X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Optiquest Q9 no power

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
    04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
    PS. My 1st post and I read the FAQ about attaching pics.
    So it has been a little over 4 years since I did this first capacitor repair.

It has been working fine until a couple of days ago when I got these lines all across the screen. See picture. (Note to people asking for help, I shot this handheld at 1AM with no sunlight and a 1/15 shutter speed using macro mode, but as you can see, it is clearly in focus and legible.)

Switching form 60Hz to 75Hz made the problem go away for a day, but then eventually the lines came back at 75Hz.

I took it apart and was prepared to change out the voltage regulator and/or the Capxon caps on the main board. After some tests, I found voltage regulator to be within specifications and all voltages were steady and stable. While I don't have a scope or ESR meter, I did take some VAC measurements on the main board to see if there as a significant amount, but I didn't see any.

Rather than recap the entire main board, I decided to reseat all the connectors. Volia, the monitor is working and the lines are gone.

I decided not to recap the main board due to cost even though I like this monitor. I also decided to leave my original crappy soldering job intact, as-is, to see how long it would last.

Notes:

On my power board, it outputs a single 12VDC rail. Since most people leave their monitor plugged into the AC outlet, the 12V is on all the time even if their monitor is turned off. The crappy Capxon capacitors on the 12V rail simply bloat and die after a while. The originals in mine lasted about 4 years or around 35,000 hours. They probably died well before that but since I'm not the original owner, I can't verify when problems starting happening.

The Rubycon's I used for replacements 4 years ago are still nice and flat and output a solid 12.24V.

PS. All my computer stuff is connected to a power bar and once I'm done, I turn off the power bar thus removing all standby voltages.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 08-24-2014, 05:09 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      Since it was my first attempt, I went cheap and got the cheapest soldering iron.
      Hard to believe, its past 10 years later since my 1st repair and the Q9 is stil in daily use everyday.

That and a bunch of other stuff I have fixed throughout the years.

Thanks to badcaps.net members, past and present.

Hoping to fix more things for another 10 years.

PS. I don't post much, but I still visit badcaps.net daily and skim the subject headers.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes it is quite fun to look back at some old repairs.
        Some of the stuff I repaired did not last more than a year when it was new.
        And now it has been over 10 years since being repaired.
        Amazing what the bean counters can do
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
        X