16ms hddtemp.service
                      12ms ureadahead-stop.service
                       8ms systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service
                       5ms systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service
                       5ms dev-hugepages.mount
                       5ms sys-kernel-config.mount
                       4ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
                       4ms systemd-user-sessions.service
                       3ms console-setup.service
                systemd-analyze critical-chain:
                Code:
                The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the "@" character.
                The time the unit takes to start is printed after the "+" character.

graphical.target @38.599s
                └─multi-user.target @38.599s
                 └─smbd.service @36.982s +1.616s
                  └─nmbd.service @34.698s +2.280s
                   └─network-online.target @34.696s
                    └─NetworkManager-wait-online.service @28.113s +6.583s
                     └─NetworkManager.service @24.321s +3.789s
                      └─dbus.service @24.262s
                       └─basic.target @24.259s
                        └─paths.target @24.259s
                         └─acpid.path @24.259s
                          └─sysinit.target @24.238s
                           └─systemd-timesyncd.service @24.086s +151ms
                            └─systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service @23.915s +110ms
                             └─systemd-journal-flush.service @3.673s +20.240s
                              └─systemd-journald.service @3.163s +509ms
                               └─syslog.socket @3.162s
                                └─system.slice @2.886s
                                 └─-.slice @2.857s
                I don't have an SSD in that computer, so maybe that's normal (the speed difference when reading lots of small files). I don't think that computer is worth upgrading, and having more RAM would remove the only reason I have for using Linux.
                Last edited by lti; 01-11-2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Oh gosh 4GB is not enough memory on a binary distribution? so sad, I really need more cpu/memory... I'm still running Gentoo on a 2GB machine, and it's actually building its updates, rust/firefox and all... takes forever and a half but it's still chugging along.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                    I don't have an SSD in that computer, so maybe that's normal (the speed difference when reading lots of small files). I don't think that computer is worth upgrading, and having more RAM would remove the only reason I have for using Linux.
                    38 seconds for a traditional spinning disk isn't bad depending on the the CPU and hard disk. I think it was about 25 seconds when I had a traditional hard disk on a dual core E8400.

Try these 6 commands to cut down the boot time to under 30 seconds.

sudo systemctl disable smbd.service
                    sudo systemctl mask smbd.service

sudo systemctl disable nmbd.service
                    sudo systemctl mask nmbd.service

sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
                    sudo systemctl mask NetworkManager-wait-online.service

I also disable the following services/daemons on my Lubuntu setup.

sudo apt purge ppp modemmanager apport bluez whoopsie avahi-daemon

Lubuntu with a browser should run fine with 1GB to 2GB DRAM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Got it down to 5.7 seconds with some tweaks. Trying for < 5 now.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yeah, already said, it's fast, small footprint, less resource hangry, smaller attack surface and quick updates (Debian tends to be slower in publishing newer versions of SW in their repos).
                        I also find LXQT quite stylish.

Comment

I also use Mint . I have used a few other distros, but never tried Limbuto.

Comment

Just downloaded Lubuntu beta 20.04 and installed it on my test machine. Posting this using it.

So far so good.

Lubuntu 20.04, when released in late April will be installed on my main machine.

I will do a complete clean install, reinstall all the apps (only 4 or 5) and reconfigure everything from scratch.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi guys is Lubuntu 18.04 better than Xubuntu 18.04 or is same thing? to install on Desktop EMachines ET1331G, AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250u Processor, i've tried a few distros but i end up going back to Xubuntu

Comment

Just downloaded Lubuntu beta 20.04 and installed it on my test machine. Posting this using it.

So far so good.

Lubuntu 20.04, when released in late April will be installed on my main machine.

I will do a complete clean install, reinstall all the apps (only 4 or 5) and reconfigure everything from scratch.
                                https://www.infoworld.com/article/31...n-xubuntu.html

Do you guys agree with this?;

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
                                  Hi guys is Lubuntu 18.04 better than Xubuntu 18.04 or is same thing?
                                  X or L, it really doesn't matter.

I chose L back in 2014, because it used less resources than X. Back in 2014, I was still using P4 and low end dual cores with only 1GB DRAM so I had to be very picky about which OS used the least amount of DRAM.

If you like X, stick with X.

Now that I have faster dual core machines with 4GB DRAM, I still stick to L.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
                                    That article is 3 years old and much has changed.

LXQT 20.04 is now > 1GB ISO and comes with LibreOffice.

Again, either L or X are excellent choices for older machines. Pick whatever makes you happy.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks guys and keep up this great Forum

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        i dont use it.
                                        i wont use any distro that does away with a root account
                                        Besides servers (they all have root accounts), I set Mint up on cheap systems all the time for clients.....mainly to use as web browsers/socialist media/email systems....if I told them it had no root account, they'd stare at me like I had 2 heads. Some systems are better off this way.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                        Team : 49813
                                        Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X