LG OLED 55EC930V Horizontal flashing lines problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LG OLED 55EC930V Horizontal flashing lines problems

As a help forum it is always extremely useful to have good guides to solving problems. I am sure that a write up from you would be extremely useful to some when they have a similar problem.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Since after 3 compensation cycles (12h of viewing in total, checked the number inside IN_START) the panel still shows some vertical bands, though I see sort of improvement, I can't find how to force a deep pixel compensation on this model (please help if you know how) I also checked the service manual. It says to do VCOM adjust after replacing the T-COM (please see attached extract).

So do you know what the VCOM is exactly? Is maybe a voltage measurement? Can do the VCOM be responsible of these vertical lines?

PS: I'm sure is not a panel problem, it was without any banding before the original tcom failure.

Thank you
      Attached Files
      Last edited by maxino; 05-06-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Vcom may be in the service menu
        Here is what it's about
        https://www.edn.com/simple-vcom-adju...upply-voltage/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2bFK_vm-cw
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Yep, the banding is a known issue that is worse on the older OLED's, no fix for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
            Yep, the banding is a known issue that is worse on the older OLED's, no fix for it.
            Thank you for your help. I found how to force the pixel compensation at every shutdown, just put 0 into IN_START/OLED/Compensation (instead of 4, means 4 hours)

But after 6 compensation, no improvement, so yes, no fix for it, I'll try to do a reballing of the old TCON but I think the problem can be a FPGA silicon fault, so we'll see... Billys told me also his set have the same issue. Sure the TCON "is" the problem, sure you get something to watch at, but replacing it will never restore the set to it's max.

PS: I had search a lot for the VCON adjustment but on this TV there's nothing like that, even if the service manual for this model says it, what I read in the top left corner of the spreadsheet is LCD TV, in my humble opinion is a mistake.
            Last edited by maxino; 05-06-2020, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Finally I found the damaged component. Is a Micron eMMC 8GB memory next to the FPGA named U698, (41A18 JWA07 NAND MTFC8GLDEA-1M WT) responsible of storing the basic OSD (volume control, source info, ecc..) and unfortunately, the screen factory calibration. Replacing it with an identical component of a donor board, works but the screen vertical lines remains. So no definitive fix for now.
              The only way that pass in my mind, is to read both the original and the donor board NANDs, find the location of the screen calibration by comparing the two, and then flash the new one with a custom merged ROM.

If someone have some knowledge in this matter and want to help... thank you!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by maxino; 07-25-2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

vertical bands appear only when ribbon cable swapped or T-CON driver boards or some time MB replaced.. this all happen of changing the resistances of ribbon gate. to bring them back only by calibration equipment, which are expensive more than new TV for private user.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                  vertical bands appear only when ribbon cable swapped or T-CON driver boards or some time MB replaced.. this all happen of changing the resistances of ribbon gate. to bring them back only by calibration equipment, which are expensive more than new TV for private user.
                  Sorry but I have to desagree please see attachments on my previous post here:
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...3&postcount=37

these bands shows with a new TCON. When LG replaces an OLED panel, the kit came with a TCON altready installed on the panel, probably because the TCON is custom calibrated only with that OLED panel.
                  When I soldered the old TCON eMMC on the new one, the TV showed exactly the same behavior as I opened the topic, so it is clear the problem is the defective eMMC that stores the factory calibration. In fact, the lower bar, the only piece of image the TV shows with the new TCON with the old eMMC does not show any vertical band.
                  Last edited by maxino; 07-25-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maxino View Post
                    Sorry but I have to desagree please see attachments on my previous post here:
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...3&postcount=37

these bands shows with a new TCON. When LG replaces an OLED panel, the kit came with a TCON altready installed on the panel, probably because the TCON is custom calibrated only with that OLED panel.
                    When I soldered the old TCON eMMC on the new one, the TV showed exactly the same behavior as I opened the topic, so it is clear the problem is the defective eMMC that stores the factory calibration. In fact, the lower bar, the only piece of image the TV shows with the new TCON with the old eMMC does not show any vertical band.
                    i do know LG deliver OLED Module with T-CON driver boards with 4 ribbons installed.

i am talking on the issue you suffer as billiy

so we are at same boat.

if you talking on your fault T-CON driver.. always the answer replace as you did.

Comment

What horrible technology, a screen control board that needs 8Gb of data... that's surprisingly ..
                      a screen then a 2000euro tv that needs to be replaced for an error on a memory on that board... engineers are going crazy...
                      how do you have sent In-Stop?
                      The problem is not much finding calibration data on a memory but reading that memory that needs to
                      posess a professional eprom reader.
                      Last edited by Davi.p; 07-31-2020, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                        What horrible technology, a screen control board that needs 8Gb of data... that's surprisingly ..
                        a screen then a 2000euro tv that needs to be replaced for an error on a memory on that board... engineers are going crazy...
                        how do you have sent In-Stop?
                        The problem is not much finding calibration data on a memory but reading that memory that needs to
                        posess a professional eprom reader.
                        Yes, horrible, they clearly pushed an early prototype tech to the masses just to be the first, otherwise why the TCON have an Altera(now Intel) programmable FPGA chip(!?) and a big eMMC memory like that? Clearly to compensate an un-optimized screens production line, where every screen came out with unique defects that have to be forcibly compensated by a custom by-zone calibration stored into an eMMC... almost unbelievable. Not counting the price payed for the set itself...

The IN-STOP was sent with a WAV to IR interface.

Now I'm thinking on buying a professional programmer, is around 150$, but read and write directly on the TCON will be better and since I'm sure this will not be a one shot try and solder-desolder the eMMC more than once will destroy the chip itself very soon. Unfortunately I'm not able to find the data connections by using a microscope, the board may be multi-layered and I don't know where to find the schematics. If someone have them, very welcome!

there are a lot of probe points, and more... there are two dedicated cable headers currently not used... see attachment
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by maxino; 08-01-2020, 12:45 AM.

Comment

I was asking where do you have found the wav for instop, i've searched for hours without result. If you can provide to me a link or the file thanks.

Todays technology is afflicted by the onnipresent problem: the solidity of the chips, them are always thinner and thinner and much more integrated, the growt of functions and resolution is evident in tv between pre 2010 and after, the faults and the gravity of them growt in same way, unless you power supply them with a battery instead of a unstable electricity net theese are the results. I only one time seen an FPGA on tcon, it was on a 2007 Samsung and it suffered of BGA contact problems, the only one with this problem i've seen, it was Altera, there's not so remote possibility that the emmc/nand was ok but you with the hot reflowed a bit the FPGA unwanted and restored it, but ruined the emmc (??). There's a specific programmer for theese electronics called RT809H and costs about 130 euro with only basic accessories, you don't need other ones, it is needed oscilloscope and some training unfortunately by Chinese websites.
                          Last edited by Davi.p; 08-01-2020, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Anyway i'm not so sure that OLED uses the VCOM tension, since i don't know if oleds suffer from image retension, since your first photos after screen board change seems yes. In lcd usually vcom is generated by a sepaeate chip, here i think is integrated onto main chip, so a correct flash programming is the only way.

Comment

In attachment the Wav to IR files with my notes.

This TV unfortunately does not use VCOM, I'm unsure if its a general OLED rule.

About the FPGA, I tested the surface for temperature spikes that could eventually stress the solder lead free balls. For me, this Arria does not produce enough heat, I also removed it from the old TCON, LG in this case made a great job, the FPGA has a plenty of lead solder! Then after a proper reballing I resoldered it, the problem came out exactly as before. So I moved the original eMMC on the new TCON I purchased, and with it, the failure. So I'm sure, the eMMC is the problem. And we are talking of a 5$ eMMC... 5$ that made a 2500€ 55" TV a piece of junk.

In attachment the Programmer I found
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by maxino; 08-01-2020, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Sorry i forgot a passage, yes maybe the first case of emmc failure i've seen. In your first posts you told about a calibration, do you know what it makes? maybe in service menu there's an auto calibration system that uses special pattern images. I see i your pic that white balance returned NotGood, is there a way you can access a white balance setting? for example pressing 4 in menu 1?
                                can you photograph menus 8 and 13?

Another thing, you are not sure about the tcon FW update success because the menu doesn't show the version, when you say Micom is tcon it s not true, it is a standby prcessor inside the main processor or outside on the main board, it will never be on a "tcon", so it is possible that you still have an old FW on new tcon due to fact that not every update contains an update for micom or tcon, maybe i that update there was only a micom FW.
                                Last edited by Davi.p; 08-01-2020, 03:51 AM.

Comment

In attachment the Programmer I found
                                  This is just the adapter for holding the eMMC it is not the programmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                                    Sorry i forgot a passage, yes maybe the first case of emmc failure i've seen. In your first posts you told about a calibration, do you know what it makes? maybe in service menu there's an auto calibration system that uses special pattern images. I see i your pic that white balance returned NotGood, is there a way you can access a white balance setting? for example pressing 4 in menu 1?
                                    can you photograph menus 8 and 13?
                                    You mean the EZ_ADJ menu? BTW I have to remove the faulty eMMC first, since with that one I can see only the lower part of the image. Before doing that I have to study the right Programmer and/or find a way to program the eMMC on board.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                      This is just the adapter for holding the eMMC it is not the programmer.
                                      Is an eMMC to SD converter, since both uses the same pinout, is a very simple piece of hardware, the only thing that costs is the socket. With a WinHEX or similar software you can compare both images (donor board and original board eMMCs) and find the differences so "in theory" the compensation pattern, if not damaged, merge the images, and reflash it to a new eMMC.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...archweb201603_
                                      Last edited by maxino; 08-01-2020, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Is an eMMC to SD converter, since both uses the same pinout, is a very simple piece of hardware, the only thing that costs is the socket. With a WinHEX or similar software you can compare both images (donor board and original board eMMCs) and find the differences so "in theory" the compensation pattern, if not damaged, merge the images, and reflash it to a new eMMC.
                                        Apologies, it was hard to tell from just the screenshot. It looked just like an adapter for my RT809H.

Comment

Did you ever get to the point where you could compare the images of the eMMCs? Or possibly swap images to see what happens?

I am in the same boat as you with a 55EF9500 model. In my case, it would display vertical lines across the screen that would sparkle/shimmer. They would go away and come back randomly it seemed. I just replaced the T-CON with what seems to be an identical replacement as far as model, version, and other numbers on the board. It showed image retention from its previous TV home, but setting the compensation interval to 0 and turning off the TV cleared that up pretty well. Now I'm getting wide vertical bands... but the rest of the picture looks great.

I don't know if this TV is worth all this effort of buying a programmer, etc, but it still interests me. Depending on what you find, I might dive in for the heck of it. Is it possible to read the eMMC while it's on the board?

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                          X