Flash HP 450 G5 using Arduino - wrong file size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash HP 450 G5 using Arduino - wrong file size

I'm trying to flash an HP Probook 450 G5 (2XY63EA) BIOS using Arduino.
    It's the first time I try this procedure so maybe I'm missing something stupid.

I've been able to unsolder bios chip (Winbond W25Q128JV) and wire it up to Arduino.
    I also dumped it succesfully (dump.bin).

Now I'm having a hard time trying to reflash it, because the bios file I downloaded from HP has the wrong size.

I downloaded bios from HP (https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp103...0/sp103710.exe).

When launched, the executable extracts a file (Q85_011101.bin), that has a size of 11469376 bytes.
    The tool can also put bios on a USB pen drive for flashing. This procedure creates a file on the pen drive (firmware.bin) whose size is 11470016 bytes.
    The content of this file is the same as 1), plus a small header.

These two files are not accepted by Flashrom because are they are not the right size. The expected size is 16777216 bytes. This is actually the size of the file I dumped from the chip.

I tried to compare bios files with the current dump: I expected to see the same content + some padding, but while the content is similar, these files are definitely different, also in their "structure" (first bytes, last bytes,...).

Is there a way to convert one of the files provided by HP to something I can flash with Flashrom?

I tried to open them with UEFITool but I don't have enough experience on this to end up with something useful.

I attach all the files.

Thank you!

Roberto
    Attached Files

Re: Flash HP 450 G5 using Arduino - wrong file size

Your dump.bin looks broken... Read 2/3 times and then md5 them!

Comment

The mainboard doesn't boot, so I expected to have a broken dump.
      What I'm interested in is a way to convert HP provided bios file(s) and reflash it.

Comment

HP does not provide full dump. Just the bios region. Copy that file and go to address 700000. Then paste it. It should replace bios region. Use FIT to fix ME region aswell.

Comment

Thank you RethoricalCheese,

700000 is decimal or hex? At both positions in dump.bin I can't see something similar to the content of HP bin files.

I searched for "Flash Image Tool", but I can't find the right version. I understand that the version I must use depends on the mainboard chipset.

It seems that this notebook uses Kaby Lake-U.
          I tried v8, v9, v10 and v11 from https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/in...ols-2-15/30719.
          Unfortunately, none of my files are recognized.

There is another way I can try: I have access to an identical notebook.
          I could dump the spi chip and flash this dump to the defective one, but I'm worried about serial numbers, etc.

Thank you
          Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-07-2023, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Try this bios at post #16 https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72879
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
            X